Upgrading R7 3700 to 5800X3D - Can I Use The Same Stock Cooler

As the title says can I use the stock air cooler that came with my R7 3700 for my new 5800X3D cpu?

ASUS Prime X570 Pro motherboard.

Thanks for your help!

I would safely say no as the Ryzen 3700x only runs with 65w TDP and the 5800X3D runs with a 105w TDP. So the 5800X3D will generate over 60% more heat so I doubt your old cooler would work.

1 Like

There are far better coolers than the stock AMD one anyway.

If you’re looking at a new Air Cooler, i recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212. Probably one of the best (if not the best) CPU heatsink on the market. I’ve heard people OCing their cpu pretty hard with this cooler without a sweat. Just be sure you have good airflow

This is the one i have with the double fans. If you have the real estate in your case i’d say get this one. I’ve had it since like 2016 and hasn’t cut out or broke or anything yet. CPU temps are a smidgen high for me but i think it’s because it 100% needs a new layer of thermal paste (you should replace that every 3 years). More importantly they are stable and consistent.

Otherwise, just pony up the dough and get liquid cooling. I hear Corsair has some nice entry level sets…

1 Like

I ordered the DeepCool AK620 before I saw your post.
Thank you and if this doesn’t workout I know what to get.:grinning:

1 Like

I’m using stock 2700x for 5800x.
No problems in the last 10 months

1 Like