Update 1.19.9.0 self installed on wrong drive

Wow, don’t know what happened, but it seemed like this last update was taking forever. SEVEN HOURS! Usually I’m ready to goin in less than 1 hour.

Doing some troubleshooting using task manager, I noticed my E: drive was being written to (folder WPSystem).

My E: drive is a slow mechanical HDD, I only use for misc. backups.

I verified that I used the default installation path (C:…) provided by the update. The sim now takes forever to load and it looks like from task manager, all the files are now being accessed on E:!!

I also have a D drive (SSD), used as a mirror of C:

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I have to figure this out and fix it. VERY Slow. The sim is supposed to install on my fast SSD drive (C:).

Sound’s a nightmare. By default the sim itself will always install on your system drive but updates will usually depend on where your packages are installed.

If it’s just the packages that have moved to the HDD you can move them to your SSD so long as you have more than enough space and that you update the path in UserCfg.opt

That WPSystem folder has something to do with this mess. I don’t have that on my C:.

I have plenty of space on the SSD. I only use this PC for MSFS but am reluctant to change anything until I can understand what happened.

The sim works, it’s just slow as molasses. Here’s the folder structure:

Image-0014

And, here’s the MSFS guts installed on E: !!

If it were me I would uninstall the sim and then reinstall with the shadow drive disconnected

I’m thinking the same thing.

Reinstall #43,231.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don’t know too much about RAID except the the system treats it as a single drive and I guess priority goes to the lowest in disk number (usually 0). Pay attention to the small box that asks where you want to install your packages but if it starts downloading to the wrong place then pause and update the right location in UserCfg .opt, infact in your position I would just pause to check the path anyway.

I’m not using RAID, just a traditional file copy backup of profiles etc.

Here’s the screenshot of the installation window.

Well that certainly looks correct but the big question is why it writes E in your UserCfg file? … Maybe you might find clues in disk management.

I have had another thought if it applies. You did rename your existing package files back to Community and Official didn’t you otherwise they can’t be seen? Windows Roaming has strange ideas sometimes.

No. I have never changed any of the folder structure. I’ve always figured, leave things as default.

When I get time I guess I will uninstall, reboot, disable both my D: and E: drives and reinstall. See what happens then.

Out of interest where are your system and other programs installed?

I keep MSFS and all system stuff on C:, all MSFS support apps on D: (P2A, LNM, REX etc.) With Lots of free space on all.

Then sorry I can’t fathom it but I hope my couple of tips help.

Good luck

Yeah, appreciate the input.

I just setup to fly kmdw and got a CTD.

Reset and it worked.

Going to reinstall as soon as I get a few hours to waste.

Thought I would update this post with the latest drama as the story just keeps getting better, really.

SO, I went to do some flying Again. A nice cloudy day here in Chicago and low and behold, an update appeared. No surprise there. I captured a screen shot and happened to notice it was the Same 1.19.9.0 update that installed on the wrong drive last week.

So I opened task manager to see what drive this same version that installed last week was going to install on, and guess what? This update is installing on the correct drive, C: !! And Much faster.