VR Benchmarks; SteamVR & WMR

I’ve spent the past week doing Benchmarks and did some “Final” ones today, conclusions & points below, original thread here: VR Benchmarks for nVidia Drivers - Virtual Reality (VR) for Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

1. The main “issue” from all these Benchmarks is that I’ve seen a clear need for much improved Optimisation with MSF using SteamVR, on the Charts below you can see I did two 461.33 SteamVR (that is OpenXR using SteamVR) Benchmarks with very different results, this is something I’ve noticed throughout. Yet look at the two 461.33 WMR (OpenXR using WMR) Benchmarks, they’re roughly the same. This suggests there’s still plenty of work to do from Asobo on the SteamVR side of VR Rendering, the rushed release of the VR Update clearly shows - to me - that there’s work to be done in this area (remember originally it was only going to be WMR Users with the first VR Update then all others later on, instead both were released at the same time before Xmas).
  2. You can see this for yourself in MSF, fly two identical Flights (use the Toolbar AP and rest your HMD on a steady surface and watch the Mirror on the Monitor), you’ll see slight pauses/stutters in different places in each flight. Yet with just WMR it’s pretty much all smooth every run.
  3. These Benchmarks were done with a fresh Reboot after Driver change and conducted on the First run of MSF, with a Different Plane & Settings to the benchmarks previously posted (so don’t compare with those) . Whenever I Restarted a Flight the performance was wildly different, very much like the Live Weather only working on First Flight, it seems VR is the same for smoothness, so if you’re using SteamVR I’d recommend a complete Reboot and/or restart of MSF every time you fly…annoying yes but again points to the need for further Optimisation & Performance improvements (incidentally I used Clear Skies @ 9:30am so Live Weather did not play a part in these tests).
  4. Switching In and Out of VR Mode also has detrimental affects when using SteamVR, firstly when you enter VR you need to leave it for a few seconds to let the Sim “settle down”. This was shown in CapFrameX by the FPS bouncing all over the place at the start until it normalised, going back to Monitor and my system bogs down so much I have to close all VR programs in the background. Here comes another point, when I restarted them they wouldn’t work correctly and FPS was in single figures, other times they restarted just fine, fingers pointing at SteamVR in this instance.
  5. There’s no doubt in my mind that nVidia Drivers have gone backwards prior to the 460s, having said that MSF is the only VR Sim that appears to be struggling on my system with different drivers, my VR Racing Sims and other general Games have all been perfectly fine with the latest drivers in recent months - again (!) this points to the need for Optimisation in this Sim.
  6. Even though 451.14 SteamVR “Won” with the best results, the aforementioned sporadic behaviour means I’ll be staying with WMR (OpenXR) and latest 461.33 until a Patch comes out with direct Change Log information on VR Optimisation for SteamVR and/or VR/the Sim in general. (If you’re wondering I use OVR Toolkit and FPSVR a lot hence my want to use SteamVR, but I can live without those for now).
  7. As ever these tests were completed on my System, your results & findings will vary so you need to find what works best for You on Your PC, do not take my Benchmarks as Gospel.
  8. Finally, should Asobo surprise us with some Optimisation with next weeks Patch I’ll try and find time to revisit and produce new Benchmarks, if they don’t I wont bother as it does take a fair chunk of time! (feel free to ask questions though, I’m always lurking)

4 Likes

I have the HP Reverb G2 and I have been testing between WMR and SteamVr, I don’t know why with the same configuration and resolution it has more graphic quality with OpenXR WMR. With SteamVR it looks more blurry. I wanted to use SteamVR so I could use the OVR Toolkit.

Do you have that problem too?

Thank you.

I have to run SS at 84% with SteamVR so it looks a touch blurry anyway, i think even at 100% it renders the image/SS differently than WMR do there will always be a difference.
Ideally I’d run only WMR but using OVR is a must for me so it has to be SteamVR.

I have SteamVR at 50% to adjust to the native resolution of the G2 which is like 100% OpenXR. 2160x2160 per eye.

But even with OpenXR 70% WMR looks better graphically than with SteamVR 50% (native resolution).

hmm latest drivers still no good, I’ll continue to stay with 457.30
Did 3 back-to-back benchmarks of each driver to avoid any unwarranted issues.

3 Likes

Just to add yet another opinion to this current mess that is MSFS VR Optimization, with my G2 I actually found that setting SteamVR as the active OpenXR runtime rendered a sharper image with much less aliasing problems or jagged edges. I’ve also been floored by the visuals when using the WMR runtime but at this one instance I found myself drooling over the instruments in the Cessna 152, with the most striking feeling of “actually being there” so far. Then I proceeded fiddling around with the settings (back to WMR again) and now I’m starting to doubt my experience.

Could anyone else make a comparison similar to mine and report their findings? For reference, I have a 5600X, 3080 and 32GB of ram. I used 100% super sampling in all applications involved; MSFS, SteamVR, WMR OpenXR dev tools. Most graphics settings on high or ultra. Not a smooth ride at all, mind you, but I was only going for pure clarity and visuals here.

461.72 (newest driver as of today) still no good for me personally, not sure what’s going on at nVidia but something’s not going right to continually lose so much performance.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.