Unusual (?) Icing

If my Airbus looks like this, am I doing something wrong?

All the anti-ice switches were on, and the windows didn’t ice over, and as far as I could tell, neither anything else.

Mine looked the same, I was also wondering if that’s normal.
If it is, I guess I’ll rather disable icing entirely since that’s not how it should look.

The icing system is a bit finicky. What is displayed in your picture is what would be termed severe icing - icing accrued in areas of the plane that cannot be contained or when de-icing systems are not enough. You may not have seen icing on Windows due to window heating and leading edge surface heating, but there would be no way for icing to be removed by the systems on some of those locations (near the wing struts, underneath the cockpit, the tail plane) on that aircraft. I’ve never flown an airbus nor through severe icing IRL but have seen unfortunate errors resulting in almost complete icing of the airframe similar to this picture. My advice is to avoid the pink and red as much as you can :wink: the weather radar seems to do a somewhat sufficient job at painting where and what weather is to be expected.

1 Like

Flew today EDDF-LFPG with cruise at FL300. I don’t think that there is such a severe icing situation to be expected in late summer…
Seems like MSFS is a bit overreacting here.

It is. Jets would never get that much ice unless something was VERY wrong…

I’m not sure what your conditions were set to (or live), but there is still some interpolation with live weather and what is represented. Icing can occur at pretty much any level with 10 degree C temps or lower with visible moisture. The amount of icing you can receive in those conditions varies cloud to cloud. Like I said, the icing system is a bit finicky and your specific scenario might not have been very realistic with the conditions you were in.

1 Like

It just occurs to me now that it maybe wasn’t my fault at all but the game’s, because I saw this a few minutes after coming out of a “travel to descent”, after which a number of things were off, mostly relating to the autopilot.