Vr still crashed when using mouse - after 3 years

When flying in VR, seated in pilot position, if you use your mouse to “reach across” the cockpit to adjust something, i.e. the upper overhead panel switches, some items in the autopilot panel, etc - this creates a CTD. The program still shows on the screen, but it is frozen. The only solution is to reboot MSFS2020 - which can be a problem, as the logbook only records a “completed” flight, parked, engines shut down, then batteries off. If the SIM crashes before then, no matter how long the flight (I just lost a 5.5 hour flight last night), you do not get credit for in in the sim logbook, much less get to finish the approach. This has been a CONSISTENT PROBLEM that has gone UNADDRESSED by Microsoft for 3 years. Please solve this for MSFS 2024. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m sorry for you experiencing this. To help you with this issue you should probably provide more details of your setup. I used to fly with Reverb G2, now I have Pimax Crystal and I never experienced this problem.
Did you attempt the first troubleshooting step in MSFS - temporarily removing all the add-ons?
l also used to experience some CTDs, disabling rolling cache in MSFS cured this.

Asobo/Microsoft is probably not reading this forum, so there is only the users community who may be able to help you.

It’s so consistent that I have never experienced it after over 1000h flying in VR, or even heard of it. You might be the only person with this problem. Have you ever reported it to Asobo?

2 Likes

I have this problem !!!

Are you sure there isn’t a window which has opened in the background awaiting input?
For example, when loading a saved flight an explorer window will pop up on the desktop (in 2D), making it appear that VR has completely frozen, but in fact it’s just waiting for you to choose a file, in 2D.

It’s caught me out on many an occasion and I’ve force-closed the sim only to realise what has happened…

1.500 flights in VR for me, and this problem has never occured. As others said, I never even heard or read about it in the forum…

Do the log file provide any clues about what is happening in your case?

That is not a CTD. By definition, CTD means Crash-To-Desktop and its defining property is that the software (MSFS) disappears suddenly from the screen, not stays on the screen frozen. This, and the fact that most people do not experience it, points to an issue specific to your configuration.

What headset are you using?
What motherboard are you using?
What video card are you using?
Are you using any external USB hubs?

Hopefully the two of you can compare system specs, installs, and settings.

Definitely not a normal bug.

1 Like

As it’s been said in previous comments, what aircraft are you flying? I’ve had a lot of problems with VR but never this one. It doesn’t sound like an MSFS issue but an add-on issue.

1 Like

I had this problem since the beginning on both flat screen and with the pimax. I finally solved the problem for me by running FS in full screen mode, not windowed. Went from holding my breath each time I had to use the mouse to interact to fully enjoying the sim.

One other thing I did was get a wired track ball instead of a mouse since it is easier to use in VR as it sets right behind my joystick. With it always in the same place and a big scroll wheel, it is almost as natural now as turning knobs by hand…

Problem “appears” to be solved by disabling the “rolling cache” . Last 3 or 4 flights…no CTDs. Full functionality in the VR environment. Thank you stekusteku!

Maybe your rolling cache file was corrupt? Try deleting it and then enable it again. I always do this after any msfs updates. Also clear your windows DX cache (windows disk cleaner). I’m not having any mouse problems with my Quest 3/Pro or Vive Pro1 headsets.