VR Hand Controller demo

I had been using mbucchia’s OpenXR Toolkit Hand Controller setup and a Leap Motion on and off the past few months with a lot of aggravation, but with the help of another user and some updates to the Toolkit that he just released, its finally showing a whole lot of promise. For those who might be trying to push their cockpit interactions, you might find this quick 3 minute walkthrough useful. So very happy today to have this working in a more reliable way. If you are looking to set something like this up, links are in the description.

8 Likes

Wow amazing big up! This is what we all need…looks like really great progress. Is any leap motion good or are there multiple versions? I see a lot of second hand one’s for reasonable prices…

I am using the lowest tier of Leap Motion which cost me like $100. The hand tracking is accurate. I still need to do some flights where I use it heavily but after a lot of aggravation the past months, this was a big step. I’d say if you have the money, it’s fun to play around with but if you’re on a budget, there may be better places for the dough. It’s my 3rd tier after my Hotas and after my mouse, so I’m not ■■■■ out of luck if it’s giving me grief. It’s a nice to have. I’ll post more updates after I get a few long flights in. Feel free to message me if you do go down this road and hit issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, really cool this is the future.

I hope there will be a major VR update at some point in time that allows us to have responsive VR interactions such as these by default. IMO, the legacy ponter ray should be removed altogether. I miss the type of VR menu used in X-Plane, where your options would be summoned by your VR controller, then you could use the thumbstick to choose your options. Even better if we can do it all without having actual controllers! Also, the issue of not being able to use both hands at the same time is a major bummer. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not going back to X-Plane, but I find the VR in MSFS is lacking for the moment. Your video gives me hope.

I think it’s safe to assume ASBO have abandoned VR Controller support moving forward.
The PC12 and 414 have good controller support it’s nice to see but most aircraft like the JF146 or Maddog will never have controller support.
it’s clearly above their abilities, even the PMDG cannot get the throttles to work.

for this reason, i use FS2020 for VFR flying with controllers and Xplane 12 for complex IFR flying (night only so i don’t need to see them horrible ground textures XP12 has)

But as a project Asbo looks to have abandoned Native controller support

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.