VFR Obstacles

Jorg mentioned in the latest (May 26th) Dev Q+A series (at around the 1h19 mark on youtube) about any suggestions for how to get data about obstacles like powerlines - I was thinking about this previously when trying some sim VFR flying in the UK based on the real world paper VFR maps and trying to plan a flight around the real world visual reference points, and it turns out there’s actually a list of these for the UK with precise latitude/longitude location and altitude!

On the NATS AIP website (link NATS | AIS - Home) there are excel spreadsheets with all of the obstacles in the UK in the files named “Area 1 Obstacles File”, “VRP list” which has the visual reference points that pilots use while flying VFR, and “VFR obstacles list” which is as the name says.

I hope this is helpful! Keep up the amazing work you are doing for all the community :slight_smile:

I see that Just Flight has done an obstacles collection for France based on data from the Service for Aeronautical Information data (SIA) and released it as a pack - I believe this was also in the in game Flight Simulator Store too. If it’s possible from data for France, then it must be possible for the UK / other countries too.

You might like this one We Love VFR - Region 1 » Microsoft Flight Simulator

It adds masts, chimneys radar domes and more. For now it’s uses only OpenStreetMap data but I plan to add AIP data in upcoming updates. Oh and on precision of such data. I hope it will be better in Europe than it was with FAA in US. They were all over the place. Sometimes outdated by 10 years.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information - We will ensure the team is aware of the website above.