VR with airlink (quest 2) totally broken

Hi everyone,

i don’t know what happened, but my quest2 with airlink is totally unplayable.

Here is what happens: airlink works fine without FS2020 started. As soon as i launch a flight (when in the “ready to fly” screen), even without launching VR, the airlink becomes very laggy (borders = giant black freezing zone etc). Lauching VR is 5fps lag feast of course…

I deactivated openxr toolikit, put all settings to medium, nothing changes. Seems like the PC can’t deal FS2020 + airlink at the same time, which is new because everything was fine before lets say 40th birthday patch.

My set : 3070, 5600X 32gb,

Does anyone had same issue and found a solution? help please !

It works fine without all the allegedly FPS enhancement, it seems to go back to FSX when people thought changing an INI file would give them FPS :slight_smile:

However I would suggest to use a cable for MSFS as by itself is already bandwith heavy, I tried mine wireless with my PC connected via lan cable (as it should) and MSFS is the only, literally, game that does not allow me to get the same level of visual fidelity (and I play Fallout VR with it wireless no problem).

Some of the tool you mention do write data, disabling isn’t enough, reset their default to standard value and ensure you do not have upscale set to 1.1 for example on two separate tools as it adds up.

I got a £15 cable of Amazon which I use exclusively with MSFS, no other game gave any sort of decrease in performance whatsoever with the Quest 2 and AirLink :slight_smile:

I agree! I don’t have any problems with any VR experience at all.

Except MSFS.

It’s been said many times how badly VR appears to have been implemented.

However I can use the airlink. I have a 150Mps connexion and it’s usable mostly. I have all VR settings set to default and do not use any other tweaks.

I suggest, if you haven’t done it already, that you make sure you are connecting to the 5ghz band of your router and that it hasn’t defaulted to the 2.4ghz band.

150Mbps seems quite low for an wireless connection to a VR headset. I am using the Pico 4 an use a 866Mbps connection for a resolution of 3300x3300@90Hz per eye (connection done via “Virtual Desktop” application).
The Pico itselve requests a minimum of 800Mbps to work correctly for this configuration.
For the OP it worked fine previously some time ago (since he stated it worked presumanly prior 40th anniversary edition), so it could easly be, that something in the router settings changed in the meanwhile and the wifi connections isn’t capable of high connection speeds anymore → check the router settings and connection quality.

But wireless VR in general should work quite well with MSFS. At least it does for me.

Thanks to all for your answers,
I checked my connection it is Wifi6 all the way, with 500mbps.

Anyway airlink is not the problem, i checked other games (rogue squadron for example), no problem.

Strange thing is that as i mentionned, FS2020 makes airlink freezing (when in the airlink desk where you can lauch apps), lagging etc, even without VR activated. seems like FS is saturating (this words exits in english i hope :slight_smile: ) the bandwith,
this is new because i never experienced this before.

I hate this, reminds me tweaking my pc to make wing commander 2 working despite only 512ko ram (this is good memories though!)

1 Like

My Encode Dynamic Bitrate was somehow set to 10 and that created the same issues you are having. Check what your setting is in the Oculus Debug Tool. I have it set to 2912 at the moment and get great results.

Memories! I paid $150 for 4MB RAM and also upgraded my CPU from an 8086 to 8088 which solved the stutters. Happy days Hobbs!

2 Likes

Did exactly the same to get the voices ! but god that was worth the pain

Back to FS2020, i deleted openxr completly, and following a youtube tuto, activated the service/toggle windows console visilibty, in the oculus debug tool

Well don’t know how it works, but now back to normal (open xr was supposed to be deactivated so…). I have descent fluid game at 90hz/1.4x, and “high” settings…in Male (maldivian) airport.

I hope this can help anyone stuck in the setting madness to get back to normal

1 Like

:rofl: … oh yes indeed, I also was in this situation back in the day (I had the CD version, makeing things even worse with the need of a CD-ROM driver also loaded), wing commander 3 doesn’t make anything easier too :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,
Did you ever get this resolved as I have exactly the same problem where the Oculus pc link home screen cant even render when MSFS is running, even over USB cable? Odd thing is that it usually works absolutely fine if I start Oculus first and launch FS from the steam app menu. If I then take the headset off for a sec and it disconnects from the PC link it’s game over as Oculus can’t even get more than 1 or 2 fps when it reconnects and can’t paint the graphics on the Oculus PC link home screen. At this point FS is just running on the PC and not using any PC to Oculus bandwidth, so it just doesn’t make sense.

Would be great to get a solution as it’s becoming unusable as is. It worked perfectly fine with cable or airlink until recently.

Thanks for any help.