VR Question - What is the best VR Headset for FS2020?

Hello Gang!

I’ve been reading up on all the reviews regarding VR in MSFS2020 and I am thinking of taking the plunge and buy my first VR headset. For those of you that have had experience with VR in FS2020, what would be the best VR headset to invest in if money is no object? Kind of thinking of investing for now and for the future. I’ve read that there is a headset out there that requires a Facebook account…that would be a NO-NO for me.

Thanks for any insights.

I’ve got a valve index and it’s pretty great. I suspect a g2 is slightly superior for msfs just due to marginal higher res assuming you have a beast pc to support it. On the other hand index wins for many other types of vr gaming due to better controllers, better fov, faster refresh and more accurate tracking. Most of those things aren’t that relevant for msfs.

BTW I wouldt think too much about investing for the future. This tech is advancing rapidly. All headsets out today will be significantly improved upon in 2-3 years. The market is booming for VR atm following a bit of a lull for a couple of years post the original oculus/vive launches. Just took a while for enough people to get on the vr train i suppose.

That said I suppose it could be argued going down the index route is investing in the valve vr platform. I still use my original vive tracking cameras with the index. They seem pretty committed to interoperability.

Conversely a big worry about the g2 for me is microsofts involvement. MS are great at many things, hardware particularly long term support, ain’t one of them.

Anything is possible of course but I doubt Microsoft would end support for WMR. It is the same API they use for their Hololens and is what drives a few other VR headsets out there besides the G2.

100% agree.

For the record, I have had a fantastic time and a great VR experience with the HTC VIVE Pro.

@DMullert, It would be hard to recommend buying one new now, as it is older tech I have had mine for several years, and probably not the greatest value for money compared to newer headsets. Having said that if you can pick one up second hand from somebody who has recently upgraded to a G2 or a newer Rift, it might be a great entry into VR. It also works great with P3d, Xplane, elite dangerous, and really any room scale VR games I have played.

Define “best”.

Well! I figured that if I’m going to take the plunge, I might as well spend a little more for quality and for something that can allow me to get the most out of MSFS2020 for at keast the next 2 years.

Thanks for the response and fully understand. If I go Rift, what’s a good Rift? Does rift require a Facebook account? If I go G2, do you think that’s a good investment?

Thanks again

Thanks for your response. I’m thinking of going G2 but not sure if my specs will handle it. My specs are:

System Specs: Motherboard: Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master. CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core. Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB. GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid. Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD. HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware: Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M. Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals. Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha. Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

I’ve also been looking at the latest Rift but I am concerned about the Facebook account requirement.

Thanks again

If you’re buying a VR headset exclusively for MSFS, the G2 or other WMR are a good choice.

If you want an outstanding VR experience for everything, the Index is pretty much the gold standard atm. Those Index controllers are incredible as well. I still use my old HTC Vive, but got a set of Index controllers. Best VR controllers ever as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve not got a G2 so I don’t really know what specs you need to get decent performance. There are a lot of posts on here discussing performance for all the different headsets so I’d check those out.

The rift on the other hand is a great mid-range headset, but not really top end, not in the same class as the index/g2. In my opinion you buy a rift if you are already heavily invested in the oculus store, or you just don’t want to spend as much money. Not saying it’s bad. It’s a great headset for the price. But if “money is no object” you probably wouldn’t get it.

Your machine is better than mine, and i get a very smooth VR experience. the trick will be finding the sweet spot for render scale to ensure that you get a smooth experience. There is a thread here with settings recommendations and test results that I am sure you will find useful if you get the G2.

1 Like

This really depends on your PC.

I have a valve index + 8086k/1080ti and this game is unplayable.
Not because of the VR headset but because my rig just won’t deliver the frame rate needed to make it a comfortable experience. This would be even worse with the Reverb which has a higher resolution.
The frame rates are not simply a GPU thing in FlightSim2020 either. I see a lot of “CPU main thread” limitation when I check devmode FPS counter on my 1440p monitor so I also need a CPU uograde before I will be able to get proper use of VR in game.

In slower General Aviation aircraft doing simple things in quiet airspace it’s better.
Busy airspace with real time traffic and many human players kills my FPS (CPU)
High speed low level through cities at night kills my FPS (GPU)

However, if I had a better CPU+GPU then I would LOVE to do full speed through the streets of Dubai at night in the Aermacchi mb339. The sensation of speed would be just incredible!

Index user here and I would not ever want to miss out the big fov it provides. G2 is way too limited by that. Maybe the G3 one day

1 Like

So which Index do you guys recommend? I see thins thing it’s pricier than I thought…over $1K???

Ryzen 2700X and 2080 and it’s unplayable for me too. It’s nothing but a nausea inducing jerk fest of fake reprojected frames to give the impression of a smooth experience.

There’s only 1 Valve Index.

Yikes. $1,700 bucks!

I agree with you when I hear MS is involved I run just like I dumped my MSFS2020 copy from the MSStor and got a Steam version.
PS; I am currently using a Pimax 8K X and loving it.

Where do you live that it’s $1700? I’m in Canada, and we pay way more for ■■■■ here than the US, and it’s currently $1,319.00 CDN on the Steam store. That’s under $1000 US.

Amazon - USA