VR - Display clarity and sharpness, it’s too blurry!

I used the other sim last night to compare screen clarity as I was unhappy with the amount of blurry scenery and cockpit visuals I was getting. MSFS is definitely more blurry than the “other sim” and I can’t understand why.

I run a beefy setup and in the other sim I’m running HDR. For example, I was in cruise at 240 and I could see airports miles away. In MSFS I never see the airport runway unless I’m almost on an overhead join. Also the crispness is far superior in the other sim too. Has there been a MSFS performance issue happen in the last week or so?

I’ve cleaned the rolling cache and I’m running 100 in open XR. I don’t want to head back to the other sim, however, with crispness being far better, it could save my eyes from adjusting to a blurry normality.

1 Like

Several points I noted in your message:

• You can name the “other sim”. I wish it will be Aerofly FS2 which is the best in VR and fps friendly and sharp because you can run it at ultra settings supersampling 150%, but I think you talk about the “other other sim” which I love too which is XP11 (did I win?), unless you talk about DCS or Prepar3D, those “other other other sims”, or IL-2 which is my best choice for VR and combat. :small_airplane:
  • You said you have a beefy setup, that don’t exist :upside_down_face:, or at least, no machine are beefy enough for MSFS. Here everybody have a “beefy setup”, from old I7 with GTX1080 which can give really good result with accurate settings, to latest I9 and RTX 3090 which can have horrible results with the inaccurate settings. (sorry AMD users, I don’t know your beefy processor and gpu names, no offense). So please be more precise to describe this beefy machine.
  • You are using open XR, so I guess you’re using the Reverb G2, and not the “other headset” which is mainly the Quest 2. If it’s the Q2, I found your issue (open xr :crazy_face:)

No offense, just kidding, but more information needed and we will be happy to help :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It was beefy enough to run MSFS at ultra in VR with open xr and render scaling at 110 before the uk update.

As for the other sim it’s XP. Had a fly again last night and while it is old, it was crisp. :joy:

Ah, the (in) famous UK update… We are all at the same place…
But more info needed in any case, we have some great post around with guide to all situations, waiting for Devs to optimize obviously.

One reason for lack of crispness in MSFS is probably found in the implementation of anti aliasing. TAA is not very suitable for VR, but it’s currently the only viable way. Still have hopes for DLSS with DX12.

I9-9900k, rtx 2080 ti, 6tb SSD, 32gb ram, HP Reverb G2.

Nothing overclocked and nvidia driver 457.30 - with settings that are from various threads on here.

Prefer performance etc.

1 Like

Any word when DX12 is likely to arrive?

This year but not anytime soon. No one from the devs mentioned DLSS already though.

1 Like

90% rendering in the sim settings and 1.3ss in oculus tray tool with TAA on gets me the same crisp visuals as XP11 with the rift s. Turn bloom off as well.

1 Like

The OP negated to mention that he owns a DK2. Lol

I wouldn’t count on DLSS implementation at least from microsoft. They’re probably optimizing for the xbox and the xbox has AMD graphics. AMD doesn’t have DLSS.

1 Like

It’s weird if you use the same OpenXR settings of 100% MSFS is more blurry.

Possibly it’s because the MSFS post-processing is more heavy in MSFS (haze in the distance, AO, Bloom, etc.).

Could you share your graphics in game settings including RenderScale?

E.g. If I keep all at 1:1, render in my native resolution (CV1 screen is 1080x1200 per eye), I have very blurry results:
TAA 100%
PixelDensity (SuperSampling) 1.0
Resolution rendered by the game 1344x1600 per eye
Final Resolution send to headset 1344x1600 per eye

If I play with Pixel Density and RenderScale I have a very crisp image and still good fps (45 locked no retropro):
TAA 70%
PixelDensity (SuperSampling) 1.7
Resolution rendered by the game 1590x1892 per eye
Final Resolution send to headset 2272x2704 per eye

So it’s an equilibrium game :thinking:

1 Like

VR in MSFS just seems generally foggy, seem to get light cast in weird directions…

VR in Aerofly 2 is amazing, the planes are so clear, its like your wearing glasses…

I don’t understand why MSFS is so foggy in comparison…

Very interesting observations ! I agree although once setups in both are optimised as much as possible, there are caveats:

VR in MSFS does seem foggy in comparison. Foggier though way more detailed under the fog. This can definitely be improved by pushing Render Scale upwards & adjusting various detail settings upward & downward. Or even so that FPS pushes downwards towards 22.5 fps & reprojection to 90 fps. That’s not so bad though the foggy & wobbly qualities can be accentuated in many situations. Prop texture mods help but there’s still a considerable loss in fidelity.

For my own definition of clarity, it’s best to get highest fps without enabling motion reprojection.

With Aerofly FS2, it’s possible to get much higher fps without motion reprojection though with much less detailed & animated scenery. One exception is the community created Hawaiian Islands. The high-end batch file option enables maximum animation including ships, boats, birds, limited air & road traffic.

2 Likes

Need to check out the Hawaii Add-ons.

What’s the render scaling setting in the MSFS settings?

The goal of Render Scaling is to render the game at a different resolution than the final display on monitor or in your VR headset.

E.g. if you set RenderScale to 50% is will render at 50% of your final resolution, and then it will upscale to it. So it will be blurry and pixelated, but quicker. If you set it upper than the final resolution, it will render at higher resolution (so will take more resource) and then downscale to your final display. the result is more crisp versus if you rendered at 100% because it act like a very good antialiasing system.

In VR it’s more complicated. I have 70% renderscale and a supersampling of 1.7 In Oculus Debug tool (or whatever you use, openXR, SteamVR Supersampling, etc.). The 70% are computed on the final resolution, so my native resolution multiply by 1.7, so instead of 100% 1344x1600, the game render at 1590x1892. Then it upscale 1.7 so that give 2272x2704 which land in final to my 1080x1200 screens per eyes, so very crisp.

yes I know, it’s hard to explain :crazy_face:

Edit : OUPS! I thought you asked what is it, not what is the OP settings, didn’t see you are a Forum Moderator, sorry!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Feedback for the thread. After deleting the rolling cache (recommended by a few on this forum) I gave SteamVR a serious try and had it working to an acceptable level with only a few head turning stutters here and there. The crisp quality of Steam VR is better than OpenXR, but not by much.

I flipped back to OpenXR to compare results and I had the smoothest, crispest flight I’ve ever had - seriously thought I was in my bird. Not completely crisp vs SteamVR but I could make out windows of houses at 2000ft.

I can only theorize that MSFS got “blocked” up with rendering VR or that aggressively changing the settings overwrote everything.

I’ll edit this post to include my render settings later today. But I’m running high on everything except texture resolution which is on Ultra and Occlusion at medium. 90% render scaling with OpenXR at 120%. No stuttering through photogrammetry (I tested with a place called Birmingham in the UK.)

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.