Visibility limiting device for instrument training

Since this is a simulator we could select suitable weather for instrument training.

But it is a bit tedious to tune it to precisely what is desired, such as setting the cloud base relative to the airport elevation of interest. It is almost impossible to set weather such that you break out of clouds exactly, say, 50 ft above approach minima. Also, sometimes we might to actually want to simulate flying with a visibility limiting device in real weather as opposed to flying in instrument weather conditions.

Therefore I think it would be helpful to have a way to simulate a visibility limiting devices, such as a hood or foggles. That allows us to enable or disable “instrument conditions” exactly when we want to.

For this purpose I think it would be sufficient to simply turn all windows opaque with a light gray texture and being able to enable and disable that with a configurable key command. Actually simulating foggles with a tiny sliver of visibility that follows your head motion would also be neat, but seems like a lot more work to implement, so it would delay implementing that feature.

Does anyone agree?

you could just tilt your vision forward and zoom in a bit so that you only see the cockpit, and nothing outside, and tilt back up at minimums. I don’t see the need for any special settings for this.

Only works in some aircraft, in many cases you still see a view out the side windows.

The headlamp is very cool. Seems like the hood would just be a variation of that, but beyond my programing skills. I would try it if it were available, but it’s pretty easy to set TrackIr for this.

Honestly, I have to put a plug in for REX Weather here… I often have to “break out of the clouds” from just having its real weather injecting into the sim… foggles not needed :slight_smile:

SoFly has done a very good job with their WX Presets. They have as close to a zero-zero visibility setting that I’ve not seen the Live Weather engine generate yet.

I practice IFR every time I sim. I credit flight simulator a lot for me passing my IFR check ride back in 2007. It was watch the King CD courses and spend literally hours on my simulator. Naturally… the sim has seriously improved since then…but there’s still a great way to practice IFR without being “under the hood”…Night flying! Pick a airport that has at least a RNAV approach and is fairly isolated. In the DFW area I used (still do) Midlothian KJWY Mid-Way regional. Most night flying… unless you are over a major city or urban area… you can’t see much at all. Over water it’s pure blackout. Spacial disorientation is the pilot killer (killed more doctors than a V tail Bonanza ever did!) and IFR’s worst enemy. You learn quickly to trust your instruments. Hardest part of IFR in real life for me was learning holding patterns…and entering correctly. It was a piece of cake after I purchased my 07 Skylane with a G1000 …but my check ride was in a 172sp with steam gauges. And I couldn’t use my GPS. Fog is also great. True IFR Practice doesn’t mean popping out at decision height and landing…we all can do that…it’s going missed and correctly flying to your designated holding pattern AND maintaining it. Do it incorrectly, and you can expect ATC to give you a phone number to call.
A while back I had a controller give me a new vectored heading in a missed approach (several aircraft were already “stacked”) to a way point and holding pattern that was not on the plates (map). Try that for information overload! Yes…I entered it wrong…but quickly corrected. The controller commented…“nice correction”.

To remain current, instrument rated pilots have to put in a number of hours every year flying IFR in IMC (real or simulated), including a number of ILS approaches. I tried that in MSFS, worked OK, but there’s a problem. In RW, to practice flying using instruments only, the pilot wears a hood that blocks the outside view. In MSFS that’s not practical. My suggestion:

Provide a way to blank out the external view & display only the instrument panel.

Hitting CTRL-1 fills my display with just the instrument panel, with no view outside. This accomplishes what I was after reasonably well.