Upcoming UK Update and Community Packages

Hi All,

Just had a thought after spending some time with the SDK. I’ve started to create some scenery for the UK (2 months at it now full time). I’m self-employed at the moment and have to support this from my own savings. Hoping to make a little income from it.

I noticed that it’s not possible to remove/exclude Asobo landmarks (or wind turbines). I’m hoping to have this ready by the end of January:

My worry is… what if Asobo release the same landmark in the next update? Will our Community packages be overwritten by the new landmarks?

Does anybody know?

Cheers!

3 Likes

Sorry I don’t have the answer for you but if as I suspect that’s the Humber Bridge you’ve done a cracking job. Living in the area that was one of the first landmarks I went to look at and was so disappointed in what I found. If this is the quality of landmarks you’re producing you deserve huge kudos.

1 Like

Well done. We do need more UK orientated content - it is such a shame to see our wonderful famous landmarks as boxes, i.e. Lincoln Cathedral and Castle.

3 Likes

Not even with exclusion polygons?

1 Like

Thanks @Grufflyric,

It is indeed the Humber Bridge. It’s taken a while and I’ve probably spent too long on it, but there’s been quite a steep learning curve with the 3D software and the Developer SDK, but I’ve almost cracked it with a lot of trial and error. I’m from Hull and had the same experience, absolutely love the sim but went a bit limp exploring the estuary.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it very much. The release should be quite soon, it’s about 95% complete, but some issues with lighting and beacons that can’t be completed perfectly due to some limitations.

Thanks also @UpscaleSmile83 really appreciate the positive feedback.

I couldn’t agree more on that, they help a lot with VFR. Just need to figure out this landmark policy.

1 Like

Hi @hobanagerik,

Thanks for your reply.

It does indeed appear to be the case. Wind turbines are not auto-gen, same with the landmarks. The exclusion poly will only exclude the auto-generated things, the vegetation, water, terrain etc. Hence a tad concerned if I’ve dedicated 2 months on something that could potentially be replaced by a landmark provided with the UK update. *disclaimer: I’ve not checked on the development roadmap yet

Frustrating.

No landmarks of any quality in current UK except London

I made a Bush Trip and included Silverstone, it is there and modelled pretty well and even includes the Porsche Experience Centre which is next to the Hangar Straight.

No Forth Bridges.

RSC in Stratford is a blob

No Tower or Piers in Blackpool.

Liverpool bears zero relationship to what it is like.

Etc

Brilliant as the Asobo programmers are, I’m not convinced that they are going to be able to improve everything - well not at this stage of the development. Remember the US update wasn’t what everybody was hoping for and despite Asobo having access to new data I still feel they’ll have a way to go.

I have built up quite a collection of UK TP addons which in theory should now be redundant. But I’m going to hang on until the dust has settled before deleting any of them. Inevitably some will not work but I think for those that aren’t featured as “improved” in the UK Update the TP devs will quickly bring in improvements, especially as I see Asobo/MS are mentioning improved SDK in the promotional blurb.

As an aside, in particular I’d like to see better optimisation - some of the addons can cause long delays in loading the game. (I hasten to add, I’m no programmer and have every respect for the devs who make these things!)

They’ll probably just stop working. I made most of the Scottish scenery packs that are available including the Forth bridges one. I enjoyed making them but I kind of gave up because every time Asobo release an update something usually gets broken and stops working. I got a bit fed up getting messages from people asking me to fix broken scenery for them. Its just a never ending task.

If you’ve going to start asking money for scenery packs that you make just be careful that none of what you make is already copyrighted. If you’re ripping stuff from Google Earth you’ll need to license it from Google, which may make things financially not worth the effort.

Couldn’t you try to make a small quick landmark in Japan or US and see what happens? It’ll probably work the same way for the new UK scenery they’ll release.

The Forth Bridges are “forth”-coming, as I believe you know. However, I spot-checked some of the other landmarks you talked about in this comment and your Forth Rail Bridge comment, and I see no Wishlist topics or bug reports for any of them dated from 18 August onward.
If you have not logged your requests in Zendesk, may I suggest logging them there or here in the forums if they do not appear in the UK world update. (If you log them here, please only make one topic per landmark.)

I did start to report to Zendesk but gave up.

Far to many actions to take and boxes to tick.

Understood. I know what you mean. I keep a text file open and copy out of it whenever I log a Zendesk ticket.

That’s a nice looking rendition of the Humber bridge. I hope you are able to work around the problem. I guess you’ve seen this video, but I’ll link it anyway. He uses an exclusion polygon to hide an existing bridge.

I’m not quite clear on the distinction you’re making between landmarks and scenery. I thought landmarks were just used to pop up the label when you’re flying, though I’m certainly no expert on scenery design.

Even if it turns out that Asobo’s version of the bridge is different to normal scenery, you should be able to find out which .bgl file it is defined in and the give users of your scenery instructions on how to disable the Asobo version, though some users might be relucant to do that, and it would mean that you would have to model anything else that happens to be in that .bgl.

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess the only people who know the answer to the question “what happens if Asobo create a landmark I already did and released” are Asobo.

I released the beta on 2nd Feb anyway for the Humber Estuary. Final version should be ready this weekend, with enhancements and additional sea fortresses. It seems to have gone down ok.

Infiltrating the file system to eliminate Asobo landmarks is a potential work-around, but in a commercial sense, probably not a good idea.

Ticket posted to Zendesk. I guess wait and see is the only option.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.