Upgrade from Ryzen 3600X

Hi guys, need some advice here in South Africa. I am currently running a 3600x with a RTX 2080, I am running Ultra preset on 1440p with frames between 30-40 on A32NX. It seems my results are better than expected, however I suffer from stutters when panning around. However, I am always Limited by Mainthread in the Dev mode option.

My question, I am looking at a 12600K to solve this bottlenecking. But that means new Motherboard as well, or should I go ryzen 7 5800x?

I any of this worth it, I am trying to not be cpu bottlenecked.

Personally with the other changes that are supposed to be coming this year, I would leave it 6 months as they may make more of a difference. There are lots of people on here with very high end machines that are reporting issues and they have spent thousands buying the most expensive hardware, but are still experiencing issues.

2 Likes

Trying not to be CPU bottlenecked in MSFS. That sounds familiar. Good luck with that.

Nothing will change. Bad time to purchase wait some time.

As stated, best to wait.

Until MSFS is optomized to make better use of and distribute workload more evenly across the available cores, chances are you will always be main thread limited.

I get it on a Ryzen 9 5950x with a 3090.

Except mine did. Went from an i5 8400 to a 10700k a year ago and kept the same GPU and got a performance bump in every airliner and glass cockpit aircraft. Not sure how it is now!

oddly, the higher end CPUs seem to suffer more. it’s so hard to tell what works and what doesn’t as there are so many different variables and updates.

glad for you that you have an improvement and I hope we continue to see improvements because when it is working it’s absulutley beautiful.

I upgraded from a 3600 to a 5600X and am very surprised at the gain in performance. Stutters have become a thing of the past, and frame rates are now (almost) always smooth and fluid.

Checking the before and after metrics with both PCMark and with 3DMark the numbers back up my “seat of the pants” observations.

Thanks, that is very important information that I am looking for. please share your GPU, Motherboard Chipset and Ram config please?

The build I have seems to work very well, but I don’t run it at “Ultra.” I use the default settings that FS starts with on setup, and those work great.

Here’s my build:

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite WiFi

Ryzen 5 5600X

Gigabyte 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance 3200 - 2 X 16GB

WD Black 1TB NVMe SSD

Corsair RM850x PSU

Two Noctua 140 mm fans in the ceiling of a Thermaltake V250 Case supplementing the four stock fans.

A Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU cooler

The GPU driver is version 21.11.3 released in Nov 2021 in support of the “GOTY” edition of MSFS