Version 1.12.13.0 Significant loss of performance

I’ve just updated to version 1.12.13.0 only to find that I have lost a significant amount of performance (8-10 fps). I was previously achieving around 32-34fps in VR under most circumstances, but now this has dropped to around 23-24fps, which is unusable. All my graphics settings are the same, but I’ve notice that the CPU core usage has changed, only half cores are now being used i.e. all cores in node 1, while the node 0 cores are practically unused. Prior to the update the majority of the cores in both nodes were being used. The processor in question is a Ryzen Threadripper 2950x. Perhaps unsurprisingly, GPU usage is also down by an equivalent amount. My GPU is a RTX 3090. Any body else experiencing similar issues?

No it’s a placebo at your end. I actually have increased frame rates with the update and Nvidia 460.19 drivers. But I don’t really count them, I just checked following your post. As long as it’s smooth and judder free, I don’t care what the rates are.

Unfortunately you have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Perhaps I should have stated that I’m also running Nvidia 460.19 and since the 1.12.13.0 upgrade I’m getting excessive juddering and the flight experience is anything but smooth. It’s hopeless in VR, quite unplayable. That’s why I checked the frame rate and CPU usage. Much like you, if the sim is running smoothly, I’m not interested in the frame rate or CPU usage. So for me, it’s no placebo, just ineffective optimisation within the latest upgrade. Prior to that everything was smooth and judder free! To be honest I’m quite annoyed that an upgrade has turned in to a significant setback!

I also noticed a dropped in frame rate. But I only played briefly after the last update. Could it be that after each update the scenery cache has to be renewed? To verify you may want to pause your flight after it loads for all the scenery to finish downloading. I’ll test this myself.

Ah I see what you mean! My bad, and apologies. I agree the VR implementation is “sub-optimal”. Reminds me of when it first came to P3D.

I think the programming and coding by the developers is just generally not of a great standard. And no, I couldn’t do any better, It’s what I pay them for!

Many thanks, I’ll try refreshing the scenery cache in the morning, but I can’t really see why updating cache would affect CPU optimisation?

Regardless of your headset (you didn’t tell) you might want to read this, it might help you (or not):

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR)
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Macallan, I didn’t mean that you have to manually renew it, but that it may take additional time after an update for the cache to update itself. On my 2nd try after the update, my frame rate seems back to normal (flying in the same location), so there may be something to it.

Hmm. I don’t use the cache function at all possibly accounting for my not encountering such problems.

I think it’s on by default, set to 8 GB. So unless you turned off photogrammetry, you are using it.

23-24fps, which is unusable.LOL!.I have a i7 10700K with a RTX 3060 Ti MASTER 8GB and Im getting anywhere between 12 and 25 FPS with latest version and always have been.It is however quite smooth for that range 99% of the time…

2 Likes

This is not normal and there are things you can do to make it better.

I can run in 4K with very graphics at 45 to 55 fps (photogrammetry to rural) with a 9700K + 2070S.

You might want to read this discussion, it might help you (or not):
My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

If you’re into VR, I’ve posted the link to my other discussions a few posts above this one.

Many thanks CptLucky8, I’ll work through your settings and recommendations tomorrow and report back. I worked through a number of logical changes today, including backing off all of the main graphics settings to medium. This has resulted in around 30fps with different several different aircraft and locations. Processor optimisation is almost certainly at the back of my issues, as main thread now appears to be the limiting factor, particularly in the case of the fly by wire 320NX, which I couldn’t get above 23 fps!

1 Like

Yes I’ve seen that and have used his hints to the best of my understanding.I’m running at 3440 x 1440.If i change down to 2560 x 1080 I can get 35 to 40 plus FPS…

This is typical of NVidia series so it seems:

xx60: 1K gaming
xx70: 2K gaming
xx80: 4K gaming.

NVIDIA’s performance has shifted so much the last two generations, that I think it’s more like this:

• GTX 1060, GTX 1650, GTX 1660 (Ti) GTX 1070 (Ti) and GTX 1080 (Ti) for maximum 1080p gaming (1920x1080)

• RTX 2060 (Super) and RTX 2070 for maximum 1440p gaming (2560x1440)

• RTX 2070 Super, RTX 2080 (Super), RTX 3060 Ti, RTX 3070, RTX 3080, RTX 3090 for 4K gaming (3840x2160)

1 Like

Many thanks to everyone for their comments and advice. I’ve ended up spending a lot more time, several days, working through the various tuning options that have been suggested. For consistence during testing I employed the TBM 930, including the Working Title G3000 V3.4 upgrade, and my local airport (EGHH).

At the end of the first day, having tried many of the recommended settings, I almost gave up; performance was poor, and the simulator became very unstable; with very frequent CTD.

As I was clearly getting nowhere, the following morning I went back to what might be considered first principles. I uninstalled OpenXR Dev Tools and loaded the Nvidia 457.30 driver and set everything to default. I chose 457.30 as it had previously worked well with my 3090. I also employed Process Lasso Pro to allocate 2 CPU cores exclusively to WMR and the remaining 30 cores to FS2020 and general housekeeping.

Fortunately, these changes resulted in an immediate improvement in both performance and stability. I was then able to gradually adjust the in-game settings to achieve a good smooth judder free experience in VR For reference, the fps is now running consistently between 32 & 38 fps in all the locations around the world that I’ve tested so far. Please refer to the list below. I’ve also noticed a slight overall improvement by using the same in-game settings for both the PC monitor and VR headset.

Hardware
Item Type Comments
CPU Ryzen Threadripper 2950X PBO on, SMT on,
Memory 2x16gb Running at 3600
GPU MSI RTX 3090 OC Running stock
Motherboard Asus Zenith Extreme
Storage 3 x 1 TB m.2 NVME
VR Headset(s) Reverb G1 & G2 Currently, I prefer the G1!

NVIDIA settings
Driver 457.30
Power management mode Prefer maximum performance
All other settings Default – yes default!

Windows settings
Game mode OFF
HAGS OFF

WMR settings
Adjust level of detail… High
Change app window… 720p
Experience options Best visual quality
Adjust display resolution 4320x2160 (best quality)
Frame rate 90 H

My in-game settings are as follows, I have settled on 100% render scaling and have avoided motion reprojection as this setting provides by far the best image quality.

A picture containing graphical user interface Description automatically generated

A picture containing graphical user interface Description automatically generated

I still have a performance problem with the Flyby wire A320NX, a firm favourite of mine, but which I believe is hampered of poor processor optimisation. The main thread appears to be disproportionately loaded which is bottlenecking the rest of the system.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.