Virtual Memory with 64GB RAM

hello guys,i just found a fix for my CTD’s issues but i have 2 options that fix my CTD,i just uninstalled the WU8 and my CTD’s is gone,but at the same time when i checked my Performance page ( for setting Virtual Memory ) it went up to 63Gb of SSD storage.

what is the best page file size for FS2020 with 64GB RAM,is 20-25GB enough?

thankyou for your help <3

I personally just let Windows handle it (32 GB of RAM here).

3 Likes

what is your allocated memory set bt the system?

I have it disabled with 32Gb of RAM. If you still want to use virtual memory the normal recommendation is just 1/4 of your total RAM.

Anyway I have noticed that the latest versions of game have a severe memory leak which is not fixed yet. It started by this year as last year I never had issues nor I had ever CTDs since game launch. Now in some cases game books up to 6Gb of RAM that is never cleaned, even after hours of game usage and that makes memory usage to grow like crazy. I use an external program to clean RAM peridiocally as it solved all my CTD and out of memory errors with those game versions. Now during regular play my RAM stays stable at 50% usage.

The CTD plague is most likely related to that as you can see tons of users reporting those issues.

Cheers

It says 5120 MB.

thanks for your information,i guess i just keep my page file size to 1/4 size of my ram,hope my ctd’s will never come back

That won´t solve the issue, I´m afraid, but hopefully it will reduce it. I used virtual memory for a while and it still crashes game. Since I decided to manually clean RAM instead I have reduced the CTDs to the min, but I still have some every week. This is pure garbage right now.

Cheers

ohh i see,but mine,it went ul to 63gb for no reason after a crash that happened 2 days ago,but after it increased automatically,ctd issues never came back after that,but because the paging is too big for 64Gb ram,i had to decrease it to 22Gb and still not yet test the game if it will work with 22gb or i must set to system managed,but it eat up so much of my ssd :frowning:

one more question,does have lots of items in Community folder makes me must increase the paging file “if i prefer to set it manually”?

I have quite a bit in my community folder. I don’t ever touch the page file. I honestly can’t even remember the last time MSFS has crashed on me but I know it’s a problem that many do come across. Last time I messed around with my page file was a long time ago when I had 16 GB of RAM and ran it off an HDD (not the same PC I use now) and this was for DCS.

ohhh i see,you’re so lucky that you almost never experiencing any ctd issues :slight_smile:

let’s say i set the page file to 22Gb of my ssd,if i play the game everyday for 1 week,when i reboot my pc,will the page file be cleaned off or it will keep stacking up until it reached and go over 22Gb and crashed the game?

PS: i’m not quite sure about how page file works :slight_smile:

Hello,
Please use the Community Support category for help questions to the community. Thank you!
Your topic has been moved.

With my last PC I did crash quite a bit (and I did up the RAM to 32 GB just weeks prior to getting a new PC), with the one I have now it virtually never happens. I once was able to do a 16 hour flight in one session (with stops along the way) and it didn’t crash. On my last PC when it did crash most of the time it happened when I was loading in.

Which one?

Page file and virtual memory are two different things even if they are related. Virtual memory is just used in case you are running out of physical memory. That worked in the past when systems had like 4Gb or less but nowadays it has no sense at all as most people is having 16Gb or 32Gb and games normally don´t use more than 16Gb in most cases. I neved saw a game in the last years using more than 50% of my RAM indeed.

Pagefile is managed by windows directly and you have basically no control over it. It will exist even if you have your virtual memory disabled. The problems happen when games are not releasing memory properly so the onboard RAM or your VRAM will grow and you will face the errors. This is the situation now unfortunatelly.

Cheers

Process Lasso is the SW I use, but there are more. This one worked very well for me during years and it really clears memory. Others just move content to the pagefile which is not releasing any memory indeed. Use the “Smart Trim” to release RAM every 10 minutes for instance and set as condition that this happens only if you are above 1/3 of your total RAM. That´s more than enough as it will fire just when your system is running an intense application like MSFS.

Cheers

1 Like

thankyou so much for your information,so what do you recommend me about my page file,should i disable it,enable it with 1/4 of my ram size or enable it with managed system mode?

Anything will be fine. It does not harm to have it enabled. Depending on the amount of hard disk space you can use higher values. But with 64Gb I would not set it higher than 16Gb. If you leave it on auto that will use the amount it needs everytime. That´s the best setting if you have doubts and available disk space as well.

Cheers

Thanks.
Standard setting for RAM trim is 65% of Ram. Do I understand correctly that you set that to about 35%?

Also do you have Pro Balance and/or Performance mode running on Process Lasso?

Exactly. If you leave it at 65% it won´t fire unless you are really close to use all your RAM. This is how I have it. Also check the last row. I have it on 20Gb. With those two conditions start game and just in the airport force the smart trim manally. You will see how around 5Gb are cleared inmeditally, which are the result of the flight launch. Just leave it alone and it will take care of having your system healthy.

I have performance mode enabled and probalance as well but I excluded MSFS from probalance as it will set the process priority to below normal if you change to other windows. I just prefer that MSFS is always running at normal priority while the rest of apps on the background are the ones being managed by probalance. That avoids some stuttering I face in the past for instance.

Cheers

1 Like

there is not such a recommendation, nowhere :wink: … it was one 30 years ago…

With system managed there is a formula ( exaplained it sometime in forum , e.g. ) and these let set ~8-9GIG default for 64GIG users with enought free disc space.

@Syarasd

never disable it …

Let is on “System Managed” or set a lower manual size if you need the disc space…

You also not need magical memory clean-up tools!

And a note: If your pagefile was 22GIG, then something is/was wrong at your system/application. MSFS does not consume these amount of memory/pagefile.

By the way:
that my setting with 64GIG RAM since years ( and beside of MSFS I use realy memory intensive applications ):

And I forgot Process-Lasso… I want to remember that these tool was one of the big trouble maker while ago. It let crash MSFS… It is simple not necessary and should only used if users exactly know what they do.