Unofficial Reference Guide to CTD Solutions

You might want to try deleting any profiles that you might have made for your sidestick and throttle quadrant using the preset manager, and revert to default.
I had continually CTD after SU6 that took me a month to solve and it was all caused by a throttle profile for my Warthog, that must have been corrupted somehow during that update.
Simple in the end but did it cause me some trouble.
Good luck.

1 Like

Geforce exp no more works

My I experience with (as it seems) eliminating of CTDs.

I stabilized my RAM and since then (cca. two weeks from 4.12.2021) I had zero CTDs. Look into your system stability, RAM, GPU, CPU. Try not to OC if you are not 99,9% sure it is stable. Stable also means it does not cause any errors not only it doesn’t crash your PC.

Please report back your findings.

What do you mean by that?

I’ve put the right fine tuned voltages in parameters for my particular RAM sticks which I overclocked, beside other system settings in BIOS.

In short: stabilize your system as much as you can !!

I have not seen a single CTD for weeks now.

P.S.: I will report as soon as I get one. I hope I won’t have to.

Update:
I have installed NVIDIA driver 497.29 and turned Game Mode ON → This led to CTD at MSFS start up. Reverting back to Game Mode OFF.

friedofroh

1m

Hi, since SU7 there’s a CTD issue related to the freelook mode. When in freelook using “next pilot position” the sim crashes to desktop. My workaround is to save custom cameras for each camera I use and never touch the next/prev pilot position. Indeed I even cleared these inputs from my profiles to not accidentally hit them.

1 Like

This may be a long shot. I have been playing Far Cry 6 and Halo Infinite (sorry guys I have not played FS for some time) and was getting CTDs with them. In Event Viewer, the error message was Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. After trying different drivers with no success I eventually took my graphics card out, gave it a clean where there wasn’t much dust on it had only been in a year on a new build. Anyway, I plugged it in and connected the power cable from the card to the motherboard and my CTDs have gone, or if I do get one that error message isn’t displayed. So it seems to me I may have had a bad connection either where the card connects to the PCIe slot or the power cable connectors. I’m running an Intel i5 10600k CPU and an Asus GTX Strix 6 GB gaming card which I hope to upgrade to a 3060 or maybe a 3050 which is coming out at the end of the month.

1 Like

Try flying with just the keyboard and if no crashes, introduce your controls one at a time.

Why Asobo - not roll back to a stable version, then look for a solution

1 Like

I realized that The Azure Text To Speech options was causing me CTDs every time when getting landing clearence from tower. Since I set it to Offline no CTDs since.

2 Likes

Folks, a mostly overlooked but simple root cause for „random crashes“ is the power supply unit in your PC - especially if it is running near its limits or is even exceeding them!

Now as we know MSFS is a very demanding application and is driving certain GPUs to their limit. The combined power draw (CPU, RAM and GPU) is considerable and if your power supply is „shaky“ this is very frequently the cause of such „random crashes“.

Solution? Buy a bigger power brick! :slight_smile: Or otherwise try to lower the power consumption, by reducing screen resolution and all that.

Random references:

1 Like

SU-8 i had constant CTD’s in every flight, i turned off DX12 and went back to DX11 , CTD’s gone

1 Like

You can add the following fix to the CTD on loading screen which is caused by a corrupt exe.xml.

2 Likes

Think turning off (HAGS) Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling should be in here.
Had issue’s with this for the last 4 or 5 sim updates. Often new GPU driver update would fix it again then next sim update it starts causing guaranteed CTD for me.

5 Likes

I would agree with that. I itself struggled long time with these setting and I decide to set this permanent Off.
The wicked thing with that setting is: it just works sometimes and then, with an gpu driver update or any kind of windows update the whole system can crash randomly or a game (not only msfs) run into strange issues.

May be it can also moved from the ( bit older) Performance-Hint-FAQ https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016142680-All-versions-How-to-improve-the-performance into the Trouble-Shooting-FAQ as “at least try to disable it”.

2 Likes

I haven’t read through all the CDT posts but did manage to capture one on video along with its end error screen.! Since this site won’t take .MOV files or iPhone screen shot images directly… I will edit with added files after conversion…

I used to have a few CTDs, once or two per month, with time I got CTDs more frequently, I started to think that something was wrong with my system when other games started to crash too, So, I run memtest86 to test my RAM, it found a lot of errors, I bought new RAM sticks and since then no more CTDs.

For those with a dreaded memory could not be written error:

Do you have the RAM speed overclocked (XMP) by any chance?. I just turned-off the XMP o/c on my board and let it run at the standard board speed and MSFS is now working fine…

Worth checking.

PS: Tried posting on the original thread but the system won’t let me because I am a new user???

2 Likes

I finally resolved CTD and PC rebooting issues in MSFS2020 with my AMD Radeon 6900XT GPU by modifying settings in AMD Adrenalin software.

in “Settings → Graphics” I selected Power Saving profile and set max FPS to 60. Now my GPU temperature never exceeds 60C in MSFS and I can fly hours without crashing.

also, before that, in “Performance → Tuning” section of AMD Adrenalin I put everything to Default and rebooted PC, may it’s also relevant.

It’s a screenshot how to set profile and limit fps
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/uploads/default/original/4X/d/6/c/d6c10df547084d503fb9b5bcb5c320764cb64637.jpeg

1 Like

I have over time had several crashes, inexplicable and unexpected. I have done quite a bit to solve this problem and may have found a solution that works for me. In the BIOS I turned off XMP (overclocking memory). This seems to have worked for me, don’t have a good explanation as to why it works, but it does. Maybe this can be solved for others too

1 Like