VR issues? - Pimax

Where do I get PiTool V1.0.2.087 from? The latest version of the pimax website is V1.0.1.266???

I downloaded it from the link that I posted above. https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-vr-experience-0-84-0-0-beta/33810
It’s a bit confusing because updating the 1.0.2 version installs the 1.0.1 version again… so I just installed 1.0.2 and did not do the update after that again.

I did not have any issues with the Recenter key works on my spacebar.

1 Like

The yellow screen issue is caused by HDR mode enabled. Before switching to VR mode, disable HDR in Windows.

So far testing all kinds of settings, Im starting to realize that we must settle for 30-45fps with 8KX for now. There seems to be no way to improve the frame rate, without hurting the image quality too much.

Regarding image quality, I have also realized that using a higher Render Quality in PiTool (1.25 or 1.5) and reducing the SteamVR Super Sampling to a value that gives me around 3800 pixels horizontally, produces the most sharp image, highest GPU utilization (killing the temperatures on 3090 hehe) and more or less the same performance (30-45fps).

This looks way better than Render Quality 1.0 and SteamVR SS 80/90/100%. But performance is the same.

Also, the in-game Render Scale dramatically decreases image quality below 100%, so I would not recommend playing around with that one below 100 or at least not below 90%.

This is for 8KX only, in native mode.

Either way, this is a fantastic VR simulator - really not a bad first public VR version!

Its all about finding a good balance while at least getting the best possible framerate, preferably above 40fps.

2 Likes

I am close to giving up. I think I followed every advice in this forum. But no success. All I get is when I switch to VR is two renders of the screen on my regular monitor. When I put my pimax 5k+ on, I see nothing but a zigzag line on my left, and when I tilt my headset 45 degrees up I see a highly distorted rendering of the screen, same if I tilt my headset 45 degrees down. I’ve used my headset for DCS for years, so I know it works… Any advice will help…

Try running Room Setup in PiTool and then start FS2020 again. Seems to solve some rendering issues!

This should solve your problem @PathlessSpore60

1 Like

I have the 5k xr my main issue now is the same as I had in P3D V4. I can’t read many of the instruments from a normal sitting possition. How is that in the 8k Native ? I’m evaluating to switch to the 8k x or the Reverb G2.

1 Like

I’m getting really bad ghosting but only when the game is the focused window, if I alt+tab out the ghosting goes away.

Yes on Pimax 8KX, using a high rendered resolution, the gauges and text is easily readable from a sitting position. Its all about the pixel count, after all…

Hmm maybe its caused by Smart Smoothing? Have you tried disabling it?

It was already disabled, I tried enabling it and nothing changed so it’s back to being disabled.

If you can maintain a framerate which is half of your refreshrate (or better), then Smart Smoothing will make the flight super smooth and make it feel like its running in full framerate. For instance if you run in 45+ fps on a 90Hz headset. Its basically frame interpolation.

But if your framerate drops lower than half of your refreshrate, then Smart Smoothinh wont help much and can even introduce some more stutters.

What refreshrate are you running?

I couldn’t get VR to work with my Pimak 8k at the start so I uninstalled pitool. Rebooted and installed the latest version of Pitool, rebooted and started Microsoft Flight sim. Then I just switched in game to VR mode and it worked perfectly. It has worked every time since.

My only problem is the Recenter key just doesn’t work but I don’t think that has anything to do with Pimax.

64Hz, flying around DFW I’m seeing 27-29fps and my RTX 3080 is being pegged at 100% utilization. It’s just strange that the ghosting goes away when the game isn’t in focus.

It does sound weird indeed. Let me see if I can find a solution.

Btw, stupid question but its not Motion Blur maybe?

No, it seems more like some kind of a refresh issue with the screen. Is there a firmware update for the 5k+ newer than 2.1.255.269 that should be used with PiTool 1.0.2.087?

As far as I know, version *269 is the latest.
Does this issue exist in other games besides FS2020?

By the way, have u tried disabling Gsync?
Or switching to Window mode in the PC settings in FS2020?

No, I can play iracing on 90Hz with ultra settings and it stays locked at 90fps with no issues. Only reason I would say it’s a display issue with the screen is because I don’t notice it on the monitor when moving the headset around so it looks like it’s only within the headset itself.

1 Like

Or maybe I just fixed it by closing pitools :man_shrugging:

edit nevermind that didn’t fix it, it seemed to once then I couldn’t recreate it again. I can confirm it’s not showing on the monitor, it’s just something that’s happening on the screens in the headset.

1 Like

My 8kx worked perfectly. Bsides the low fps due to cpu bottleneck.

My steps were launching the game.
Then launch pitools
Then launch steam vr in .75 small fov
Then in game activate VR mode.

Low fps was due to cpu bottleneck. 7700k cpu 1080ti

1 Like