Vectors to final: YSSY BOREE3A / ILS RWL16L

If I am not using ATC how can I track vectors to final?

I’ve tried a few failed attempts to catch the glideslope but miserably failed.

Does this look correct:

At OVILS ALT4000
At OVILS change heading to 158’

Screenshot 2022-10-18 101026

I lock on the localizer but not lock on the glideslope.

The FAF for ILS/LOC 16L at YSSY is RENAM at 1700’. As long as you’re at or below this altitude and you’re in APR mode when passing the FAF, you should capture GS.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I had another go tonight but missed the G/S again.

At OVILS I did a Direct to RENAM (with altitude constraint at 1700’) but still missed.

I need to figure out a method on how to repeat and practise these Approaches. It’s a bummer missing the G/S on the approach after an hour flight for each attempt.

Are you in APR before RENAM?

1 Like

You should be tracking direct TONUX, not RENAM. TONUX is the Initial Approach Fix. RENAM is the absolute last moment you need to be on the approach, it’s not normal to go direct to it.

TONUX at 3000’ gives you about a 4 mile level segment so that will ensure you intercept the glideslope from below. Make sure you have APP armed by TONUX, you should see LOC and GS in blue. Make sure you have LS selected, next to the FD button on the FCU.

Yes, APR is engaged by RENAM.

Thank you for the detailed approach brief. I finally managed to catch the G/S and land. What a wonderful approach and very engaging the last 5 mins of the flight!

Once I reached OVILS, I did a Direct to TONUX (I pre-entered the constraint for 3000’), engaged APR mode, lowered flap 1 and G/S was shortly engaged afterwards.

Thanks again!

You are welcome!

You don’t really need to put the 3000 in as a constraint because VNAV (Managed descent in Airbus lingo) isn’t working in the sim. Just set 3000 in the altitude window and pull or push, the result is the same.

1 Like