Virtual Desktop VR : totally lost!

So… i have donne all the steps for Virtual Desktop now after having first donne all steps to get MFS via Oculus LINK.

I purchased and installed Virtual Desktop VR.
I install Sidequest.
I installed the Virtual Desktop Patch from Sidequest.
I installed Steam VR and joined the beta Update.

I tried several time to get VD running, but nothing was coming… and… i turned my head … and my desktop screen was behind me !!! :slight_smile:
So i moved it in front…

Now i am at the same page… I can acrtivate VD on the Quest 2, then i see my desktop screen wireless, but i can’t activate VR on MFS, it says no headset found.
So i have my huge flat screen displayed in the headset and nothing more.

But i agree, i am totally lots between all installations done… and surely i miss some step in the middle somewhere…

For example, should Oculus Link be active ? I guess no…
The USB cable is not connected, only wireless.

But Sidequest is open, Steam is open, Virtual Desktop Streamer is open… MFS is active…

Question : should we install this Virtual Desktop Streamer app ?

any help will be really appreciated :slight_smile:

edit : or if there is a detailed post showing all steps i will read and follow it with pleasure ! :slight_smile:

i found that maybe i forgot two steps :

• install Steam VR from Steam… in progress… 1.96 Gb !!!
  • change in regedit the link to openxr from oculus to the one from SteamVR…
    May be its the reason… in progress…

I was typing a reply, but… yep, those two things. You’ve got it.

Once steamvr is installed, launch it first. There will be a button in the VD menu that says ‘launch steamVR’ that you can use, or you can just launch it from steam or your desktop. However you like.

Then toggle on VR from MSFS, and it should appear in your quest in all its 3D wireless glory :wink:

haha yes… all its glory… :slight_smile:

rarely seen a so complex process !!! (at least for me…)

but… who knows… maybe i will get it !!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

VR is a confusing world at first, especially since there are so many competing products with their own ways of doing things, but after a little while it’ll seem a lot less complex than it does right now :slight_smile:

The reason VD has so many hoops to jump through in its setup is that Oculus made the dev remove the streaming capability from the app in order to keep it in their Oculus store. So he circumvented that by putting the app there without it, and putting the patch to enable it on Sidequest. It probably didn’t help that he accomplished something that Oculus couldn’t without even having access to their lower-level runtime processes, and took a potential future market from them because he beat them to it :wink:

yes, really not easy to catch all that…

but, another question : this app called Virtual Desktop STreamer that i have installed… i guess its unuseful now, the streaming will be done by Steam only ? can i uninstall it ?

You need that! That’s the piece that operates on your computer to make VD work. :slight_smile:

SteamVR (well, its version of openXR, anyway) is the host runtime. It’s where the VR ‘runs’, if you want to think of it that way. The VD streamer app captures it from there, compresses it, and pipes it into the VD app in your Quest headset, like magic.

ok i keep it so :slight_smile:

but now i get this message when i toggle VR in MFS

still something wrong somewhere

so i did a full reboot, twice, and now :

• i launch VD streamer
  • launch steam
  • launch steam VR
  • launch VD in Quest

and then i can activate VD in MSFS but…

i see the 2 images, right and left, on the flat screen, even in quest and on my desktop screen…

still not 3D at all…

still searching…

If you can see the 2D side by side projection on your computer screen, it means you’re in the desktop view of the Virtual Desktop app on your Quest. Long-press the flat button on your left controller, and a menu will slide out from the right (that’s the virtual desktop menu). There will be a button that says ‘switch to VR’ or something like that. That should take you into the 3d space.

A quick double-click of that controller button will toggle you back and forth between the desktop view and the VR view.

1 Like

Go to SteamVR settings, select show all settings, in developer options click the “set steamvr for openxr” or similar.

SteamVR is already set as Openxr in developer options, but thks for the advice :slight_smile:

but the advice to select “switch to VR” was the right one…

but… not enough…

when i switch to VR i get a fully black 3D environment, no image at all, if i switch back to desktop i have the double images in MSFS, when i look into the VR view displayed by SteamVR i can see the 3D view.

but not in my Quest 2…

Morning lads, i still get the “no headset” connected. Installed steam beta, got the opnexr set to steam. My flow is:

Start streamer
Start steam in vr
Launch flight sim
Go to quest and launch VD
In quest press go to vr
In flight sim try to switch to VR
No headset connected :frowning:

Anyone can help?

U didn’t mention the virtual desktop streaming app on windows side, did u install it ?
Edit : Oh, maybe it’s the 1st item on your list… ?
And both streamer and steam vr should show your headset connected, did they ?

And news for me… I got the 3d image !!!

How ?

Not sure…

The only thing I did before getting the 3d is to remove all options activated in my AMD 5600xt graphic card, maybe one was creating troubles.

So now it works.

Quality, with same VR parameters in MSFS seems better, a bit less fluid when turning head to watch on side, ground looks very bright also, but CGU and CPU seems less stressed than before with the cable.

To ensure good WiFi quality I have installed an AP just near my desktop, and VD says that I have an 866 Mbps speed for WiFi connection to quest 2.

1 Like

Hmmm… that’s very odd. Sounds to me like you have all the right pre-requisites taken care of. When you launch VD in your Quest and it first connects, you are able to see your PC’s desktop before you press ‘go to VR’, right? Do you have any other VR apps/games you can try launching from VD so we can confirm VD is all working correctly?

Glad you got it working! I’ve found that sometimes on the first switch to VR from MSFS when using Virtual Desktop, every once in a while you just get a gray empty void. Toggling out of VR in MSFS and then toggling back in has fixed that for me every time it’s happened, so maybe you saw the same…?

In terms of performance, that also sounds correct. VD unfortunately can’t do any motion smoothing nor can it tap into the ASW processes of the Oculus runtime, so the lower the framerate of the app, the more frame lag you’ll see with fast head movements or fast scenery movement. It does get the benefit of ATW (that’s basically half of what ASW is), which functions at the hardware level on the Quest, but that’s not as effective as ASW for interpolating across large frame timing gaps. You might want to try the different frame rate options that VD has available in its ‘streaming’ menu – those can put a bit less demand on your PC and are easy to change. You can change any of the VD settings (quality, framerate) and then just need to toggle out of VR in MSFS, restart steamVR (there are handy buttons to do that in the VD slide-out menu), and go back into MSFS VR to see the difference. VD also has a performance overlay that shows your framerate that you can turn on from its slideout menu – can be helpful for tuning settings. Good luck!!!

1 Like

Yes thats better now but going out and in from VR bring me sometimes out of the cockpit :slight_smile: , strange feeling… when you just float above the cockpit at 10000 feets !!!
And i didn’t understood why i get this, and the only way to get inside cockpit again is to close MSFS and restart it from scratch.

also i will try to upgrade from my current AMD RX 5600XT CGU to a Nvidia 3070, i think it should improve strongly the results.

I feel your pain, i was having the same problem. Everything installed but not working. I pressed 1 of the 2 menu buttons on the controller and it popped up. Still not sure if VD or LINK cable is better, VD looks better until you turn your head, LINK is less quality further away but smoother. Something doesn’t seem right though because the settings don’t make a difference for me inside MSFS and fps is always 32-35 fps. i5-9600k, rtx2060