VR rumour?

I highly advise that you start tuning your gaming Rig, especially the OS, in preparation for VR.
If you’re running Win10 without having optimized it you’re not only slower today, you’ll have a tough time in VR. Non-Optimized Win10 gives upwards of 30% at points in your processes to MSFT, as well as having in-game stutters when processes you don’t need kick off and zap cycles randomly.

The VR4DCS blog & Discord has tuning meant for Reverbs in DCS, but guess what? Works fantastically for FS2020 or flat screeners. You won’t need the SteamVR parts unless you need it for other sims.

Also, you’ll very much want 32 GB of RAM in VR, don’t skimp. Sure it “will” run in 16 GB, runs a LOT better with an optimized Rig and 32 GB. The VR requirements are vast in DCS, and they’ve worked through most of the Rig optimizations to make that a smooth experience. Use the knowledge to get started for FS2020.

If you’re using a Reverb today and haven’t been through the setup, likely you aren’t getting the full native resolution of the Reverb and clarity. It’s more technical of a setup today than we want. Hopefully the updated WMR with the MSFT/Valve/HP teaming makes it more out of the box clear.

If you’re headed for a 30xx card, you’ll need the added RAM to not bottleneck. If your processor is already lower end, that’ll likely need upgraded too. VR stresses each level of your Rig and running at a minimum spec if you want all the clarity of a Reverb, means upgrades. CV1 or Rift S, probably not so much given less than half the pixels to push as a Reverb.

1 Like

I can’t agree that the Rift S has anywhere near the clarity of a Reverb.
I can only guess the Reverb hasn’t been optimized if that seems to be the case.
It could also be the mura the Reverb has. It causes a light dirt-smeared view for some, while others barely see it. Fixed in G2.

I own CV-1, O+, Lenovo WMR, PIMAX 5k+, Rift S, Reverb G1 - the differences in view are striking.

My point isn’t to argue against a perspective, as perspectives differ especially in VR. I only mean to suggest the G1 may not be fully tuned. The physical capabilities differ so greatly, you should definitely expect a greater difference between them, and there is when optimized.

Rift S at 1280x1440 80Hz can’t get nearly the clarity of text and gauge reading of a Reverb.
Reverb at 2160x2160 90Hz is very clear in VR Sims.

A Rift S is the big Easy Button in VR. Acceptable view for Sims, well priced, easy software to use.
The Reverb is Clarity King, but you deal with the less than magical process of WMR/SteamVR setup and tuning for most Sims.
Def a trade-off there.

1 Like

In term of pixel density / definition, the Pimax 8kx is a blast, even with no supersampling (and with impressive fov)…hopefully, the new RTX30x0 generation of GPU will be able to run all thes pixels!!

1 Like

Presbyopia can come in different degrees of severity depending on how old you are and whether you have had cataract surgery, etc. Being almost 75 now and having had cataract surgery (natural lenses removed and replaced by fixed “infinite” focal length plastic lenses), I have reasonably severe presbyopia. I need a diopter correction of at least +2.5 OD to focus on things close up and about +1.25 OD to see things 3 to 5 ft. away clearly.

We got a kiddie VR science kit for the holidays for our grandkids that uses a smartphone inserted in a set of goggles. There, the image on the smartphone screen is very close to my eyes and unless I wear full lens reading glasses or use a smartphone VR headset offering diopter correction, the 3D image generated is very blurry for me, e.g. helicopter flying thousands of feet over an active volcano.

Perhaps high-end VR goggles are more flexible in how they generate the image. This two-year old Reddit post on an Oculus discussion forum claims most high-end VR images are presented as if they are at least 1.5 m (6 ft) away (actually, 4.9 ft) and if you can see clearly at that distance with presbyopia (and/or hyperopia - far-sightedness), you’ll be able to wear a high-end VR headset without any further correction. And the post claims, just as I found for the kiddie smartphone VR headset, that wearing reading glasses under the headset with a + OD correction will help if you have really bad eyes. kwx comments on VR for Presbyopia users? (reddit.com) (have to click “View Entire Discussion,” then “Continue This Thread,” to see kwx’s comments in their entirety).

So sometime in the New Year, I’ll have to give it a try and see how clearly high-end VR goggles work for me with and without some + OD diopter help.

Edit_Update: I see back on September 3rd, Kilrahvp also mentioned being able to focus at least down 2 to 3 m as the critical distance but I’d forgotten and have since looked up my prescription. Looks like I’m in danger of crossing that distance threshold. VR rumour? - #29 by Kilrahvp

Update02: Found a video by Sebastian Ang on what size glasses will fit inside Reverb G2. Also mentions the possibility of 3rd-party lens adapters to add to G2 lenses: https://youtu.be/C_u7xiJRQME

Varjo just released it’s new versions: https://varjo.com/products/vr-3/

It’s clearly focusing on professional use, however with the pricing halved to ~4k EUR it might get interesting for flightsim enthusiasts. The perrformance is a blast, it’s center has a ‘human eye resolution’. However, I’m not sure if a 3080 or 3090 could really run MSFS with that high resolution…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.