VR Beta Testing Apply Now!

nope…not working. Probably MS ended signups…a pity since we in Europe get the news 9 hours late, unless you are up all night of course. :dizzy_face:
Kinda unfair for the original TI’s, esp for the ones lobbying to get vr going from the getgo :anguished:

Just worked for me (UK) @ 08:42. Clicked the link, uploaded the DXDiag, done. I didnt have to jump through any hoops.

But…but…the HP Reverb G2 launches next month!

I’ll probably register for phase 2, with my now rather ancient CV1, and will be paying attention to any feedback on what might be the best headset, with a view to upgrading.

Although MSFS wouldn’t be the only use for my new headset, it would probably be the main one.

Reverb G2 is currently the best option available, however, you can’t go wrong with the Valve index.

The G2 is not yet released so bit early to conclude its the best option? The valve index is very well received but might be a while later before it is working with MSFS. The Pimax 8KX is another SteamVR headset which has 220 degree FOV and highest resolution screen in a consumer VR headset, and is getting good initial reviews, but the company doesn’t have the best reputation for build quality or customer service so beware of that! Either way, we are going to need beastly machines to run this in VR I imagine.

1 Like

One of the requirements is to own the sim. So does Xbox game pass count?

High end machines are struggling to obtain 30-40fps in standard desktop view and hitting 100% GPU usage. On medium settings with a 2080ti I am hitting 90-100% gpu usage overall, how do you expect there to be GPU headroom for VR in a GPU intensive sim? I don’t see this going very well at all.

1 Like

Exactly what I want to know too.

I was playing X-Plane 11 VR at 23 FPS with my old rig … so I’m not worried about performance here, I’ll be happy with whatever FPS I get.

I hope I’ll get 90FPS with a i7 13700K and a RTX 5080ti

1 Like

Thanks…

I applied for the Beta VR test and uploaded succesful my dxdiag. So far so good but I read… You must OWN the sim. Well… I am a Gamepass user and on top of it I own all the upgrades…

Am I still a Beta Candidate or disqualified?

1 Like

this afternoon tried again, and surprise :slight_smile: works!

Same here! Still have not heard anything yet.

I do not yet have a VR headset, but have preordered the HP Reverb G2. It should be here at the end of October. So I wonder if I can be accepted to start testing as soon as the G2 arrives… Submitted my DxDiag today.

There are already few reviews online.

Among the Simracing community, the current Reverb has been proven to be the best solution. Good luck with Primax 8k… just marketing… your PC won’t be able to push all that amount of pixels for each lens (every frame is rendered twice for the stereoscopic vision) not to mention the heavily distorted image because of the large FOV they are trying to simulate/

I also applied even if there are no helicopters. And I would be happy to finally see the at least 20 watermarks on the screen again, I missed them so much. Umd I wonder if you can see these watermarks through the headset and whether they will be fixed at one point or whether they will turn when you turn your head. :grimacing:

Erm…

I re-installed P3D last week to try it again with my Rift S. I was getting 12 to 20 fps flying in CYVR area. (It would be out outside big cities.)

I found it certainly very flyable, even during the landing pattern. I’d sure like a lot higher fps but would not fly P3D on a monitor just to get it.

Nausea do to low frame rates? Is that a thing? With the DK1 and my first try of the popular roller coaster demos I experienced a bit. The DK1’s tracking had an almost imperceptible latency such that what your eyes were seeing didn’t exactly match what your inner ear felt was happening. For many people that produced severe dizziness and nausea.

The DK2 pretty much solved the latency issue so a lot less people experienced nausea. Maybe almost no one.

Now that I think of it I guess a low frame rate might cause nausea. Hmmm. That’s not the case with me though.

I guess the acid test is to try it. The view system built into msfs is pretty decent though so looking around isn’t the anywhere near the pain it used to be. If one can’t afford VR or always experiences nausea it’s not as huge a loss going back to a monitor as it would be if looking around could only be done with the numpad.

For me the problem with VR is headset comfort - but that’s for another post I’ll be making.

2 Likes

Edit:

lol. I noticed after posting that it was in this thread, and not another as I thought, that I posted with similar info in reply to ImDrako so this’ll be repeated info in some respects. Ah well.

I have an MSI Gaming Laptop I purchased in Sept of 19 for $1500 CAD / $1200 USD. It has an i7 8750 H, a 1660 ti with 6 GBs and, now, 32 GBs system memory.

I fly out of CYVR on ultra settings but with the object and terrain detail sliders backed off from 200 down to 125.

I’ve enabled nvidia’s fps display but hardly ever look at it because frame rate is hardly ever an issue. I’m sure it would be flying out of JFK but out of CYVR it’s not.

Mostly I fly out of small airports and grass strips hauling cargo and pax with OnAir and, if I had to guess, average around 50 fps.

CPU usage varies from around 50% to max, GPU usage has not been an issue but I can’t recall what it read. And memory? msfs crashed a few times when all I had was 8 GBs so, as I said above, it now has 32. I’ve never seen memory usage above 16. Still, if I build a new desktop, I’ll put 32 in it. Memory is so cheap nowadays.

Testing VR in P3D with my Rift S and Orbx PNW scenery though, I noticed what I call frame hitching. I mean, I could definitely see each individual frame but the “pauses,” were very brief and very consistent so it was almost not perceptible. Checking the fps it read 12. I was a bit shocked that at that rate it wasn’t more of a slideshow.

In msfs, for me, if I can get a solid 24 fps or better, hopefully on ultra but maybe only on high, I’ll have no complaints.

I have applied for the vr beta testing and after ages updated my msfs 2020 to discover i have the VR activated on it ,i must of been in the beta testing and didnt realise .
What i would be asking for is someone to help point me in the right direction ,i can not find anything to help me out on microsoft so i can sort it out .
I have been able to fly ,a 320 with my head out of the cockpit roof !
help !