Update: Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod (v2.10 / Dec 27, 2022)

I hope you had an opportunity to watch my video, in one of my posts above. I sounded like a Shill for your aircraft. lol and all serious, you did do a great job and I’m looking forward to flying it until Microsoft/Asobo on the next update breaks it hehe. Cheers DIon Youtube: #dionm01

PS: Thanks for letting us know that there is no fuel switch.

1 Like

Watching your vid is next on my list…omg an awesome 41m review! Did some quick skips and I am impressed, looks pro. Thank you :slight_smile: Gonna watch it now. Cheers!

1 Like

I just added a new section in the opening article of this forum thread:

PERFORMANCE

• This information is also found on a placard on the left side inside the cockpit
  • All performance data is obtained at sea level under ISA (clear skies) and MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weight) conditions

Power Settings

• TAKE OFF POWER 5800 RPM
  • MAX CONT POWER 5500 RPM
  • 80% POWER 5500 RPM
  • 70% POWER 5000 RPM

V-Speeds

• NEVER EXCEED SPEED (VNE) 160kts
  • CRUISE SPEED (VC) 115kts
  • MANEUVERING SPEED (VA) 105kts
  • BEST CLIMB RATE (VY) 65kts
  • MAX SPEED FLAPS SPEED (VFE) 67kts
  • STALLING SPEED (VS0) 30kts
2 Likes

I like the Savage Carbon but don’t understand the Rotax 915 engine part.
In sim engine performance debug info shows something totally different then a Rotax 915.
Can you explain how this 141hp is measured?

Don’t worry about the numbers, just enjoy the plane.

2 Likes

I don’t worry just was curious, but why not use a more powerful engine in the name ‘sells’ better :wink:

2 Likes

I thought 141HP was good enough…if I put in the XCub’s powerplant (180HP) than we can replace the Falcon 9 :slight_smile:

Understand where you’re coming from, but as you definitely understand, simulating an engine is extremely complex. Asobo only has an abstract model (which is more computationally efficient I suppose). If I just “enter the numbers” she will perform nowhere near what she should. Likely will stall upon start even. So it’s a lot of tweaking to make her reach whatever desired performance, and achieve the correct cruise speeds. By the time we’re done with this (oil pressure, fuel pressure, cooling etc) then the output you are looking at in the screenshot has become meaningless.

Hopefully in the future we will have a better engine simulation. Right now … we tweak … make it work the way it should. Hence “don’t worry about the numbers”, as they just have no bearing to reality.

The end-result of the plane however does :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand it’s a pretty complex algorithm to tweak and get the right performance out at all levels as there is no real good documentation and understanding what really goes on behind the curtain. and performance on paper is not even comparable to a sim or real world scenario. no problem it’s a fun plane, nice work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :wink:

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this! Now, if ya really want to go crazy, swap out the engine with a 215 HP engine (that some real world XCubs have in them) add in a little porting and polishing, and the only thing the wings would be needed for is Torque stabilization. Don’t know if you could make that 10’ 5” landing though. LOL!!!

2 Likes

Haha … lol guys … next step a turbine engine perhaps?

Or a Merlin… or two!

Nice, thanks!

2 Likes

Nice shots! Where is it?

1 Like

Thanks! my CHT gauge is dead…any suggestions?

CHT is working for me, but it will only start to heat up during flight, trailing about 10 to 20deg behind the oil temperature. Sure you are flying the Savage Carbon? Cause the Savage Cub has a dead CHT.

Took this for a little tour around Vermont where I grew up. Great mod, trims out nicely, well behaved in those nice slow landings. Love the bright colored liveries (the stock aircraft suffer from an over abundance of white).

1 Like

NEWS FLASH

Coming in the next update v1.0.3 (end of this week or earlier):

• A refined simulation of the oil temperature. It will now go into yellow followed by red if you rev the engine at 5800 for too long.
  • You’ll also get at least one new livery, maybe more.
  • CG setup includes an important fix too…I spotted the engine being positioned forward too much by 20cm (oops!) … which does not sound like much but has a major impact on braking especially (resulting into those easy nose-dips). So nose dips will be harder to get, and brakes have been improved further. You’ll still need to apply full back pressure on the stick during braking, but hey…this is a taildragger.
  • Am also playing with an entirely redone Rotax 915iS engine simulation, but that may or may not make it in the next release…we’ll see. There are limitations on what we can do with engines right now, and one of them is get the correct Kw/Hp/Torque for each RPM. It’s a pain to configure and requires hours and hours of tweaking and trying. But I’ll get her as close and realistic as I can.

And in case you’re wondering, yes I do have detailed documents on the Rotax 915iS as well as the POH for the Savage Cub. Always right next to me in all I do.

Heating up the oil :slight_smile:
hotoil

If there is anything else you would like to see in coming updates, I would love to hear it. Only thing is tweaking the 3D model or sound is beyond my scope at the moment (e.g. those floats we want).

Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Vermont? Cool! It’s really nice to just hop in a plane and visit places you know. Love that aspect of the sim a lot.