VOR World Tour through Asia

Hi guys,

Doing a VOR world tour with my Cessna 310, currently crossed from Alaska to Japan and looking for an interesting route through Asia to Europe. It’s a normally aspirated, non-pressurized plane, so I would prefer to not have to cross high mountains, but I can pass them close by for the views :slight_smile:

Are there any regions/routes with working VORs and good quality ground textures you can recommend?

I would download a copy of Littlenavmap, and plot your route with that. It can access the sim data.

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

1 Like

Just keep in mind the in-sim VOR ranges are not always correct, so you should always be ready to switch to dead reckoning or pilotage if you run into a VOR coverage gap.

1 Like

Thank you guys, you are right, I already have a couple of thousand nautical miles behind me, and it can be very tricky with VORs:

(please ignore the black line, it’s a bug in the FSE map when crossing to the “other side of the world” :>)

Sometimes they only provide a DME signal, sometimes direction indication but no course deviation, or they don’t work at all. Littlenavmap helps mostly with VORs, but the question of good ground textures still stands, and it tends to be very hit and miss. In South America, Patagonia and the Andes were great, but most of the northern part was just a randomly textured blob with the exception of some shorelines. I would like to avoid having to fly thousands of miles over land that looks bad :smiley:

That’s why I was hoping that someone before me tried to do it and might have some recommendations.

LittleNavMap needs to separate the VORs from the DME-only with a completely separate selection icon. IIRC, they’re currently lumped into the same category and that’s simply not useful for the broader swath of aircraft (other than those that use DME/DME to update their INS systems).