VR Question - What is the best VR Headset for FS2020?

Don’t buy from a 3rd party scalper on Amazon. Buy from the source.

1 Like

I was just thinking that. Same thing that happened with Honeycomb’s throttle.

1 Like

Are you having to use Parallel Projection? What frame rate do you get?

In any case, it’s still not cheap. I think 899 or 999 US. But it’s the best there is atm. And those controllers can’t be beat.

I have similar specs as yours and I have the G2. For msfs I think it is the best choice. I also own the Rift S and G1. I addition the ce G2 seems to be the test platform that MS/Asobo are using.

You will love it!

Hello Gang. Many thanks to all for your valuable input. One last question…considering that the HP Reverb G2 is not available anywhere for purchase at the moment, what would be my next best viable option without having to spend $1,000 USD and break the bank?

Thanks again

An alternative is to get a used G1 off of eBay for about $300 which will you give you gave you the same resolution as the G2. Differences are the controllers and the lenses. I have both the G1and G2 and I can say that the G1 is very close to the G2. If you can find the G1 pro it will be better in terms of improved cable quality and face gasket comfort.

Make note that the headset pictured is under $1000. The complete package including controllers is the $1799 option. Seems reasonable.

Yes and around 30/35 medium setting in MSFS2020.

From the Steam store direct. The FULL package, including HMD, controllers and base stations is $1319 CDN, which is about 999 USD ± a few bucks depending on the exchange rate at the time. That’s the normal price. And you get Half-Life: Alyx for free, which is an incredible game and VR experience in itself.

I’d never even dream of buying something like this from a scalper on Amazon.

1 Like

And shipping, import broker/taxes?

The fact that the two listed packages are shipping from Valve would indicate to me that it is likely reputable and the knowledge that, through Amazon, I am going to pay the upfront charge and it will end up on my doorstep for that price usually makes my buying decision for me.

I am sure you have purchased products online and ended up paying nearly double by the time you covered all the shipping and import costs. I just recently had a charger for my boat replaced under warranty. By the time the brokers and UPS were done, my free replacement cost me $472.

Totally agree Crunch. Be careful where you buy and pay attention to the details. In this case, the visor is from ??? but the pkgs are both manufacturer direct. I would feel pretty good as long as those prices are “on my doorstep”.

I don’t know, but Reverb G1 is great … I just need an RTX 5080 to release the full potential :joy:

That doesn’t indicate the seller. This indicates the manufacturer of the product. You won’t see who the seller is until you click on the actual item and it will be listed in the product details. This is NOT being sold by Valve on Amazon.

I bought my Index controllers a bit over a year ago at launch via the Steam Store. The package was shipped from within Canada, not from the US. It came with free shipping and no import fees. I paid the listed price.

So USBNovel makes Valve visors too. :wink:

Hey all – new to this thread, so apologies if it’s been mentioned/discussed. I have the Quest (original, not the Quest 2) – will this work well for VR? I have an RTX 3080 and high-end PC, but I know the Quest is “old” compared to some of the newer VR headsets. Thoughts?

Yes, try searching the VR forum for “quest”, there are plenty able to answer your question there, if not already:

Latest Virtual Reality (VR) topics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

With parallel and FOV 150 around 35 with Ultra/medium.
with FOV 170 around 22/27.

Money no object?
VARJO looks promising except for the average field of view.

Possibly the latest PIMAK then.

Vive Pro here with a radeon vii, 3900XT @ 4.5GHz, 32GB DDR4 3200 CAS14 running @ 3600. It’s bearable on my system with framerates in the low 30s but quite steady. The immersion keeps me hooked in to VR flying in MSFS. Night flying in the Vive Pro with it’s OLED panels looks absolutely beautiful. Looking forward to upgrading to a better video card if and when they become available.Mainly fly the CJ4a modded (BTW excellent job by the modders).

Other sims like P3D (DX12), Flyinside, FS2, X-plane 11 (Vulkan) and even DCS handle the framerates much better although they aren’t pumping out as much detail as this sim. I look forward to MSFS cutting across to DX12 ASAP and taking advantage of more CPU cores to spread the load better and take advantage of a greater CPU core count.

If you use the in game FMS to program your flight (like real life), and not the world menu… Then toggling VR mode deletes your flight plan.

:man_facepalming:

yours truly,
-Airline simmer who thought they could use VR.