VFR View/Save does not work

Hi all,

I need to alter my cockpit view a bit but the option for “VFR Pilot View Save” does not function any more.

It did work some time back as I am using the same view now but I can’t alter the setting any more and need to.

I recall my position with “Reset Cockpit View” which does work as expected.

I have tried many options by binding simple and multiple keys to “VFR Pilot View Save” but nothing happens when triggered.

Can anyone help please?

Edit, I’m using the stock Cessna 208B plane if it helps

What happens if you save the VFR view, exit the flight, and re-enter a flight ?

I’ll try that now as i’m messing with it.

I’m also looking at the cameras.cfg file and it’s been updated today but does not update (time change) when i do a save

It does nothing - looking at the file date/time it IS being altered but now looks like pressing “Reset Cockpit View” is not reading what is being saved??

I’m not sure but inside Cameras.cfg, the position desired is stored in “IntialXyz” ?

If thats the case then it is not changing these values when saving.

Update

The file does change, but only the InitialZoom and InitialPbh values

I’m not sure whats going on here but it looks like the data is saving but not loading when i press “Reset Cockpit View” ???

Update…
If I go into the onscreen camera menu, press “Pilot” then do a save it works, sometimes, other times it just wipes out the contents of Cameras.cfg and leaves just the [Version] tags behind, no camera data at all, press save again and it puts it back.

It’s working now but I don’t trust it LOL.

One other thing i also did was to make sure I mouse-clicked on the main screen (triple setup) before saving.

No idea whats going on but at least I can fly again :slight_smile:

Here’s a method that’s sure to work.

First, you need to define which camera.cfg you’re talking about.
There’s one in …\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_208B_GRAND_CARAVAN_EX, where the other .cfg and .flt files are stored.

There’s another one in C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_208B_GRAND_CARAVAN_EX
This is the one that is modified when views are saved. In the same folder, there’s also the state.cfg file.
I’m using the Steam version of MSFS and not the MSstore version, but that shouldn’t change anything.
Although MSFS is installed on another disk, this second camera.cfg is located on disk C:

The first thing to do is to find and delete this camera.cfg, which will be automatically recreated during the process.
Of course, keep a copy somewhere as a precaution.

The process is as follows:

• launch a flight (easiest on the runway with the park brake)
  • set the view as desired (front/back, height, etc…)
  • save this view as custom camera 1 with “SAVE CUSTOM CAMERA 1”
  • exit flight
  • restart flight
  • load previously saved custom camera 1 view with “LOAD CUSTOM CAMERA 1”
  • save it as VFR view with “VFR PILOT VIEW SAVE” (if view moves, ignore it but don’t do anything else)
  • exit flight
  • restart flight
  • Now the default VFR view should be the one you have set
  • RESET COCKPIT VIEW should work
  • You can keep personal camera 1 as it is, or modify it.
1 Like

Thanks, i’ll print that off and try it soon.

One thing - both your file paths appear the same?

I was in the folder where the cameras.cfg and state.cfg files are so that seems ok though.

No, the first one is on the J: drive were MSFS is installed
The second one is on the C: drive and the beginning of the path is different
Anyway if you have found the camera.cfg located in the same directory than the state.cfg it should be ok.
Let me know the result once you’ve tried it.

1 Like

Still battling with this.

When I booted up today, the view went back to how it was before, very odd.

After my flight I messed about some more and have found what makes it work…

In the cockpit, go to the on-screen menu, Cameras option, select “Pilot” in the view options.

Leave the menu on screen and the VFR View/Save works as expected, save the view and exit the menu - the “Rest Cockpit View” now works as expected.

It sort of tells me that the sim does not start up in “Pilot” view as a default, if it did then the VFR save would work.

I did try saving a custom camera view first but without going into pilot view the VFR save still does not work.

Baffling