VR view drift requires frequent view resets

Brief description:

For almost 2 years, my Reverb G2 has required VR view resets every 1-2 minutes to keep the view centered, so much so that I had to devote a button to it. I thought it was because the G2 uses in-headset tracking, but sadly the same drift occurs on my new external lighthouse setup. It drifts far more in MSFS than any other title (e.g. DCS).

Steps to reproduce:

Start flight in VR. Reset the VR view. Play the sim normally, looking around and changing views. Return to pilot view and watch the center position drift over several iterations. Reset every 1-2 minutes. Rinse and repeat 100s of times.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up:

Reverb G2 and Varjo Aero with lighthouse tracking on various computers.

Build Version #s affected:

All versions since the beginning

When I experienced this problem, I found that it was the fault of my HOTAS. One of the switches that I set to pan my view was getting ever-so-slightly stuck in an active position. I expanded its dead zone in the controls set up and the problem was fixed.

1 Like

Make sure you clear environment data under WMR settings.

3 Likes

Old thread but I found it while trying to solve the same problem. I tried everything and had almost given up. I finally found the problem and the solution. My VR setup faced a 42” TV and a blank wall. There weren’t enough static reference points for the cameras on the G2 to “lock” on to. The monitor image always changed so had no fixed reference and if I turned the monitor off, there was a black featureless screen with still nothing to reference. I printed out huge random QR codes and taped 4 of them to the wall and bottom bezel of the TV. I’d imagine anything with high contrast features would work.

Immediately after taping these printouts so that they could be seen by the G2’s cameras, all drifting immediately ceased. I was able to fly a full flight without a single reset or any drift. That has never happened from my first use of the headset.

Hope this helps other “me’s” out there.

2 Likes