Very poor performance in VR

Hello everyone,
I urgently need your help.
Specs:
i7-12700k
RTX 2080 Super
32 GB RAM 2133Mhz
Settings: Oculus Rift S performance on RTX and OXR toolkit SU9 - #7 by FSC719

Latly I played around in the settings to get VR working properly. I got 35 FPS in PMDG 737 when spawning right on the runway with engines on. Then when I turn my head it went down to 25 which is still pretty good. But then I tried a full flight and FPS went down very fast. At first I had around 30 FPS on the stand with a CPU Usage of only 20% and GPU at around 80 - 90%. From there on it got worse. at pushback I only had 15 left. At takeoff when looking around it got to 5. Then the GPU usage decreased to around 30%.
So my question is why is usage so low respectively decreasing so much. And why is it that FPS go down when looking around.
I really need your help. Looking forward to every answer!
Best regards

As an experiment, turn you terrain and object LOD’s way down and repeat your steps.

Also, if your RAM is really only running at 2133 MHz, be sure to enable XMP in your BIOS since I am assuming with that pretty strong CPU you have a motherboard and RAM that supports XMP over clocking.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer I will definitly try that. Also I alread had the LODs at 10 and as you said performance improved drastically but it looked like shi*. Now I got it at 85 with the thinking that the new CPU could handle that since LODs go onto the CPU.
Another question: I could also go down to 16GB of RAM but with 3200 Mhz would that be better or the 32 gigs?

I would guess that from a performance standpoint, 16GB @ 3200 MHz would be better than 32GB @ 2133 MHz.

I don’t know what motherboard you have, but the 12th gen K-series CPU’s support DDR4 higher than 3200 MHz.

Yeah I guess it can I got the Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4.
But my I got 2x8GB @ 3000 Mhz XMP 2.0 and 2x8GB @ 2666 Mhz
so it’s getting derated to 2133 for whatever reason.

12600k 3080 32G ram @ 3600 Quest2
It’s not you, it’s the sim.
Unplayable in Vr for many users and i believe, us with 12th gen are getting the worse of it due to p cores / e cores.
Waiting for a fix / patch .
Got Xplane 11 today and runs super smooth.
Its not you or me, its Asobo, right now they are too busy trying to sort Xbox users, Vr users will come last as usual.

Ram will always adjust to the lower speed.
You need to get same ram dual channel modules in order to apply xmp to rated speed.
Remove the 2133 and keep the other.
The performance went down by 30 % with Su9 and worse with patches / wu9.
They are investigating it.

This is what I would have thought also but a while back I was having CTD problems. I suspected the RAM so I disabled XMP moving it from 3200MHz to 2133 and tried the game like that. I didn’t take any actual measurements but the sim seemed to run without any negative impacts so I was surprised that I couldn’t notice any effect. I’m sure there is some percentage reduction but we run the game at 30-40 fps so even if you lose a few percent in speed that only equates to 1-2 fps which really is not noticeable. Unfortunately it didn’t fix my CTD problems.

With that said, I do think 16GB RAM is enough for the sim. I have 32GB but the sim doesn’t use it.

Alright thanks , also got x plane a couple years back and it stands in no comparison with msfs in terms of VR. Just hoping for them to fix the droping fps issues when moving your head. That’s all I want.

1 Like

I got it running on 32GB @ 2666 Mhz with XMP turned on. Didn’t make a huge difference. Think I’m gonna stay on 32 instead of going back to 16.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.