Use of keyboard for avionics instead of knobs

Hello,

Is there a way to use the keyboard when typing the name of waypoint in avionics instead of using the 3D rotator?

In FSX or P3D (xplane as well I think) when I use the GPS I can use my keyboard to enter the name of waypoint or airport to type my flight plan or make a direct to. I just have to highlight using the cursor and then use the keyboard, it’s quite intuitive and if not a fair representation of the reality it’s easier than fighting with the 3D rotator and the mouse.

For the G3000 it’s not an issue but for all other GPS typing a flight plan with more than three waypoint is rapidly a nightmare…

Editing the flight plan or approach list by turning FMS knobs with the mouse is really a nuisance. Turning knobs in real life may be appropriate for real fingers, but not for a computer mouse. This feature should offer a keyboard access, when pushing the FMS access button on!

1 Like

I am hoping you guys can fix the garmin so you can type in the icao like you used to be able to do in fsx.

3 Likes

Keyboard input would be greatly appreciated!

If that’s there and I haven’t figured it out, please let me know!

3 Likes

It would be awesome to be able to use my own keyboard to make FMS/G1000 entries, like I’ve always done with other sims. It’s too time consuming to use the mouse for that.

2 Likes

That functionality is there to some extent anyway, with the G100NXi add on for Working Title. Wish it was as good as the keyboard integration with the Flight 1 G1000 in FSX though. (B200 and Cessna Mustang)

on the other hand - to get a realistic feeling you should use the same knobs/keypad as the airplane.
You can build it for a few bucks using Mobiflight (buy 50 push buttons, 5 rotary controllers, a cheap case and 2 arduinos - should be less than 100 EUR), and you are in a realistic setup

So yeah basically i find it horrible to scroll using the knobs and buttons whilst entering all my waypoints in the Garmin Navs, would it be possible to implement a similar feature to another well known simulator which allows you to enter waypoints and stuff using the keyboard?

2 Likes

Try the G1000 NXi mod (in Marketplace but it’s early-access, though pretty full featured by now), it allows this on planes using the G1000.