[VR] Black flickering borders in Reverb G2 (when turning head)

UPDATE: After some experimenting, it seems the flickering black borders are directly related to frame rate and the G2s narrow viewport/gasket was just hiding it until now. If I lower settings to get around 60FPS, the effect dissapears. So I guess there’s nothing to do except use the standard G2 gasket until they invent more powerful hardware or, hopefully, optimize better!

===ORIGINAL POST=====
I got a FOV mod (custom gasket) for my G2 today. It definitely improves the FOV noticeably, but what’s annoying is that when I look from left to right, right to left, and sometimes also up an down, I see these black flickering borders at the egdes of the screen which kill the immersion.

They’re the same kind of borders I’ve sometimes seen randomly when there is a performance hitch, like it can’t quite render the scene fast enough, but much more consistent, probably now noticeable because I see much closer to the edges of the screen. It’s definitely related to FS - in other apps and Aerofly FS2, there is no such effect.

I don’t understand why this is happening, performance is pretty good and I am usually running 30-50 FPS depending on area. Has anyone else experienced this and maybe have some insight how it can be fixed? I wonder whethere it would still happen if my system is twice as fast. Or maybe there’s a graphics setting (e.g., Nvidia CP) that might affect this?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this as well. It looks to me like if you turn your head (to the right, for example), the new image data on the right side is rendered after the existing scenery is re-rendered.

If the edges were rendered and filled in before the rest, if might eliminate those black areas.

Or not! What do I know? :wink:

I am having same exact problem. just started out of nowhere. all has been great for the last 6 weeks using it, no changes.

I had similar problems when I increased the scaling of the image output. Is it possible that the game is having buffer issues?

It’s a drop FPS.

It is not a bug, this is how VR works and this is called re-projection and this helps addressing the motion to photon latency question. Search online for these terms and you’ll get further explanations.

[edited: render-to-photon -> motion-to-photon]

What, really? I have reprojection disabled though?
Or do you mean something else?

UPDATE: After some experimenting, it seems the flickering black borders are directly related to frame rate, and the G2s narrow viewport/gasket was just hiding it until now. If I lower settings to get around 60FPS, the effect dissappears.

So I guess there’s nothing to do except use the standard G2 gasket until they invent more powerful hardware or, hopefully, optimize better!

If anyone has had success with a G2 wide FOV mod, please let me know!

I’m probably talking about something different than what you think.

Please review the technical material in the chapter “VR Technology Explained” you can find here:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

TL;DR: reprojection of the render view image is intrinsic to the VR technology regardless of motion smoothing, so as as to position the view at the correct location due to the head moving from the time the application starts rendering the view to the time it displays in the headset (motion to photon latency).

OK I see what you mean. But it’s still a performance problem, right? At 50-55fps+ it disappears! In your setup, do you see the flickering? Doesn’t it annoy you?

I’ve now reduced the TA render a bit and it makes it much better

You’ll only see the view filling in black to the sides if the computer is not sending enough frames during the time you’re rotating the head. In other words, if your computer is rendering 2 frames per seconds and you’re rotating your head 90 deg in 1 sec, there is no other way and it is therefore normal and expected.

Shouldn’t everyone running 30 frames be seeing it though? I mean I see it up to 45 fps or So, but only with FOV mode. God to know it’s a pure fps thing though, yet another reason to wait for better hardware and optimization!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.