Vancouver BC, MUCH slower than NYC, Paris, Tokyo?!

As a Vancouver resident who was SUPER excited for the Canada World Update this is huge punch in the gut. I was really happy Vancouver’s downtown peninsula had photogrammetry at all when the Sim debuted 2 years ago. I could see my actual apartment building!

I have had very little time since WU Canada to do much simming and I haven’t been at home in Vancouver with my 5900X/3080 rig, I’ve been in the US for family matters using a 5 year old Xeon workstation with a 3060 Ti in it, ok but not what I’m used to. I did just get a RTX 4080 and even on this older workstation CPU and PCIe 3.0 motherboard the 4080 is amazing. Settings CRANKED up and looking stunning I get 36-45 fps in huge urban areas like New York, Paris, Tokyo!!! And a butter smooth, no stutters 36-45 fps. I’m really really happy with this performance and stunningly beautiful look.

BUT… If I go to Vancouver I get 22-30 fps!!! This is with an empty Community folder!!! And I don’t mean just over the denser areas, the airport and the downtown core! I can be out in the outer suburbs and it’s still SLOW. And the Downtown Peninsula, save for a few beautifully (overly??!) detailed hand crafted bridges they have added, looks MUCH WORSE. I know the photogrametry complaints since the WU Canada have been mentioned elsewhere. And I know the performance issues with the FSimStufios airport installed since all the suburban PG has been added has been mentioned on here, but this result. MUCH worse performance around Vancouver than MUCH larger and better visually represented cities around the world is new to me!!!

I know Asobo has said they would address the bad looking photogrammetry around Vancouver, but I sure hope they don’t just add my polygons to the downtown core to make it look decent and not address the crazy bad fps performance.

Come on Asobo, you are better than this. The sim over all is looking amazing, the performance I’m getting in general with this RTX 4080 is amazing, Vancouver is a gem of North American and a STUNNING place for aviation. DO BETTER.

1 Like

I fly over Vancouver a lot, with Top Rudder Solo 103, and with my RTX 2070 Super and a 4K monitor and I7 9700K, get 55-80 fps, most settings ULTRA, DLSS Quality, DLDSR 2.25 …

It’s the Canada World Update… I also get better performance over New York compared to Montreal. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Today, my flying over Vancouver was much slower 18-30 fps, varied with complexity of background, shifting views (non-smooth appearance below about 25) - I rechecked by DLSS/DLDSR, resolution, settings for my RTX 2070 Super and 4K - then went to Las Vegas, 30-40, usually 50-60 … then I see only 1 server and at 93 ms …

today server at 47 ms and fps’s on Vancouver 45-55 …

I believe the new Canada photogrammetry was done by a different company than who did the previous updates. Asobo has said they will going back and fixing some of the Canada updates such as the CN Tower in TO.
In the mean time I fly around the GVRD often and haven’t seen much in the way of performance drop, even flying over Metrotown, SFU, and the downtown core. I’m sad that the photogrammetry didn’t go further out than west Surrey, and someone really needs to model the ferry terminal at tswassen. :slight_smile: