Upgrading PC for MSFS questions

Currently I cannot use DLSS 3.0. only 2.0 and even so I really like DLSS in other games, I don’t like it in FSMS…it makes all the text on displays in the cockpit super blurry. Unless I am doing something wrong.

Yeah that’s a problem however the 4080 is much faster so IMO gauges shouldn’t look so bad. Also MS and Nvidia are supposedly working on a fix.

Seriously, turn this dev mode on and check things out, it really simply tells you all you need to know. I am 100% sure that you are already in a full CPU limit even with your current GPU on big airports, add AI traffic and it will be even worse.

how to turn on developer mode and the FPS counter in Flightsimulator?

In the settings, called “Developer”, turn it on and you get a menue bar on top of your screen, there, go to “Options” and select “Show FPS”

1 Like

so…no that I actually made the decision to upgrade first to 13700k before getting the video card I got the big shock…what the heck happened to mother board prices…??? have to pay double for same quality level than 5 years ago?

Question…I most likely go with DDR5. But out of curiosity. How much advantage would bring DDR5 over DDR4 in a game like MSFS? I could save probably around $300 if I stick to my old 32GB DDR4 and get a cheaper DDR4 board…

DDR5 can write a lot of data exceedingly fast but it’s latency sucks … so IMO not ideal for gaming generally, however for MSFS reaction time isn’t critical. It will be better I guess but not by much unless you already have problems with ddr4.

I literally just finished my upgrade last night. I went from a i7-10700k to an i7-13700k. Changed memory from DDR4-3600 to DDR5-5200. I have a 3080. I run everything full ultra 4K and TLOD 250 and LOD full. I get about 30-35 frames sitting at LAX with FSTL at 100% in DX11. I run into issues when I go to DX12. My VRAM runs out and I get some stutters. The fix is already been ordered. A 4090 is arriving next month. As far as GPU upgrades go, I started with a 1650 Super, 2060, and the current 3080. I noticed an improvement in visual quality and frames with everyone. Hoping the same for the 4090. Motherboard prices were a shock but I found a z690 ddr5 board for half the price of the same version ddr4 board. I just used the difference on the ram sticks. Thanks Newegg…….

which board did you get?

would you mind to do the same test with your configuration, but in 1440p? I am really curious what you would get on the ground at LAX with FSTL running. I would really appreciate it…I have a feeling that the improvements in the CPU limit wouldn’t be that much even in the lower resolution…

I got the MSI Gaming Edge Wi-Fi. Unfortunately the sale I got isn’t there anymore but it is still a little cheaper than the the ddr4 version. I purchased a couple weeks ago.

I can check 1440p when I get home from work later tonight.

Also should mention I use Iniscenes LAX.

You can go for a Z690 board instead, DDR4 and DDR5 available for reasonable prizes. I did my upgrade to the 13600K with a Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X D4 to reuse my DDR4 RAM and I am pretty happy. In 3DMark Time Spy I lose about 8% compared to results with DDR5 6000 MT/s with my DDR4 3200 MT/s CL14 RAM. 45-50 FPS over NY City with 1440p and most settings on ultra, using a RX 6900 XT.

I can’t speak to the specific CPU/GPU combo mentioned, but with the recent MSFS SU10 version on TAA/Ultra settings with terrain/object LoD 400/200 at resolution 2560x1600, my i9-12900KS / RTX 3080 Ti generates 55 FPS with the aircraft stationary in takeoff position at KLGB rwy30. In this condition, the CPU is the bottleneck with the GPU utilization only 52%.

If the GPU utilization is near 100% at the desired MSFS settings/condition, then the GPU is the bottleneck and should be upgraded first. But if the GPU utilization is less than 100% as in my example case, then a faster CPU/RAM combo is needed. One has to wonder, if the i9-12900KS at stock settings doesn’t have sufficient horsepower to generate 60 FPS in the example MSFS settings/condition, what CPU will get the job done, …maybe the i9-13900K ??

That would be awesome! Thanks!!!

Loading very complex scenery and photogrammetry, heavy airports, live traffic, etc. That’s very CPU dependant. Check all of your CPU cores and threads also, because you could be seeing 40% but actually there’s a core working much more than others.

Ok…thank you all for your input. I made the decision and upgrade to 13700k with DDR5 first. Ordered the first parts yesterday!

So many new video cards coming out right now. So I wait until the dust settles, let Nvidia fix their power issues, and then in a couple of months make a pick (most likely RTX 4080, since I want DLSS 3.0, especially for other games).

Ok, slightly too late, but I guess you will be happy with the 13700K, here are my results from Iniscene KLAX, first picture is with FSLTL AI traffic very early in the morning (5am local time set to about 9am for the test), second picture is with AIG traffic at around 70% (massive more planes), last picture is still with AIG traffic but higher up and another angle. User plane is the Fenix A320.

And this is with my little upgrade kit, a i5-13600K (stock) on a Z690 motherboard and my “old” DDR4 RAM (3200MHz CL14, 2x16GB kit from G.Skill). Resolution is 1440p, GPU is a RX6900XT

Thank you for doing those screenshots. Yes, I did actually settle on the Plattform. 13th gen with z690 board and ddr5 ram (which I ordered both) but I haven’t decided yet if I wanna get the 13600K or the 13700K. I really kinda want the 13700K, but something in the back of my mind tells me to get the13600K. Not because of the money savings but because of the better thermals and power consumption. But psychologically I have a hard time to upgrade from i7 to i5. Lol.

Same here, this was the reason I hesitated going on the i5, but I am happy with the decision. 70-75°C max. in my case, MSFS always below 70°C.

what cooler you using? I going to use Dark Rock Pro 4. Never had a problem with the overclocked 8700k…very cool