VATSIM Altitude Disagree with In-game Altitude

Maybe then Asobo should have adapted and made an integrated online ATC instead that already has data from Meteoblue. They said VATSIM is a partner then they could have helped them adapt. Well now it is what it is. I don’t think they will change back and we will not see new techology in use for flight simulators. Maybe i need to accept this. But i adapted for the new weather system. And it’s hard to go back to the old type of weather created by METAR.

Other sims are also around and the weather needs to be mostly the same for all simmers - just like in real life - there is one true weather valid for all (if simulating reality) - it clearly makes sense to share the same weather (unless you choose not to fly real weather) - there is also another discussion about 3rd party access to the weather system. It will be interesting to see how this weather system will improve and how it will affect flying on online networks.

Yes i understand that. But a new sim needs to change weather to be unrealistic METAR weather because all the other old flight simulators does isn’t a way to move forward in my opinion. And i that liked the weather with only Meteoblue weather at release need to adapt because of VATSIM users needs to have METAR weather.

I could choose METAR weather at release with 3rd party addons. Those for sure was compatible with VATSIM. Now i’m forced to use it in live-weather.

Well, good talk here. I don’t want to talk more about my opinions here. This topic is fixed it seems. Good work fixing the altitude workaround. :slight_smile: And i hope we all can enjoy the weather. Both VATSIM and MSFS only users.

I’m not sure I understand the issue here. I am not an MSFS user, so I don’t know all the details about how weather works in MSFS. Perrry, maybe you can help me understand. Is there something preventing you from using meteoblue weather on VATSIM? My understanding is that it works fine, and with the recent changes I made in vPilot, your altitude is now correct for ATC and for other pilots.

2 Likes

I found the conversation interesting about weather differences between VATSIM reported weather and MeteoBlue sim weather… the thing that “sems fixed” - is probably the sim in it’s current state, but that’s about to change again :smiley: we are in an activate development of MSFS and we should talk more about weather system developments - it’s such a big part of MSFS.

1 Like

Well, i’m not a user of VATSIM but MSFS weather has changed so much after sim update 7 a patch released december 2021 when they did METAR blending with Meteoblue weather. And i liked the Meteoblue weather becuase it doesn’t have any kind of transitions because Meteoblue simulates weather without any kind of transitions because everything is calculated to fit globally. Now in su7 they have implemented fog circles around every single airport that reports fog and we have hard transitions between METAR and Meteoblue weather and that i never experienced before. It’s many more things like rainwalls around airports because METAR says no rain. Maybe more issues but those i can think of right now. And to me it feels wrong that MSFS devs made those changes to adapt for VATSIM. Those changes made the weather unrealistic behaving.

Many users of MSFS have told me it’s needed to be able to use VATSIM. But it’s not right. It’s just that the user of MSFS needs to adapt for the weather occuring in the sim because it doesn’t always matched VATSIM weather.

Story short i would like 100% Meteoblue weather back in MSFS again with a toggle to switch between them. But they have said they will continue with this METAR blending without options. And that makes me dissapointed that had 100% meteoblue weather at release. They started to transform it into METAR right after release with winds that changed suddenly between METAR and Meteoblue.

Agree, the weather is the most important thing in a flight simulator. Thats why i defend Meteoblue weather so much becuse i find it so much more realistic to fly in. And flight simulation has been something i have enjoyed since i were a little kid :slight_smile: And Meteoblue weather was something new and fresh. To me it feels like a real weather simulation. Not always 100% accurate but i accepted that. That it wasn’t 100% accurate all the time i found as realistic. Real Weather is not always as we predict it to be because it’s unpredictable. METAR make the weather predictable in flight simulators. We always knows what we get. Thats not how weather works.

I understand those that want it to be 100% accurate. But i don’t understand why they needed to force everybody to use it.

I wasn’t aware that MSFS added the METAR blending just for VATSIM users. Are you sure that’s the case, and it wasn’t simply to make the meteoblue weather match real world METARs more closely? I mean, it’s not just VATSIM users that use METARs in their sim.

3 Likes

They mentioned many asked for it but we that didn’t want it wasn’t here and defended the Meteoblue weather back then. We was using the sim and enjoyed it. But now when we that enjoyed that type of weather ask for it back they want to continue with it. I’m happy for those that asked for it though.

I remember i filed a bug of 225@3kts all the time everywhere on earth and 2 months later they added METAR winds. But many said it was needed with METAR winds but Meteoblue doesn’t report 225@3kts everywhere all the time. Then they have continued added stuff from METAR and many users says it’s needed for VATSIM. Users have used VATSIM since release of MSFS right? I knew about the issue with altitude but i think it’s because pressure is handled in a more realistic way in MSFS with temp that effects the reported altitude?

Correct me here if i’m completely wrong about that.

And i surely know many users find it realistic when it matches those METAR even if they not using VATSIM.

It’s not only because of VATSIM but it’s many users that told me specifically that it’s needed for VATSIM and i wanted to know and you is a dev of VATSIM and should for sure know these things.

I think Asobo only could have copied and pasted the METAR in their ATIS or really make sure it reported correct things. Many tried to find a match with METAR but many didn’t understand it was Meteoblue weather in use.

Yeah, the main VATSIM issue was the altitude reporting is very different in MSFS, more realistic than other sims, and this caused a problem on VATSIM when MSFS users were flying in the same area as non-MSFS users, and it caused problems for ATC as well. The fix that I released for vPilot provides a good workaround for that issue. But I want to make sure it’s understood that the altitude issue is very separate from the METAR/meteoblue blending issue that you’re talking about here.

I’m mainly just asking because you seem to indicate that the METAR blending was added just to keep VATSIM users happy, and I hadn’t heard anything about that before, so I wanted to see if that was actually the case.

2 Likes

I understand your point of view and hear what you are saying about the METAR and how it could not be considered completely accurate - does MSFS use Meteo Blue as the weather source? NOAA? for the METARs - on the other hand, if the transition is smoother, and the weather is loaded from the METAR around the area, is the weather not mostly similar to what is available without the METAR ? the METAR Is always delayed unless you catch it as it is updated and maybe not available in many areas - in that place it would be just MeteoBlue weather in the sim… and I see the issues with delayed METAR data.

1 Like

I think for sure it made many VATSIM users happy. But i think it also made many non VATSIM users unhappy that liked the weather as it was especially after sim update 7 when they added the visuals from METAR too. Pre su 7 it was only pressure, temp and wind from METAR. I could see many different threads about different METAR related issues after sim update 7 was released. I could accept wind, pressure and temp though but they were also irritating when they changes between two sources right before we landing.

I agree with all that … the only thing I’m asking about is whether or not this change was made just to adapt to VATSIM, as you claimed.

1 Like

MSFS uses Meteoblue as the weather source. At release it was only that, Now it’s both Meteoblue and METAR together. It sounds good on paper right but sometimes they differ much and that’s when the METAR weather looks unrealistic because then there is no data from Meteoblue. Then they force a circle of fog around the airport with the airport always in center of that and the fog is always forced to be place for 30 minutes until next report comes in. It also makes me confused what should match what because METAR isn’t perfect accurate and Meteoblue data is not accurate. To me a prediction and a METAR can’t work together. They are so much different. And that we can now see in the sim as well.

I actually used METAR based addon after release because i thought that were better because i always used that since they introduced METAR weather in flight sims. But i tried it one time and then switched it off. Never used it since then. I can’t understand why they needed to force a blending on us all if we had METAR weather with 3rd party tools. I think it was that many wanted Meteoblue and METAR at the same time but didn’t realise it’s two completeley different things. METAR is already reported data and Meteoblue is simulation of future weather. METAR is known values, can’t change, Meteoblue is unknown values and is able to change and be varied like the winds they report like this for every single coordinate on earth.

Or this, mostly the same as METAR you can read below the forecast. It also describes what type of clouds like in this cas few cirrus and few low clouds.

It also has all of this data reported. for every single coordinate on earth.

We can also check cross-section and see how clouds moving from every hour. In this you can understand how hard it is to fit a METAR into this. It’s an own cross-section for every coordinate on earth like this. Then suddenly over airports METAR come into play.

1 Like

Thank you for all those details :+1: - I was aware of the sim using meteoblue and assumed the METARS were coming from meteoblue too but there are also other METAR sources so good to know, which one is being used in MSFS - when matching weather to other applications. I’ve notice how different the NOAA and meteoblue METARS are.

Indeed, the model being used in the sim is very interesting and how it also works together.

The new MSFS came along and this all has to work itself out somehow or there are limitations that have to be known and worked with flying on the online networks, where multiple sims are used - the weather system is still being worked on so maybe those strange behaviour things you mentioned with the fog, transitions can be improved…

It was easier before to fly online with same weather - most weather injection applications used METAR from NOAA and everyone had the same weather and programs like ActiveSky also did their interpolation weather in between but used METAR at airports.

I think it was that many wanted Meteoblue and METAR at the same time but didn’t realise it’s two completely different things.

very likely and now we have both with new behaviour… and the METARs that are in sim now, probably don’t match the VATSIM ones…

Anyway, my post is more about online network and flying with the same weather as other simmers, but your view is more about having the most realistic weather model, which has been degraded through forced METAR and I will pay more attention to how METAR is changing the weather in the sim now.

1 Like

Asobo has not stated that what i know of. Only the users of VATSIM here on the forums claims it was needed for VATSIM but not all of them. That it was adapted for VATSIM it was only me that thought it was that way because some said Asobo and VATSIM is partners and made the change because of that.

Well, i really liked that you have found a workaround for the altidude issue. I have thought about that myself how to fix that issue even if i’m not using VATSIM.

I have thought about using VATSIM though but i’m a bit worried to make misstakes :rofl:

Yeah I’m sure a lot of people stay away from VATSIM for that same reason. It can be intimidating, for sure. However, most controllers are okay with pilots making mistakes, as long as they’re actually trying to learn, and not just goofing around. There are several pilot training organizations where you can learn the basics, too.

2 Likes

Will check that up. How much can i have in use from those offline speaking atc 3rd party addons i have used? I find those really good though. But i’m not sure how much i learning from them.

No problem. I like to show my point of view :slight_smile: And i know we have so much different opinions. I like that and all of them is good. I dislike the lack of options in this sim though. Options is good for different opinions. I hope they will take those in and make the best out of this.

I think they uses Meteoblue METAR as source. I’m not completely sure about that.

I know in the past we had many different options in those 3rd party addons for those older sims. I really like setting up my personal taste that worked for me. If they could at least add options for that blending then they would make both sides happy right?

I can see how the options would be useful.

Weather settings for some customisation would be nice but probably complicated in combination with live weather.

1 Like