VR Controller support is missing. Please add in addition to 3D mouse

When yoke blocks something, You can still just point your laser beam and operated controls normally in Xplane , still much better than mouse…

2 Likes

I prefer using VR controllers for everything – including the virtual yoke – so that there is nothing blocking you.

Initially it feels weird grabbing the air, but it becomes natural very soon. Nowadays I even drive cars with manual transmission and shift gears using VR controllers without looking.

That’s best for immersion. Try VTOL VR on Steam and you’ll see.

1 Like

I find it unplayable. It’s like this in No Man’s Sky as well and I can barely flight.

A real yoke feels better imho, and if it’s blocking something, you can manipulate via laser beams in xplane. But everyone has his or her preferences and that’s fine.

1 Like

Any update on when we can expect the update? I hope it’s not going to be released on Dec 25, a year after VR release. It’s such a crucial aspect I wonder if FS2020 VR developers ever tried Xplane.

1 Like

I believe the new LOCK interaction system is a first step, not just for Xbox controllers.

In effect, it has all the properties you’d need for VR controllers:

• left mouse button = VR trigger to lock
  • move mouse left/right/up/down = VR Controller movement to rotate knobs (they could add controller rotation here)
  • secondary and ternary buttons = push/pull.

In other words, SU5 now has the interaction system code already in place for VR controllers.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking this very same thing. LOCK is not a step back, nor is it a capitulation to the XBox users. It is a step toward the implementation of VR controller input.

I have been using Touch controllers in flight simming since at least 2016 with FlyInside and on XP10! This is not recreating the wheel! MS/Asobo need to bring this item to the top of the list. It cannot be that hard, just hire one of the Flyinside or LR/XPlane guys.

They’re working on it, reportedly. Just like a million other things they’re working on. Things take time…

It is on the top of their VR list :slight_smile: Literally the only one of 2 items that has “started” on it and the only one with ETA this year. Most likely it’s going to be the December sim update, unfortunately… They mentioned some things about the next update and no mention of VR controllers yet…

1 Like

Agreed. This is definitely the first step towards VR controllers. I must admit I flipped back to legacy immediately after the update, but I must go back and try with the “lock” system, even with the mouse as I feel it might help me - I definitely struggle to use the mouse in VR.

1 Like

Just tried the new system. It seems Ok and definitely a good first step, but there are still some things to be ironed out.

For example, most of the knobs on the G1000 have a push button to select the control, but that doesn’t work, clicking on the button just selects the outer wheel so you can’t move between fields within the flight plan, etc.

It’s a WIP, I would say…

Got my Quest Airlink working pretty well for a few weeks now, and so now I’m spending half my computer time physically in another room from my computer!

That time is usually wishing I could be flight simming and the only thing stopping me is not having controller support…

So controller support for this would really get me in the cockpit a lot more!

I’ve got used to the mouse in VR (MSFS) and now find it better than the VR controller. My hand is still on the table and I can control everything with the mouse in VR. I also find rotary controls with the mouse wheel more convenient than waving the controller in the air and bumping into everything (office table, joystick, etc.). I also find the mouse easier than the controller with the headset on. I wish X-Plane also had such good mouse control.

1 Like

Although using the mouse works, it’s immersion-breaking for me. I prefer to control everything with VR-controllers, including yoke/stick! This gives the illusion of being inside an real aircraft. Except rudder pedals I don’t like to touch anyting outside my VR environment.

Not being able rest your arms on physical yoke/stick/throttle controls, and always holding vr controllers in hands, is also immersion breaking.

VR gloves + some type of roof pull that allows u to rest your arms in mid air seems to be a good idea.

Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about (but I have been a VR user, exclusively for flight sims, since CV1), but I cannot possibly imagine what these clunky VR controllers could possibly be good for. Used them once or twice, then never again. Having clunky controllers hang from your wrist while you fly is a non-starter for me. But more power to the people that like them…

When I first used the vr controllers in x plane I was blown away by the immersion. Reaching up in an airliner to the overhead panel and clicking and turning switches, reaching over to raise the gear or change the flap setting, I felt like I was actually sitting in the cockpit. No more fiddling with a mouse trying to get the right spot etc. I admit that using with a yoke was a bit clunky, banging into it when trying to reach some switches. I ended up ditching the yoke, joystick and throttle when flying airliners and only used rudder pedals. I only started using them again when I got msfs. I do miss vr controller support and hope one day to get it. Each to their own tho, I understand some prefer the mouse but I don’t see a problem with both options being implemented.

1 Like

I started my VR journey when X-Plane brought native VR support 3.5 years ago now. From the beginning they provided VR controller support and my first experience was with just the VR controllers.

Since the release of the Index controllers I have been using them with a physical yoke and rudder pedals with any headset I use.

My hope is for MSFS to provide me with that same choice that I currently have on X-Plane. Please don’t tell me what is best for me let me choose.

5 Likes