VR prop mod not working

Hey guys

Anyone any idea why I can’t get this prop mod working? I’ve tried installing it to both community folders on my computer, and it still refuses to work. I’ve tried putting just one single folder (prop mod) in the community folder, or by putting all of the individual mods (Cap10) in the folder, and even by putting the contents of the Cap 10 folder into the community folder! But nothing works…

These are the drives I have tried installing the mod onto.

F:\MSFS\Community

C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

I’ve tried it every which way. I’ve followed videos and I’ve used Mod tools and it just won’t work! With motion smoothing the propeller artifacts are still very noticible. I’m not exactly new to using mods so I can’t see how I am doing anything wrong (though it is possible) especially as after so many lone attempts I just went ahead and followed this video to a T -

I’ve also bought another paidware terrain (UK) mod that I am not sure is working either.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

You need to know how the mod structure works.

Basically, inside the Community Folder you can have multiple folders with whichever mod names you want them as. But inside that mod folder, there has to be these files: layout.json file, and manifest.json file. You can’t add another folder on top of that mod folder.

So judging from your screenshot, you have:

PROP_MODS_Community/Prop_MOD_kingair350/

This structure cannot work, because the layout.json and manifest.json file are inside the Prop_MOD_kingair350 folder, which is 2 level down from the Community folder.

So you need to get rid of the PROP_MODS_Community folder and just go straight to the Prop_MOD_kingair350 folder.

Another thing, it’s not suppose to be in F:\MSFS\Community too… Your second folder path is correct. That’s where you put your mods in. But you have to make sure that inside that community folder. You’re only allowed to have 1 folder, and the manifest.json and layout.json file must be inside that single folder. So if you have multiple mods, you have to make it in a separate folder. You can’t Group mods together by consolidating them into one folder. That will break the mod, and the sim won’t be able to read them.

That fully depends where his repository is currently situated. Either he has installed the sim twice or moved his repo. But it’s not to say the first path is not correct.

True… but judging the existence of that C folder it’s suggested that it’s created in that folder at some point.

This is why I dislike multiple partition drive to install applications in. It’s a hassle to maintain the registry and things just tends to not work that well if the link to the repository is different. I prefer a single drive in my PC and everything goes in there.

If I need to manage something, I only manage my files into cloud drive that’s synced to my local drive, but not my apps. But that’s just my personal preference.

I have already tried it using this system though-

Does this look as it should look?

This is how I tried it initially simply by following the instructions. I only tried installing it onto my c: drive (and in a variety of different ways) due to feeling all out of logical alternatives.

F drive is where the game is installed by the way.

I have actually moved (reinstalled) from D drive to an external SSD (F) if it helps. I also used dev mode within MSFS to find out which drive I was supposed to use, as directed by instructions from an external source. It should be F I think. However I had seen other people complaining of this problem and saying that the appdata © folder worked for them. It doesen’t work for myself however…

Have a look in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

The last line says something like

InstalledPackagesPath "E:\Games\MSFS"

This is the current repository location.

Thanks was hoping it would but it says-

InstalledPackagesPath “F:\MSFS”

That is fine :slight_smile: So your mods should be in F:\MSFS\Community

And was the file structure as shown above good to go do you think?

I don’t know what’s inside the folders. What does the Installation.txt doc say?

• To Istall, copy and paste any Prop_MOD folder to the FS2020 Community Folder.
  • To Uninstall, delete Prop_MOD folder from the FS2020 Community Folder.

I ended up doing a fresh install. Not because of this, but because I started getting black screens with (very) long loading times on startup.

Not something I wanted to do, as this is my third reinstall now, and the last time it took well over 12 hours to download where I am!

It is a fantastic experience when in-game, but I might be ready to give up with it until it becomes more stable if a similar thing happens again next time, as it’s taking up too much of my time and sanity!

Maybe should avoid mods as well, as perhaps that might have something to do with it. There really needs to be some alternative or equivalent to steams verify game cache utility for MS store users, because with the MS version there doesn’t seem to be a way to repair possible corruptions. Certainly not with the add/remove programs repair function anyway!

Anyway at least now I have 12 hours of peace!

Hi @win2klaurence,
I’ve moved your topic into 3rd Party add-on discussion. In the Bugs & Issues, we only want topics related to MSFS default content only.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.