Using rolling cache and VR

Is anyone using rolling cache in VR and if so are you having any issues like CTD? Before I jumped into VR I always had it set at 50GB and never worried about it until a new update came out then I just would reset it. But with VR it seems to just break things so I have to turn it off. I’ve tried diff sizes going as small as 5GB despite this article from a while back saying the minimum recommended is 8GB but no luck.

Is it best to just leave it off or is there a sweet spot of some sort for VR?

Ryzen 9 3900X
64GB Ram
Radeon RX 6800
HP Reverb G2
FS2020 & the cache location are on a samsung 970 evo plus NVMe

I have read somewhere that if you have a good internet connection it is better to turn it off

Yeah I’ve read that but I’ve never had the logic of it explained. If you fly over the same area a lot if makes sense to have it enabled. You definitely get better performance if you pre-download an area to fly over.

Yeah I prefer it on despite having a 100mbps line the downloads are slow in the more dense areas so I prefer to do a flyover to get everything downloaded then enjoy nice slow VFR flights with all the scenery already present.

Works just fine out of VR but in VR no luck :frowning:

Isn’t the cache always enabled anyway? The rolling cache only means that you set an upper size limit and that older things get deleted, when it runs out of space, and replaced with new ones.

I have it enabled with a limit of 80Gb and I only play in VR, had no problems so far.

It’s a trade-off.

Yes, if you fly often in the same area, the second and following times you do it, loading from an SSD should be faster than downloading again. With a HDD I’m not even sure of that; also depends on the internet connection.

But the first time you visit an area, or if you haven’t been there for a while, the system must spend precious CPU-cycles and other ressources writing to the SSD for later use.

It’s not far-fetched to suspect that this could cause some stuttering in a very CPU-hungry sim.

I have no idea if any of this is true in reality, though. :blush:

2 Likes

No, there’s an On/Off option for it, I’m sure.

Ok, I play only in VR, can’t go back to pankake mode

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.