Very Poor Framerates Past Two Weeks

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes - No

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

No idea what that is

Brief description of the issue:

Extremely poor frame rates. At times its crazy. This sim used to run very very smooth, and lately its running ‘extremely’ poor. I am wondering if it could be an update?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Go for a flight and note that there are stalls continuously, sometimes taking 3+ seconds. Not just bad frame rates, but actual pauses…

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Intel(R) Core™ i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
GTX1660 with 3GB VRAM
32 GB RAM
SSD’s by SAMSUNG.
Windows 10
Running Beta

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Personal Comments and Observations

Not disabling your add-ons limits your ability to eliminate root causes.

2 Likes

I tried something I didnt want to do, as it was working fine before. I reset all graphics settings to Default. I thought it was working fine, but then it began stuttering again, very choppy frame rates.

I have also noticed a coincidence. I am prepping a plane for release, doing testing on it. It usually gets reset over and over and over with lots of small adjustments to its configs. During these, I noticed a correllation with the stuttering at its worst, and the GNS430/530 screen rebooting. That happens… But then there are also normal times when it’s just going nuts with stuttering. It seems to get worst when close to the ground, and it was never this bad before. I wonder if its possibly my computer, but I take into account, I am testing a Beta, so I want to make sure…

Bill

I think it’s partly complicated because you’re doing very intensive Dev work, but I would probably say it’s best to try and cut down the amount of Add-Ons you’re using, understanding that your own product is considered an Add-On - so that can’t be helped.

Also, when I reset Graphics to Default yesterday, I noted I was set for DirectX 11, not 12. My computer is running DX12. So I set that. The only setting in MSFS is DX11 and DX12-Beta. It is now set to DX12-Beta.

Roger that. I’ll try your suggestion.

I am still getting super poor frame rates and stutters. Some stutters last 2 to 3 full (long) seconds… Pauses…

I wish I knew what it was. Running in 2K with default settings didnt fix this. It used to run like glass on 2K. Now its a slide show.

1 Like

I may have something similar. In the past I was able to land at FT EHAM with settings generally on high at ~30 fps without issue. This past week my fps have been much lower, down to 20 fps on approach at EHAM. I just reinstalled the sim so I hope to see some improvements :slight_smile:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Similar issue, but I get good framerates mostly on the ground and in the air, but for me it’s on takeoff and short finals where the framerates now drop dramatically eg from 30fps on initial descent to 14-17 on final. I’ve never seen this before and it’s v annoying and ruins the immersion. Again, I only noticed this since the last update.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

no other info to add

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Same here, same problem, same taxi/take-off/short-final behavior in GA planes like the FSR500, TBM 930, Cirrus Jet. Also when moving camera quickly. Better mid-flight. This is without any 3rd party airports in-play, even in places like Iowa that are all farmland. Already have low airport objects, no live traffic, etc.

Same problem here, stutters on takeoff / landings and when moving camera quickly, in any aircraft and at all airports. I tried to lower my settings but it didnt help.

1 Like

Mine is fixed…! :slight_smile:

Someone at Asobo suggested I experiment with versions of my nVidia drivers. I had tried doing a flush of all memory cache from nVidia shaders and also the scenery cache in MSFS. That didnt work. I also had overheating.

The gentleman at Asobo who talked with me about this, said that some graphics cards had bad drivers, industry wide, and included fans improperly managed, causing overheating. He said to check the driver.

I couldnt back step, as I had cleaned my nVidia section. But, I found a new update driver, and installed it, and now I have smooth frame rates again. So glad he told me about that. Smooooooth… No more stutters. Gone…

I have a nVidia GTX 1660 Super with 6 GB VRAM
Driver is 31.0.15.5222

I hope you all get rid of the stutters. It was unbearable for me. Check your drivers. Maybe go 2 steps back, see if you can find a good running one.

Bill
LHC

1 Like

My sim runs 10fps slower with a repeated stutter about every 15 seconds in VR than pre-beta in the last few weeks even with the latest Nvidia drivers. It also stutters when turning my head despite offscreen rendering cache set to ultra. It then drops to about 20 fps slower after an hour of use.

1 Like

I solved most my problem by updating my bios to the latest version. In the process I noticed that my 6000 Mhz DRAM was set to 4800 Mhz. After changing that to 6000, my fps was back up to 60-70 like before. I still don’t know what’s causing the stutter when I turn my head to the right but this is at a payware airport so this doesn’t help Asobo. I’ll have to try vanilla.

I have a high spec’d PC and fly often in VR. I typically get around 30mbs but yesterday I had 4fps when approaching a small (simple) airport. The frames recovered just before landing, which was welcome as I had a slide show descending to the airport. I’ve never seen this sort of performance on my computer.