Virtual Cockpit / Remote Cockpit

Almost finished reversing the dev work done over the last 2 weeks.

Client is now working fine, with instruments displaying correctly in the cockpit window and behaving as expected.

Server works when executing as a Console application (standalone program).

Just need to get it working as a Windows Service again, then it should be ready to open up the repository again.

Quick update.

I’ve copied the code to GitHub, it will be made public in a couple of days.

Just waiting for a Code-Signing Certificate so the installer can be run on your own computer, without warnings of Unknown Publisher or Dangerous Software etc.

The code is now public in GitHub: GitHub - Dragonlaird/RemoteCockpit: A Client/Server Project for MSFS 2020, to stream updates to a remote client and update that UI

For those wishing to just download/install it, here is a prebuilt install: RemoteCockpit/Installer/Debug at master · Dragonlaird/RemoteCockpit · GitHub

3 Likes

I’ve been re-writing the code for SimConnect SDK to provide a simpler, static helper class to handle all SimConnect communication.

I’m considering creating a branch in this project, to bypass the server element in the above project, and use the SimConnect SDK to handle the network communication, via the new helper class.

This will also simplify comms for other 3rd-party applications running on a remote PC, that rely on SimConnect, as it will create the correct configuration file for the SimConnect SDK to talk directly to the SimConnect API.

@E1ephant42 For your info, I’ve incorporated a wrapper for one of the gauges in the project you suggested.

It doesn’t provide stepped increases for values supplied (yet) so it can appear a little “jumpy” for large changes in values for the SimVar - but the important thing is, it works.

I’ll add in some code to provide smaller increments, as currently happens in the build-in plugins, to provide a smoother animation.

Hi DragonIaird;
I am fascinated from your project!
I will try to use it to learn more about SDK.
My simple goal is to get just some main values out of the SIM instruments and show them as a pure text banner. E.G. just IAS, Heading, Trim-Status, Flaps-Status, RPM, ASL.
I am sure I will find a solution for that in your code :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @SteinGerste1348 ,

If you’re looking for information on how to access/use SimConnect variables (SimVars) then my tutorial might be of some benefit, as it allows you to control the SimConnect SDK with simple requests to connect to MSFS 2020 and fetch SimVar values, either as a one-off request, or repeatedly at a frequency of your own choosing.

Dragonlaird

1 Like

Thanks a lot, DragonIaird!
I follow both of your threads :slight_smile:
Yes, to get some first experiences with SimConnect and MSFS SDK your SimVar Request handler, obviously, is the first and easier step.