VL3 - Rotax 915 mod

Small question about the VL-3. I tried to find the good suage of the fuel pump switch but struggling to find the information.

In the checklist we have to start it before turning the engine ON but if I start with the plane running on the runway it’s turned OFF so I supposed that it’s only used for starting the engine like the choke and once everything run you turn it off ? Is there any other use I should know about it ?

Thanks !

It’s not required to operate the engine. You want it on in critical phases such as takeoff and landing to ensure the engine has an uninterrupted fuel supply.

In MSFS default planes, I’m pretty sure the only thing it does is make a noise.

2 Likes

Thanks ryanbatc - I’ve been using the mod and it works great! I really enjoy this plane - one of my favorites.

1 Like

Cool little plane! Amazing speed for 100 hp.

As in all of the aircraft, it appears that Asobo didn’t bother to correctly model the aerodynamics, performance, and systems. It’s good enough for gamers, I guess.

Perhaps they decided to leave the realism to third-party developers. Hopefully, we’ll get some awesome aircraft with realistic characteristics and systems.

Hi ryanbatc, how is the status about the Rotax 915? Maybe possible?

It may happen…probably not within a month though

1 Like

Hello !

Okay two things :sweat_smile:

About the Racing Livery

You can find the racing livery of the VL3 on this website at the bottom of the page : https://orvidius.com/msfs2020/.
All credits goes to CMDR Orvidius. I just kindly asked for someone to create it :slight_smile:

About the Rotax 915

This is my first try to improve ryanbatc’s modifications on the VL3 with the turbocharged rotax 915 engine.

I made modifications based on:

What has been changed:

• Air speed gauge : I didn’t find any official informations so theses values are guesses
  • Turbocharged value to 1
  • Min and max design manifold pressure according to Rotax 915 manual
  • Max design manifold pressure altitude to 18000 feets
  • Min cruise rpm to 1800 according to Rotax 915 manual
  • Max gross weight to 1322 lbs according to website specifications
  • Empty weight to 794 lbs according to website specifications
  • Fuel capacity to 18.5 gallons for each tank, so it’s 37 gallons total according to website specifications (140 l)
  • Some modifications in reference speed section (200KTAS cruise speed, 100 KTS climb speed)

The plane is properly doing a max speed of 370 km/h at FL180 but it looks like the engine can do a lot better than 2000 ft/min climbing. I don’t know how to properly handle that.

If people can try it, we could make it closer to the real Rotax 915 powered VL3 :slight_smile:

Here is the mod : https://store.r9r.dev/nanor-vl3rotax915.zip

If you want to do some modifications, you can upload files on https://store.r9r.dev/

Also, please keep in mind that I’m not a professionnal pilot, so mistakes were probably made :grin:

3 Likes

Update already !

According to officials, the plane should go 186KTAS@FL95.

2020-09-17_11h07_08

Also, I watched youtube videos of vl3 and other rotax 915 based engines and I edited the color ranges from the G3X gauges like this :

[AIRSPEED]
min = 0
lowLimit = 42
white_start = 42
white_end = 123
green_start = 80
green_end = 240
yellow_start = 240
yellow_end = 290
red_start = 290
red_end = 340
highLimit = 360
max = 370

edit : it look like theses airspeed parameters totaly mess the gauge, i’ll have to check why

1 Like

@PongRaider

Heck ya! Awesome! Do you know is it working with latest patch?

About your airspeed gauge numbers… the glass airspeed is in knots indicated airspeed. Those values are probably in KMH. I modified some numbers for my 914 mod as well but be sure to convert those values to knots.

I was really sceptical to see the green zone go up to 240. I understand better now!

Also, I made a flight with very bad weather and the engine was climbing to 7200 rpm. Do you think this is normal? It is configured not to go beyond 5800 (according to jmb website) but maybe a strong wind makes the propeller accelerate?

The prop is a little whacky haha. The max rpm is probably 5800 rpm. I can’t be too picky because all I want to do is go fast in a small plane like this. And the paint job is awesome!

I had asked JMB about numbers but no one got back to me.

For cruise, per your numbers, they said 186 KTAS at 9,500 ft. Assuming ISA (international standard atmosphere) you would be doing 158 KIAS to get 186 KTAS. 158 kias converted to kmh is 292. So that would about start your redline on the G3X airspeed indicator. It’s also unusual to quote speeds in the yellow arc in this type of aircraft. You wouldn’t be cruising in the yellow arc for sure (it’s only for smooth air). This makes me wonder if the color coded speeds are different than what you have above? Or if they are correct the 186 ktas at 9500 ft is a never exceed speed Vne.

Also I found this promo video - their airspeed is in KMH in the G3X, where the sim is in Knots IAS.

I did some more tests this evening.

Speed at 18000ft : 182KTAS

7488 RPM and alarm in the cockpit (that’s probably the turbocharged effect ?)

G3X in the cockpit is all way red/white bars but in the exterior view, air speed gauges are properly handled. I guess I missed some configurations ?

2020-09-17_19h53_06

At 9500ft, we are at 175KTAS.

And 6400 RPM with alarms of course because we are over 5800 RPM.

Your first pic shows 235 KTAS. Book should be around 198 ktas at FL180. 5800RPM is max prop.

Oh yes sorry…
I recommend not to use my addon atm and use ryanbatc’s rotax 914 version as it’s far more accurate than mine.
I’m going to read up on it and try to propose something more precise because at the moment, it’s a bit of a mess :slight_smile:

I have too little technical knowledge on the subject. I suppose an expert from JMB would be of great help.

Maybe try to wack a PT-6 in there and make Mike Patey’s ‘Turbulence’ (basically steal the TBM’s engine and put it in the VL-3):

Its a sick plane. For a speed comparison to a cub:

I tried a very basic 915 mod a few weeks ago. You all have done a much better job, but I did some research particularly to solve the prop issue:

Max pitch on the real world 914 and 915 prop is now 40 (or 40.5, can’t remember) degrees. Changing that line in the engines file gave me a controllable prop through the normal <5800rpm range.

Does anyone know of any FSX available aircraft with a Rotax 915? This could be of great help to us.

The Rotax 915 has been certified in 2017 or 2018 so there are not many airplanes yet that use it. I am not aware of any ULs in FSX or P3D to be used as a reference.

I think the best chance is a VL-3 owner/pilot who can do some tests with power settings.

1 Like

Absolute game changer! i have this mod installed and i have to say that i’m enjoyining like a kid! Thank you so much! i can’t do else than fully recomend it to everybody!

1 Like

@PongRaider I updated the numbers converted from kmh to kias

[AIRSPEED]
min = 0
lowLimit = 22
white_start = 22
white_end = 66
green_start = 43
green_end = 129
yellow_start = 129
yellow_end = 156
red_start = 156