Updating the sim is too complicated (too many steps)

Then you must be a slow eater., I too have a 50 Mbps connection, and my average download speed for the update was no lower than 45 Mbps, and there’s no way it would have taken me so long to eat my breakfast. Why does everybody insists on exaggerating their download times? :rofl:

I think my updates, all three that is, probably took about 40/45 minutes. I am not complaining at the time it took to download the three updates, I do think that even an hour was have been acceptable. I just would like to see it simplified into one.

However, I do see the sense in what you say when you make mention that the WU are (and quite rightly should be) an optional update.

I would love a more simple process too but the idea of keeping the World updates standalone is that not everyone wants them… for example if internet connection is slow or hard drive space is limited and you never plan to fly in many of the world update locations, then you can save time, drive space and bandwidth by not downloading redundant content.

There is definitely a problem that you can’t just click update and walk away though… as you say it requires intervention multiple times (first you have to update the launcher from windows store/steam, then you have to run it and wait for it to find the update in the game and confirm the update, then you have to go and find the WU and update, then you have to go and update content manager. All requiring human intervention at each step.

What I think would be great would be a checkbox in the launcher for what updates you want… for example “automatically update content manager content yes/no”, “install world update yes/no”

At least then once you’ve got the new launcher update you can just click go and leave it to its thing without having to continually come back to check on it.

That said the install was much faster for me this time around with high download speeds, so it wasn’t really an issue for me but I understand even when there’s no problem in MS’s end not everyone has fast internet and it can be a long process.

2 Likes

I was really amazed to see how fast it was this time. Early in the morning in the South of France, I suppose the server load was light and the 4G traffic not so dense,

And, for the record, according to my wife I am a swift eater but I took a little time to post a couple of messges on Avsim :grin:

Agreed. I waited for the clock to turn to 2100Z and then I checked for the update and there it was. I was expecting it to be a slow update as I thought thousands of people would be doing exactly what I was doing - clock watching. But it was a smooth update.

I wish Wildcard servers would be as fast when they release updates for Ark Survival. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes. Simply do 1. only. Everything else is optional (and hence separate downloads / steps).

1 Like

It’s not. The total download size was a few GB. I have a 1gbps line. Should take maybe 30 seconds.
Also it requires way too many manual steps and attention. Everything should be done by a single external updater (so it doesn’t use 20-40% of the GPU (150W of wasted power?) while updating - and that’s with Vsync set in game to 20fps).

It is not what? i was just saying how my update went was very quick yes was a few gb i’ve got a 200 mbs connection and still only took 20 mins or so. you’re seriously arguing over using 20-40% of GPU power to do an update isn’t that a teeny bit pedantic ? i really have never heard of anyone complaining that they wasted 150W of power on an update that’s a def new one. My only gripe over theses Sim and world updates is they are mandatory and can and have broken the game in the past we should have at least a weeks grace period but they do seem to be getting better as i said this was smooth and fast didn’t even feel like an update

I hope you understand that Asobo can’t do anything to optimize the store? In the last Q&A they talked a bit about this. They are pushing the store team, but as they said “the store isn’t the fastest boat out there”

So my guess is it is what it is. We have to wait until MS itself gives the Store more priority.

As usual on the Steam version, click, wait, goto content manager, click, wait.

Done in 20-30 minutes tops.

(also of note: east coast US, seems we are closest to content servers?)

1 Like

Is going to the store necessary? can’t they find another way to verify?

it took me about an hour to finally get the update button.

Second this point!

A few GB update on a 200mbps connection should take not more than a few minutes (you’re downloading more less 2GB every minute). Not 20.

Yes I am complaining about the GPU usage, because it’s completely unnecessary and just shows a lack of attention to detail. An updater should use 0% GPU, since it’s just displaying a static image and a progress bar.
I agree it’s not critical if it’s a small update like this, but I had a much slower internet connection before and downloading the full game took around 12-16 hours. Having the GPU work during that as if it was crypto mining is just wrong. All of that because some “artist” decided they want a 3D hangar in the menu background, which is even hidden by a full screen background during the update (but still rendering).
And yes… I believe that if a menu in a game uses more GPU than the actual gameplay, there is something wrong. Remember it’s only in the 20-30% if you turn VSync on. If you turn it off to gain frames it will be closer to 100% and the GPU will be getting to seriously high temperatures. Just for a menu…

But the store is not the problem. The download in the store is smooth and quick. The issues start when they take over in game with their own in-house developed downloader.

I think they should build the complete update process in the app, or indeed a dedicated installation app. Drop the store/xbox app part. Many people have issues because they are incorrectly logged in without knowing it. Then they don’t even see the update. They have to log out from the store and xbox app restart, log back in. Nobody understands this.

And for me, 1 more step (because I never go to the Xbox Store).

1. “Cool there’s an update”… go to my FS2020 directory and rename my Community directory and change an empty directory to “Community”.

2. Open Microsoft Store (it doesn’t say there’s an update when I look in my library, but does when I open to the page). Click on update and another window opens… “Huh? Oh, yeah, they’ve changed the process again, now it opens up the Xbox App automatically. Hmm, it didn’t do that before”

3. Updates in Xbox app. Close Xbox app (what do I need that for? I’m on PC)

4. Open MSFS - it starts an update (a few hundred MB I think? I forget, didn’t take all that long)

5. Go to Marketplace, find the WU, start install

6. Go to Content Manager, choose what else to update. Update all that.

7. Quit game

8. When finished, Start MSFS again and start a flight and fly around a bit. Quit game. (This resets the content.xml and I get to see if I get any immediate CTD’s with a default installation (kind of default as I do have some Marketplace purchases, which are not necessarily safe to use)(I haven’t had an immediate CTD in a long time. Haven’t had any in fact (I fly GA exclusively)).

9. Rename my Community directories so I get all my content back

10. Go out to all the stores I’ve purchased content from and see if there are any updates out there (there invariably are).

11. Install all my community updates. (I still refuse to purchase from the Marketplace except for those products that are Marketplace only. I will continue this practice until I get a receipt for those items I’ve purchased. It’s ridiculous they can’t do that.)

12. Go through and compare all the updated content, fix inconsistencies (fix version in manifest.json, since developers don’t so often, fix up aircraft.cfg because developers don’t do that file properly so often (park planes in “ANY”, really??? c’mon, and so many more issues it’s not funny. Wouldn’t it be cool if the SDK described all the fields in detail? SMH), reorder liveries so my favorites are on top and get rid of the ones I don’t like, change radio defaults to my favorites, etc. etc.).

13. Phew… Done.

Yeah, with all those steps (1-6) it took about 45 minutes I think. I didn’t time it. Not all that concerned about the time. But all in all that is a lot of steps to keep this running smoothly.

1 Like

I agree, never a problem. Takes about 15 minutes from time I go to the Store install and then done with the sim downloads and install. The process is smooth and fast. I enjoy the process because I get to see all the cool goodies I’m getting.

It might be useful if people say what platform they are on.

I imagine updating on Xbox is smoother? So saying updates go smoother doesn’t help those for whom it does not go smoothly.

Not everyone is aware of all the steps that are necessary for a smooth install on PC, and the best way to avoid CTD’s and possible issues with starting the game.

If content.xml is not reset each update, weirdness can ensue as addons get installed out of order.

Mine took about 15 minutes to update then on to MSFS2020. Once that started, I had a choice, download anything that may need updating in the content manager or go flying… My Choice…
So I updated Austrailia, all good and pretty speedy here… The other updates can wait until I have a bunch of spare time.

Never had issues before with any updates, I am now reinstalling the whole sim (PC, Market Place) as it decided to delete itself after getting stuck at the start of the update.

Not computer savvy, so don’t know why it did it, but it is very annoying as I have updated the same every time and it has always worked! I don’t think the installation process is bad, just a bit annoying when the error is pretty much out of your hands!

Hopefully the re-install goes well and I have a new, faster running and better looking sim… :pray: :rofl:

With them buying Activision/Blizzard maybe the can adopt Blizzard update approach. I find that works quite well for updates.