Update: Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod (v2.10 / Dec 27, 2022)

Yeah, flew over the high school I went to, the houses I grew up in, etc.

I was telling my mom (who is a bit of a gamer herself) about all the technology that went into building the world simulation and she was curious what those areas looked like.

One thing I noticed - the white arc on the airspeed indicator (and possibly the other arcs) looked slightly different between the exterior view HUD instruments and the gauges in the cockpit. Maybe that falls into ‘not being able to tweak the 3D models’, but if it can be adjusted it might be worth double checking. (It’s also possible it’s fine and I just wasn’t paying close attention)

1 Like

Ah so you spotted the white arc! Yes it’s something that is super-imposed by the gauge itself and does not respond to the correct numbers I put in. So currently I can’t fix it (tried for hours), so will need to ignore it for now. Is bugging me too, and will remain on my list until I stumble upon a solution (another gauge perhaps). The green/yellow/red I repainted manually using Photoshop and reflect the correct numbers as well as match the HUD display.

1 Like

I love this answer and I approve! :grin:

1 Like

Hi, of course I’m regarding the Carbon mod. I was confusing with Coolant Temp gauge which is the one I’m used to check on startup in my real P92 (912ULS).

Ok good to confirm that, in which case the CHT bug is acting up. It should work just fine, but I have seen it do weird things on several occasions (one of those bugs in the sim). Nothing much I can do about it in that case, it should behave properly most of the time. I suspect an Asobo bug, but if not, keep a look out for the next update. There are some tweaks in there for the CHT too.

If you suspect something else, maybe can provide me more details. How fast do you expect it to heat up…when…how much…etc. I’ll be glad to do what I can to make things work the way they should, whenever it is within my abilities.

I just wanted to say thank you for creating this fun plane. I modified the vl-3 to make it cruise at 225 knots. It was way too slow, but a beautiful plane to fly.
This plane is a fun way to escape for an hour. I had fun using this plane in the eastern Australia, brisbane, gold coast, Kooralbyn area. Just looking for a challenge to land in small areas is fun with this plane.

1 Like

Thanks! You modified the VL3? You may definitely want to check out the VL3-915 project then, which is a major update to the original. I’m part of the team there as well and mostly did the flight model and some liveries. You’ll love it!

And the forum link:

@GotGravel- as an old Champ driver, first - thank-you! I have enjoyed this mod.

I have been moaning about the KmH ASI since I discovered the Savage Cub and was very happy to see the conversion. With the throttle back, she flies very familiarly… with high alpha and power- hold on! If there is one thing I would like to see further work on it is the yaw axis… at the moment she flies as though she has a YD… and as a TD pilot, I am much more used to using my feet. Rudder response is more than adequate and perfectly predictable- just that yaw, p-factor and adverse yaw (not as much) seem very muted.

Also, since you solved the ASI, could you please consider changing fuel labeling to Gals, VFR to 1200 and Oil and CHT to F so that it is more authentic for an American Bush Plane…at the moment it’s got a hybrid feel :slight_smile:

Small issues to be sure, the mod is very, very enjoyable, and I remain obliged.

Carl

2 Likes

Hi Carl,

I’m sincerely very glad you enjoy this plane as much as I seem to do. Also appreciate your fantastic feedback! Will message you separately for more details as I am very keen on incorporating your real-plane experience into this model.

See you in the skies I hope…need to organize some Discord flight soon I think for all us cub drivers :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me, I’d like to see a classic Cub all yellow livery and bigger tundras (but that probably involves tweaking the 3D model). Thanks for your work!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the input here, Carl. I’m even happier that I could share this one with you if it means that it gets even better because of it. :smiley:

1 Like

YOU and your team are ACES with me!!!

Ta Rob- C

1 Like

Fantastic aeroplane. Brilliant for bush flying. Thankyou so much for all the wonderful work

1 Like

A perfectly delightful way to end the day with @Steve Dra… thanks @kaosfere4829 and especially @GotGravel- she’s brilliant ( and getting better :slight_smile: )

I will be doing my TNCM, TFFJ, SABA, TNCM rotation A LOT in this beauty!

C

2 Likes

I set out to answer the age-old question…Will it ArkanSTOL? Prior to the braking issue turning it over on the prop, the answer was a resounding No Way. After the update, though, this beast does very well there. It’d be even better with a competent pilot, but here’s my result below:

Savage Carbon - ArkanSTOL Course

2 Likes

Fantastic graphics! Really like having the ASI and altimeter at the top of the panel, so you can see them while looking out front. Nice job.

Any chance of making ground handling more realistic? Landing sideways never results in a ground loop, and turn radius is way too large. Should be able to ‘blast’ the tail with propwash, or use differential braking, to bring the tail around, too.

1 Like

I was happy with power on the backside of the curve providing a very predictable and controllable descent rate. I was able to tweak the descent exactly as I wanted… and look at where I stopped! Really linking this mod, and looking forward to the yaw axis improvements. @anon99207371 had some excellent markers… and getting the feet active is step one… once that is in place, this will really be a gem! Thanks so much @GotGravel!

C

2 Likes

Ok at work atm, so a quick reply:

Ground handling more realistic: yes! already in the coming update, and yes, you CAN blast the tail with propwash in the coming 1.0.3. Tighter turn radius: check. Differential braking works already but may not always be very obvious perhaps (will see if I can improve). Ground loops … unfortunately the sim does not simulate this at the moment. Hopefully in a future patch?

2 Likes

Nice movie on the ArkanSTOL course @CaptHawkeye50 !

1 Like

Glad you discovered slow landings while using the backside of the power curve…very stable and accurate method (the propwash gives the rudder and elevator more authority). It’s so much fun to practice and execute! And of course … keep that stall horn blazing just before touchdown :wink: