USB - issues after Sim Update 5

There are a multitude of thread about USB issues, - Issues that have changed (or not) with each Sim Update.

With Sim Update 5, maybe its time to re-evaluate the current USB issues, re-define what they are, and hopefully discuss and work towards getting a solution for remaining issues.

For me, as a PC users, prior to SU5, I could unplug & plug in USB devices to MSFS, and the sim carried on running fine.

(1) The only exception was specific devices, like the Thrustmaster “Top Gun” FF Joystick, that would ALWAYS CTD the sim, when plugged in.

(2) Others have reported over the past year, that they find that plugging in USB devices, cause the sim to FREEZE for varying lengths of time, but that if they wait long enough (1-2 minutes) the sim then continues to run.

(3) Prior to SU5, I had no issue with pluging in or removing USB devices that worked with MSFS.

(4) Now, after SU5, I have the issue of a 1-2 minute FREEZE when I add or remove any USB device.

(5) I also experience CTDs when I try to create new USB profiles, or even select existing ones.

So, I am wondering what others are finding, both PC and X-Box Users.

I would maintain, that unplugging or plugging in a USB device, should NOT Crash the Sim, and that it should not take the Sim 1-2 minutes to recover from such a change.

Plugging in my HOTAS while the sim was already running was the cause of my only CTD’s ever prior to SU5, although it didn’t do it consistently.

Just tried it right now and I did get a freeze for 30 seconds or so but no crash.

This is a currently known issue I believe aosobo is already currently working on a fix for this since a lot of other things were also bugged during the sim update 5

Where is you get that information from ? I have never seem Asobo even mention or acknowledge any USB connectivity issues ?

It was an issued raised to asobo way before sim update 5 when the game would freeze completely when plugging and unplugging VR devices.

OK, that good to hear it was “Raided” … I assume in NDA Private Beta testing of VR ?

Selfishly, I hope it is an Issue with X-BOX as well, as it then might get more attention to be fixed… ??

Very small problem - my autopilot master in the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant is no longer coming on, although the button still works.

1 Like

Don’t worry it’ll get fixed I’m pretty sure they themselves use most of the hardware we use for testing so that’s why I’m 100% although they might of not acknowledge it publicly their working on it.

Same problem and for the reverse too

As others have mentioned, there also seems to be an issue with the USB profiles.
If they get corrupted ? or in a state that causes an issue, it not clear how to RESET them, and identify bad ones, as they seem to be stored on the MS servers, and your sim gets them from there… No option to RESET a given USB device back to the Current Version’s Default.

After a lot of messing about, deleting files, restarting the sim ON/OFF line, I finally got rid of any profiles that seemed to be causing an issue, and now the sim no longer CTD’s when I change profiles, or create new/copies.

Since user data is stored on the MS server, and downloaded when the Sim is run, I doubt if even a complete re-install would solve these Profile issues.

A lot of base issue with UBS devices, and their profiles, that I hope one day will get resolved by ASOBO.

No Flight Sim App should CTD when certain FS type USB devices are connected !!

I have a 20s freeze when I plug in game pad via USB now

You are doing better than me then – I get 90 sec Freeze !! but that’s better than a CTD !!

My engine 1 starter doesnt work on the TCA thrusmaster, and I’ve noticed my honeycomb bravo will not pitch up or down or turn left or right for brief periods.

1 Like

See as expected its gonna be fixed tmr read [BLOG] July 29th, 2021 Development Update

I hope to be pleasantly surprised :pray:

Even more so it then it does not CTD with the Thrustmaster “Top GUN” FF Joystick.

Really, how IRONIC will it be, when they release the TOP GUN update for MSFS, and the ONE Joystick that crashes the sim is the:-

The THRUSTMASTER (Dev partner) TOP GUN (Update Title) Joystick !!

Hello all. This may be completely unrelated (or not) but I sometimes get a 60-120 second freeze while flying.

This thread has me wondering if maybe some USB device is going to sleep in the background and exhibiting the same behavior as when a device is physically removed.

the 60 - 120 second Freeze (sound still playing) is what i got after SU5, before Todays’ Hot Fix, if I removed or inserted a USB device.

My symptoms are identical - the sound keeps playing but the visuals are completely frozen.

This isn’t fixed yet. I just got about a 2 minute freeze after unplugging a mouse.