Using included floodlight objects

I’m designing an airport using mostly default library objects. I want to add lighting, but I’ve tried several of the library lighting objects, and the light only appears visible from a short distance, when you go further it’s switched off. Is there any way to get them to remain lit when viewing from a larger distance?

Isn’t that related to your LOD setting?

What is my LOD setting?

Objects Level of Display. The slider that you can set between 10 - 200. It shows how far or how near an object to your camera would be before it starts to load a higher quality image.

Thanks, so if I’m using lights from the Asobo library, I’m guessing I can’t change how they respond to the LOD setting? Do I have to make my own?

I just tried changing it to 200 (I normally have it on 100) and it didn’t seem to make any difference to the lights?

Eh… then it’s probably hardcoded or doesn’t have a lower LOD model on distant viewing.

1 Like

Unfortunately it does seem that the lights that we have access to (namely asobo_macro_light) do behave this way and you can’t do anything with them directly. What you can do is complement the light with a mesh with an emissive material, that way it will be visible from much greater distances.

1 Like

I was having this issue when trying to use the default light objects (e.g. Light_Warm_Medium) as well. They turn off less than 1/4 mile from the airport where I place them. I replaced them all with the default scenery objects containing the word “Lamp” (e.g. “StreetLamp_Type1_Single”) which have both the pole structure and lighting object combined. Those do not seem to turn off as you get past LOD. I just bury the pole into the building, making the lamp head appear just outside the wall. I just scale them down to fit what building I’m trying to put them in.

1 Like

Flying Theston just did another awesome SDK video that may explain the issue. If the light object is scaled down to a small white box (like I was doing), it kills the LOD. Worth an experiment if you want to use Light_Warm_Medium or other light sources that don’t have poles attached. Keep the default box large or scale them up. I noticed the default StreetLamps had very large white boxes around them.

2 Likes