Usage based failures

Failures based on the usage of the aircraft: instead of decades old triggers and on/off failures have different systems fail or deprecate depending on what you do to the aircraft. E.g. over-torque the engine for too long, lose shaft HP; let ITT go over nominal parameters, burn the engine; abuse the electrical system, cause electrical issues ; climb above the cabin pressure capacity, pass out due to lack of oxygen. Possibilities are endless, doesn’t have to be a fancy animation for anything, just a simple ECAS warning and simple adaptation of aircraft parameters would do for most of these.

Ideally this would enable an airframe system to be put in place where more than empty hours into a navlog and a fancy patch or logo one would have hours put into every single airframe, causing it to be more prone to maintenance or lack thereof depending on use. Maybe the mechanincs of it are not very “gamey” but I’m sure some of the brigther minds of the community could come up with something…

In addition to this, I would love to see event-based failures, for example:

• Have in-game volcanoes erupt to match their non-simulated counterparts. If an aircraft travels through the ash, cause engines to fail, damage the windscreen so the view is obscured, perhaps create an Elmo’s fire fire effect.

• When flying through birds, have some thump sounds and potentially engine failures/blood on the windscreen

4 Likes

maybe this is something that you might want to try, 14 day free trial and it has a lot more to offer

Okay. Since this new simulator is aiming to be revolutionary, I’d like throw out the idea of Asobo implementation of engine failures occurring to user abuse or improper use.

Hear me out before the dislikes. I would like this to be optional of course for those who want to opt out, but I’d like to push the realism further. Having a simple system that tracks events of exceedance and as these events tally up to a certain threshold, a failure would occur, along with repair times. If able to return safely, a lower repair time, a crash results in a higher repair time. Also, if the player chooses to, if an event has been tallied, the player can elect for preventative maintenance to either reset the event counter or reduce it.

Now here’s the benefit for those who want to participate. Obviously those that do are wanting the realism, but also for the reward of more gamerscore goals met. Almost like a badge of honor. You can have ones for surviving an engine failure, etc.

Please constructive thoughts on this. I think it’s a pretty neat idea. Sure, there will be many that wouldn’t want to participate, and that’s fine. But for those that do, it will be more icing on the cake and simulate the responsibilities of ownership/operator.

The aircraft down for repairs/inspections would be found in the hangar menu with a progress bar/counter. Maybe even adding simple animations for a mechanic and panels/nacelles/cowlings open or removed. Also in the flight building or flight planning menu, the aircraft down for maintenance would be dimmed and with the same counter/progress bar.

Note: Post merged.

3 Likes

This is pretty easy in principle to emulate- a lot of addons in P3D already do this with brake wear, engine usage/efficiency. (A2A/PMDG/Maddog/Majestic)

Right, but my idea is for this to be already implemented in the sim without the use of FSUIPC or another program like simconnect to output or input data to the simulator. If the sim already easily logs flights broken down by differing conditions, logging exceedance events should just be as easy.

All the 3rd party companies have to do is just model/write the appropriate code for the individual aircraft.

Edit: I misunderstood what you were saying. Agreed. If others can already do it, why not all? But still having the option to opt out would be a must.

The only thing that might be an issue or a challenge for Asobo to implement this is for failures regarding retractable landing gear. For that, they would:

-work on modeling the animations of the failure
-need to allow collisions with the ground without one or two gear, or all retracted or partially retracted.
-Also to properly simulate the physics involved with the gear missing. Example, sliding on the pavement or ground, the controllability of the aircraft during the slide, etc.

That will be a monumental task. Otherwise, any other type of emergency doesn’t really involve much of altering the model and collision detection.

definitely need to get more upvotes to get ASOBO’s attention!