VR implementation poor

Asobo, for the love of everything holy, please please please employ some experienced VR developers. VR is obviously not your strong point, as a result you’re letting down a huge portion of your msfs community. :frowning:

25 Likes

I’m not sure what in particular you are referring to, but I have to agree. I went for a VR flight and could not readjust the ATC window with the mouse nor use the keyboard to acknowledge commands. ■■■!

4 Likes

I’m referring to the overall implementation of VR in the sim. It’s obviously a bolt on that could be described as cross threaded. It works, but it could be so much better!

7 Likes

I’m not surprised: in all of the recent videos to advertise this update there wasn’t an single word about VR. This alone told me that we weren’t going to blown away by what their work on vr…

7 Likes

“works” describes it loosely. im in the process of patching xplane 11

2 Likes

I was doing my best to be polite. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Experienced developers like Tony and Dan from Flyinside would have been great!

3 Likes

I was a moderator on the FI website and an Alpha and Beta tester for Dan. His work was incredible. I’m convinced he fixed the disastrous implementation of XP11’s initial attempt at VR because the native VR suddenly became wonderful and he pulled his FI XP version off the market.
5 years ago we had better VR experience in P3D and XP than the nauseating implementation in MSFS thanks to his own brilliant version of ASW that got the best out of the H/W at the time.
I think VR is a niche market in MSFS because for one its only available on PC, not Xbox and we all know they are concentrating on the movement to a console adventure game versus a sim, so I expect no real changes any time soon.
XP12 will probably pull many of the VR and home cockpit simmers away from MSFS. Disastrous VR and no complex multi screen ability are killing it for those simmers in MSFS.
UInlike the chap you were responding to, I think the VR folks are in fact only a small part of the community by comparison when you look at how many have joined on the XB. So we can’t expect any real momentum probably ever. Just look at the hit we got in this update, we were the sacrificial lamb to get the rest of the update and Reno Air Races out. They knew they had broken VR, its in the release notes.

13 Likes

Agree. It is clear to me whatever VR developments or improvements have been, if not wiped out entirely from their work log, at least moved to the very bottom of it, so I sadly don’t expect any improvements in the next sprints, whatever length they are.
VR is almost broken for me; menus that can’t be moved, losing controls randomly (i.e. my throttle controls just stop working) and random crashes.
Worst thing is I bought the Deluxe package and a few additional stuff on marketplace, all on Steam, so they just redirect any support cases to MS and MS just points “if running on Steam, talk to them…”
Also sad, as pointed out in other posts, that MS publicized so much about the Reverb G2 being their flagship yet they have not made it work on it.
I guess nothing we can do except wait and hope someone shakes the dev team and put VR back in thr backlog for fixes… months from now.

2 Likes

After SU05 they tell, “there will be a lot of changes for VR by the end of the year”.
Well, they kept their word. :joy:

7 Likes

This year, aka 5 weeks?

@CursedTester15 - SU05 came out in august

Yes, so thats 4 weeks to go, so its not going to happen?

1 Like

It has already happened.
VR has changed a lot. They didn’t say in which direction :joy:

3 Likes

Total mess this VR now

2 Likes

VR a mess. Toolbar broken since the last Game of the Year Update. No hotfix yet. No response by the Zendesk as far as I can tell. Asobo and Microsoft really don’t care about VR I guess.

2 Likes

That was the first thing I had noticed, was the poor works of VR with regards to the ATC window. You cannot select an airport, or make any commitment towards ATC for requests without having to shut down the ATC window and use the keyboard command for ATC. Ridiculous and the developers need to sort this out ASAP.

I’m surprised, and slightly disappointed that some of the excellent MSFS YouTube content creators aside from VR Flight Sim Guy (Steve) haven’t called Asobo out on it’s absolute lack of communication with its VR player base. Ok, so we’ve had some acknowledgement of the issue, but no indication of if and when a hot fix will be rolled out.

I’d like to think it’s because they’re embarrassed (Asobo) by the almighty F’up that it is. But who knows.

2 Likes

To be fair I don’t think any YouTuber has aggressively called out Microsoft or Asobo for their :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: implementation of VR. Because you know if they had put as much effort as they did for the implementation of Xbox into VR it would be class leading by now. Point in question is implementation of a few lines of code could get wide FOV headsets working and yet this is not scheduled until 2023 beggars belief. I just have that horrible sinking feeling that the men from Microsoft and the grey suits have moved in and slowly but surely this will be turning into a Xbox game regardless of what the dev preselected Q&A’s show on YouTube. Just take their last one as an example why would they do it one day before the release and then tell everyone that’s it until after the New Year. I wished XPlane12 could have teamed up with someone like Google to really create hard-hitting competition.

4 Likes

Steve (VRFlightSimGuy) did call out Asobo on there VR attempt, but he’s too nice a guy to really give ‘em what for. But you’re right apart from him (as far as I know) no other content creator has really addressed the issue. Sometimes, I think MSFS content creators underestimate the potential influence they have.