VR issues - Oculus Rift S

Close your right eye. The cursor is lined up with your left eye. :wink:

Thank you, I totally realised this, this morning having trawled the forum for help. Just so happens my right eye is dominant. tried with my corrective glasses and it felt a lot better. Why do you think I only noticed it really badly flying the Xcub? Most other planes I have used seemed not to cause this issue.

Yeah, I’m right eye dominant as well, (I think more people are?). I think the closer the button or switch that you are trying to “touch” the more pronounced the effect. (Maybe) Either way I’m doing the right eye wink all the time. :wink:
Cheers

I’ve only been VR ing for about a week and my poor brain now has to remember to shut one eye to accurately use instrumentation. I have been trying today and kept forgetting which eye to shut ! It’s a good job nobody can see my face during these sessions as I think it might be quite amusing.

Hi, I have a Ryzen 7 / GTX 2060 and a Rift S and until the latest update was enjoying smooth performance everywhere in VR at default settings + scaling set to 100%. From today it has become appalling - frame rate must be 1-2 fps with large segments blacked out. I tried resetting everything, cleared cache and removed local files. It got better when flying outside London, but when I returned there it has become awful again. Clearly hard is OK as it was working before - does anyone else have this problem or know of any fixes? I hadn’t bothered with a local cache before, but have 25GB for the rolling one on a PCI drive. Any help gratefully received as am so disappointed that VR experience has gone! 2D seems fine but I don’t want to go back to that.

Seriously? That’s the solution? Close one eye?

Similar things here, although I’m Quest 2.

I’m still buttery smooth over most locations that haven’t changed much (Florida, Bristol) but London just murders my FPS.

For instance, just flew from Bristol to Heathrow, TBM IFR. Bristol - lovely! Get over London on the approach for 27R, and FPS slowly drops… and drops… and… d…r…o…p…s…

PC specs are (with no overclocks):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair 3200 MHz
Storage (OS): 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2
Storage (FS2020): Sabrent Q 1TB NVME M.2
MoBo: Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Plus
Cooler: Corsair H100x
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Case: NZXT H510
Monitor: 1080p 60hz HDMI Benq
VR: Quest 2 64GB

I didn’t write the software, I was just helping someone out that was having trouble with the pointer on switches and buttons. Flight simulator lines up the pointer with the left screen perspective.

No I get that, I know it sounded like I was challenging you but I wasn’t. Just shocked that’s what we have to result to. Its quite ridiculous and I’m sure you’ll agree. Thanks anyway for suggesting a temporary solution, it didn’t work for me but I’m glad someone tried something

After installing the latest update on my I9 / 10850K / GTX3080, I experienced very erratic behavior in VR mode only. I see flashes of light and jerky scenery. Also my mouse pointer is bouncing up and down on the screen between flashers.

I reported this to the Zendesk about seeing erratic behavior in VR with my Rift S. They responded quickly saying they will address the flashes in the next update. The fact that they did not grill me for specifics to try to recreate my experience… leads me to believe they already know the problem exists.

This is a good sign and hopefully a fix will be coming soon for this serious break in immersion.

1 Like

Get out of the Beta program in the Oculus settings, it’s not needed anymore to fix old problem they have (like black pencil) and fix for lot of persons the flash you describe. You will have Oculus release v25.x instead of beta v26.x

1 Like

checking . . . .

Normally it should go back to release v25. Some (a few) wasn’t able to fix like this and had also to run a “repair” launching the OculusSetup exe. The flash will still be there, but only like previously, like few per minutes instead of a lot per seconds :wink:

Unchecking the beta reverted me back another version but it didn’t show me a version number. After restarting Oculus Home, I got a serious message indicating the VR failed because OpenXR was not installed. So I performed a ‘warm boot’ and all is well in VR Mode now

I launched MSFS 2020, and entered VR Mode. After resetting my position, and taking off in the 787-10, no flashes not even one but my test flight was only about 60 seconds.

It worked and thanks .

This thread is obsolete. I suggest to jump on this one to better understand the issue:

I’m out of beta but the white flashes have returned again !! Ugh!!!

Well . . . I can’t explain what just happened but my severely frequent white flashes just disappeared. Now the simulator is running smooth as silk. I was already outside the beta program with frequent white flashes. So just for the heck of it, I reactivated the beta program. Then I shutdown the computer and restarted it . When launching Oculus Home, the software updated (to a new driver I presume) and now the white flashes issue has resolved. This may be a fluke so I’m not suggesting anyone do this. If the simulator continues to run stable in VR for MSFS2020, I will surely report my findings to the community here after a few additional flights.

Wish me luck and success!

My rig is:
I9-10850K @3.6GHz running at 4.9GHz
ASUSTek Prime Z490V Motherboard
WIN 10 19042 Build x64 based
Bios Version 1601
32GB Installed

OK so I have done a number of flights from KLAX. KJFK, KATL, KCOS, KPUB and I have not seen any white flashes . . not even one! Birds flown included: A320neo C152 & C172.

In MSFS2020: PC Graphics is set to ULTRA; and VR Graphics is set to HIGH END and ‘STILL NO WHITE FLASHES’

As mentioned before, I can’t explain why it is now working properly; but if you have any questions I’ll try to answer them to replicate my settings.

I also noticed one important thing: The more I ‘dink around’ trying different graphic settings, the more unstable my graphics became. I discovered its OK to make whatever changes I want in graphic settings but to truly see the affect of the change a [cold restart (not warm) ] must be performed. Failure to restart after changing graphic settings causes degradation in smoothness . The more I dinked – the greater the degradation in smoothness until at some point the graphics simply freezes.

Bottom line - Try what I did in my prior post.

1 Like

I had the same experience. I was getting lots of flashes last week so I opted out of beta and rolled back the drivers. Today the flashes were back so I enabled beta again and no more flashes. Of course all I did was start up the plane, taxi to the runway and then I crashed when it wouldn’t rotate no matter how much I pulled back on the yoke.

I agree about the cold start needed to make tests. The sim perform randomly each time you change a settings, at least on my machine, and only a full relaunch fix more or less this problem.
Also to be sure, and as my computer have its OS on an dedicated SSD drive, I removed the “Windows Fast Boot” feature to be sure my computer is clean when I start it. It don’t change drastically the boot speed.
This is needed because turning off your computer save OS information used to start more quickly next time, and only a restart (Windows Start Menu->Restart) clean all and do a fresh start.
You can verify this by E.g. change the “HAGS” settings (Windows parameters->Game->Graphic Parameters (on top right)->HAGS ON or OFF. It will display a message saying you need to restart your computer. Turn your computer OFF, and then later ON, and the message will still here. Only a real Restart will get ride of it.
So removing the Windows Fast Boot is a good option IMHO. You need to go on System settings->Power parameters->More power parameters and uncheck a box here (translated from my french Windows).