VR - Advanced VR rendering performance

Please introduce/support techniques to advance the VR rendering performance of MSFS in a dynamic way.
Techniques like the ones explained in this GTC talk video of Alex Vlachos:

It wouldn’t be so difficult to use fixed foveated rendering and could help a lot. It is weird that any of these current features are not applied in the simulator. We could have better performance with our current gpus.

1 Like

they do not need to sacrifice resolution. Resolution-wise the simulator is fine, as can be observed by rendering an VR-equivalent amount of pixels to flatscreen.

They just need to go to DX12 so that they are not drowning in drawcalls when they need to go through the render pipeline twice, once for each eye, as opposed to flatscreen.

3 Likes

I liked that my PiMax render pipeline had its own Fixed Foveated options. I missed that when I switched to the G2 (way better clarity in the sweet spot). So would love to see some in game options for these features as well.

I hope this will come along with DX12 as TheLittlePilot1 wrote.
As i remember, Nvidia has some features which increase VR performance. Hope they will also be used.

In SU5 i saw a big improvement in Mainthread time, but it seemed this was only for non-VR. In VR that was much higher and my 8-core 5800x was not used highly, not one core to the maximum. I disabled Hyperthreading which gave a bit better experience in the sim.

1 Like

I had a simple idea to increase frame rates in VR:
With my G2 when i activate the Developer Mode FPS Counter, i can nearly not see it in my left eye, it is displayed way too much right. But the black stencil is much more right.
So it would be nice if we could edit the black stencil in a way that the sim calculates only the pixels we can see and not the pixels we cannot see at the edges. i think with the G2 this could be easily 25% less Pixels and therefore perhaps 25% more FPS?!
Perhaps the easiest way for the developers would be to give the users a .bmp file with the stencil mask that everyone could edit it to his own likes with a program like paint?

Pimax does exactly this in their software but it oddly doesn’t increase fps…

Also mbuccanieri’s openxr toolkit does this end of February. Asobo, you can switch it efforts from FSR/NIS. And FFR or VRS. Matts been doing it out of his basement…got that taken care of - how about sooner support for wide fov headsets?

Eh, he’s an OpenXR dev for Microsoft so while it’s a project he has volunteered his free time for, “out of his basement” seems belittling.

There’s also still value in having this functionality supported directly by Asobo and it’s far from the only thing they could do to improve VR performance in general. Wide FOV headsets are a tiny niche within a niche and work on those would affect far fewer people.

I dont think you realized suppprt has since been added.

You mean OpenXR Toolkit’s support for Fixed Foveated Rendering? I don’t think anything in my comment suggests that I don’t know that. I was saying it is still valuable for Asobo to add it themselves.

No sorry maybe I misread. I meant for Wide FOV - it’s in SU10

This is very related to this post here, you should all upvote it as currently, it’s the best solution to make VR fast.

1 Like

Yes, I already did it. Thanks.

I would love quad views implemented as it would give VR a significant boost as it apparently does in other simulators, especially for the new 4k x 4k headsets coming out or in the works.

The frame rate of a VR headset plays a crucial role in providing users with an immersive and seamless experience, determines the smoothness and fluidity of image rendering in the virtual environment. A higher frame rate is essential for VR headsets to ensure comfortable viewing without causing dizziness or nausea to the user. Typically, at least 90 fps is needed to provide smooth performance and minimize instances of motion sickness. Frame rate in virtual reality is critical for users, as it directly affects the overall quality of the VR experience. Generally, the minimum requirements for VR simulation are considered 90 frames per second. The 2020 flight simulator is not optimized for VR users who absolutely need at least 90fps. With dynamic foveated rendering there is little gain in terms of fps, whereas with other strategies you could safely achieve the famous 90fps. DLSS itself is a good method but it degrades the cockpit a lot by making the instruments and glass cockpit hard to read.

In conclusion we need a native implementation of the game, which allows to render only what is framed by the eye at the highest possible resolution and leave the rest at the lowest possible resolution. For those without eye tracking, it is necessary to render the cockpit instruments at full resolution, and the rest can be processed with DLSS, then with different levels of DLSS in different sectors of the screen. The holy cockpit! :wink: