Upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

I am running on Windows 10 and am looking to upgrade to Win 11.

1. Will the upgrade cause any challenges with MSFS and related stuff that I have installed with me, including the Fenix?
  2. Will it affect the performance of MSFS?

I just don’t want to be in a position where I have to spend hours and hours to fix stuff.

I updated a month ago and had no issues whatsoever - except for one:
If you are running Discord, check audio input and output devices and select the correct ones.
Mine were set to Default and that did not work, I could hear my multiplayer but he coudn’t hear me.
Start Discord, go to Settings/Voice & Video and make your changes.

I switched 3 months ago… though I also switched to a new computer and thus had to reinstall MSFS and all adjacant software and hardware.

No problems. Smooth as glass.

I upgraded probably a year ago and have had no problems, but to be honest I couldn’t comment on whether performance was better since it was so long ago - many updates have come and gone since.

1 Like

10 to 11 is a pretty straightforward process. It should be basically seamless and the chances of a catastrophic failure and loss of data is close to zero.

If you do happen to notice some significant performance decrease then I would do a clean install of 11, this can be done without data loss. But I prefer when I have to do this to backup all of my data and do a 100% clean install and repartitions the drive.

Agree with what @DestructZero915 mentioned. As far as I can remember, I noted no effect on MSFS performance after upgrading, but it was so long ago that I probably most differences are related to MSFS updates rather than Win11 upgrade. The upgrade was pretty simple.

When I first went to W11 I reverted my install back to W10. Don’t know if things have changed as I only pancake mode now, but VR was buggy in W11. Screen jumped around slightest movement, and way too shakey. And yes, W10 does perform better. Ever so slightly, but it does (If you care about 1 to 3fps). I’m on W11 about a year now.

I upgraded a few months ago and had many MSFS updates on Win 11 and so far so good, no issues.

Updated to 11 on day one.

Had the oversensitive VR issue that was easily fixed by clearing the environment data in the Windows MR settings.

No performance degradation.
Would never go back to 10.

New PC W11 Pro on it, did have to reinstall MSFS on it. No issues, some videos on how to keep the W10 “right Click Menu” as the W11 one is not as good.
Then took old laptop and upgraded direct to W11 with not one issue period.
MS has fixed a lot of the issues which plagued the rollout of W11. So it’s way more stable and easier to use.
Many do not like the Windows button in the center, but I have 49" monitor so it’s great in center. There is setting to move it to left like w10.
If your PC supports it, now is good time EOL on W10 is in October I think, then to keep getting security updates, you will be forced to do it, be proactive now.

Thanks all. what about the settings like game mode and HAGS? Will they be preserved of do I have to go and configure them again as well?

I have i712700K with 8 P cores and 4 E cores. While researching, came across some articles suggesting Win 11 has a better scheduler for routing processes appropriately to either of P or E cores while Win 10 scheduler is more basic. Does that mean, MSFS on Win 11 will perform better in this case?

Hi xisumervoid, I recently built a new PC for my Dad specifically for MSFS and made a video about it where I installed Windows 11.

He has no problems at all, in fact it’s running extremely well.

The link to the video is here: Flight Simulator: NEW PC Build for my Dad - YouTube

1 Like

All of mine were preserved (although I’ve changed them probably a dozen times since trying to get that perfect balance). :slight_smile:

What you read may be true, but if this scheduling process made that much of a difference specifically for MSFS, everyone here would be upgrading in droves. From what I’ve read on this forum, most people seem to indicate no real difference and that it just “works fine”.

I have the same question.
In my case MSFS under Windows 10 in almost 8 of 10 tryes freezes/stops responding when loading flights since sim update 14.
I consider upgrading my PC to Windows 11.
So my question would be, if anyone has the experience, that MSFS will have less crashes, less freezes and less cases of not responding anymore after a Windows 11 upgrade or if there is no difference…
As I have seen before in several forum posts there are no significant advantages concerning the fps but the stability of the sim for me has a higher priority.

Any answer would be very appreciated…
Kind regards