VR rumour?

Is this true?

If so, a lot of Oculus, etc owners are going to be a bit upset, I suspect!
1 Like

Yes, it was announced a while ago that vr will work with the HP Reverb 2 at first, & then other headsets will follow later.

I have an Oculus Rift… & a Reverb 2 on order! :grinning:

Regards
Steve

1 Like

It will work first on HP Reverb G2 AND WMR headsets. Oculus and others will follow.

Thank you for responding.
Yes, I understand that, but I suspect that currently, there are very few (if any) Flight Simmers with that particular product (the HP one), whereas there are quite a number with Oculus products. I suspect that the response to an HP release will be very scattered, with very little feedback given, until one of the more common VR rigs is implemented.
In other words, with the HP as the initial VR device, I suggest that MS don’t judge the demand for VR by the numbers that take it up with just the HP device.
Just my 2c

No…Not just the HP device…Any VR headset that supports Windows Mixed Reality is supported. This includes samsung devices (Odyssey), Asus, Acer, Lenovo. But, I agree…Oculus is quite important.

2 Likes

So the original article I quoted has got it wrong?

Yes…This was discussed ad nauseam during the alpha/beta testing after the announcement.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/solved-vr-discussion-thread-1-6-x/100553/328

I wonder, too, if folks are going to find just as for Nvidia cards, that it will take a new generation of VR headsets to fully do FS 2020 justice. And the VR headset lives off the graphics card, doesn’t it (showing my ignorance)??? So if current graphics cards are having trouble really delivering (with DX11 in the backbone), maybe it will take DX12, plus new GPU’s, to go with newer VR headsets. Or in my ignorance, am I missing something that’s magically going to make VR headsets work great when folks say the ultimate MSFS experience on a monitor is really going to be with future hardware, won’t that be true for VR as well??? - and there’ll be a bunch of complaints from folks in the forum with older headsets that the VR in the sim just doesn’t live up to their expectations. Here we go again …

As a VR/AR wannabee for years, my first obvious reaction on hearing about FS 2020 (and knowing nothing about other flight sims that already have it), was that a flight simulator is a perfect excuse with the wife for a must-have add-on for my sim experience - you don’t go anywhere and the world moves around you! (Duh!). So I hope my disappointment in not finding VR included in the initial release will be rectified soon. The longer it takes for a release and the less it costs for a REALLY good headset, the happier the wife will be. :slightly_smiling_face:

Private page. I can’t access it, but thanks, anyway.

" VR SUPPORT COMING TO MSFS

We are excited about the reception that Microsoft Flight Simulator has received from the community and look forward to its launch on August 18th. Today, we announced Microsoft Flight Simulator will support VR platforms beginning fall 2020 as a free update. VR support for Microsoft Flight Simulator will coincide with the HP Reverb G2 this fall. VR support will be available on all Windows Mixed Realty (WMR) headsets upon VR launch. Support for additional platforms/headsets will follow. Stay tuned for future updates."

Thank you for that.

I have an Samsung Odyssey plus (and a Oculus CV1 before that) for a while which I mainly use for Iracing. I have used it with many other games as well.

VR really does take a powerful PC (especially video card) but I find that if the particular game is really optimized well for VR it can be a great experience (which in most cases means: a lot less graphical details, while still trying to maintain a good looking game, immersion factor/usability is what counts the most. Not all games supporting VR are developed well to get that balance).

I can’t wait to try it out when it arrives, but I do expect I will need to buy a new videocard to get it to run smoothly on higher graphical settings, looking at what FS2020 hardware requirements are at this point. I have a Nvidia Titan X Pascal, which has a custom cooler and is overclocked a bit, with a AMD 3900 XT, which is barely enough for good performance on a 3400x1440 ultrawide and that is without VR in Flight Simulator 2020. Every other game/sim I own still runs great with this setup though.

Nvidia will be coming with a newer generation of videocards soon as well, so it probably is no coincidence that VR development has been planned around the same time newer hardware will be available. FS2020 will boost hardware sales a bit in general I think, so Intel, AMD, NVIDIA and HP and others are probably very happy with the hardware requirements, which brings an incentive for enthusiasts to spend thousands of dollars on new hardware. They would have been less happy if everything just would perform beautifully and very well on peoples current setups I think. So I think it can be possible to create a good VR experience, but it will probably need very high-end hardware AND good optimization.

I did try Xplane in VR a while ago with an Oculus CV1, but this really needed finetuning a lot of settings and with the CV1 not having the best resolution, the panels inside the cockpit where not looking great to read. So it was more of a fun demo kind of thing (immersion was really great), but not someting I would do for more than half an hour because it was to tiring on the eyes.

VR until now has always been a compromise between good graphics/details and perfomance. I don’t expect this to change with FS2020 and the HP Reverb 2, but I hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Resolution wise the reverb g2 does look like it’s able to produce an image where cockpit instruments are readable. The through the lens videos of XP11 VR of a pre production unit on the MRTV YouTube channel makes it look like a big jump in the right direction. I’ve already budgeted a next gen card when they’re available to go with the g2, it will be interesting to see how well the compromise is balanced between image quality and performance.

Nobody has the HP Reverb G2 because it’s not out yet. The reason Microsoft have said it’ll work with this first is because Microsoft are in collaboration with HP (and one or two others) it’s basically their own headset.
The G2 is due for release mid September, so I reckon MSFS will get VR support at around the same time, or at least I hope so :grinning:

Regards
Steve

1 Like

I highly doubt that MSFS will have VR support this September. If it will, then only with very low settings.
The performance for VR simply isn’t there, fastest machines struggling with photogrammetry areas right now. Vr will only fly with directx 12 and this is going to be a long way. If I get proven wrong my Reverb will be happy :smile:

Steve I’m in the same boat. I ordered the G2 as well having the Rift for a number of years. I think the G2 is the closiest we’ll get to a Rift 2 for a while and with the Revive plugin it will find and play all Rift Store games so it’s a no brainer. The only inconvience I think are the battery on the controllers which probably will mean investment in rechargables.

1 Like

This might be but I don’t it’s as bad as you say - I can get a solid 60 fps is most parts of the globe on 1440p monitor - so I’m guessing if I optimise my settings and MS improves the sim a little - achieving 45fps should be possible which can be doubled to achieve 90fps on the WMR headset.

1 Like

MSFS in VR on Reverb G2 should run similarly as 4k right now. So on high details you might be able to get 60fps on 2080ti. Probably it will be best suited for new cards, 3080 or 3090 to play in high details. Possibly with a few tweaks. On lower res. VR sets it should be fine on 2080super, 2080ti and higher.

I have Vive and Reverb G2 on order.

TBH, I ordered the Reverb G2 before the announcement by Valve and MS.

I wanted the 2160 x 2160 per eye with no mura.

Just got lucky with MSFS2020.

1 Like

I installed a RTX2080ti especially for the Reverb G2.

IFAIK, the video output will be 90 fps alternating between eyes, giving 45 fps per eye.

The advantage with an upper end GPU will be no micropausing and better jaggies.
Plus clamped-on 45 fps per eye.