VR with Quest 2 - Settings Adventure - Time To Go Fly It

With the starting point of @Deelee6800 (is that a reference to the Motorola 6800 of 1976?), I have arrived at a point where I can stop tweaking and start flying. I cannot say that I am happy enough with the visuals to “never go back to 2D” flying, but I think that VR is so helpful in my helicopter landings that I will probably use VR whenever I want to fly the heli.

VR stayed alive for a 1h 40m Cabri G2 helicopter flight out of Glasgow Scotland. Other than the “gamey” buildings/trees, and some weird (and very annoying) color banding over water - I consider these settings the best compromise my combination of CPU/GPU/HMD can give for my kind of flying (VFR GA at 0-1000 feet AGL) for quality and smooth rendering. If I move my head too fast the visuals stutter, but for normal look around and for takeoffs/landings it is smooth enough. Sometimes, when I feel my pulse heavily, my eyes seem to jump a little causing very brief double vision.

Video comparison flying the Cabri G2 in VR with the Quest 2 versus flying in 2D (on 24" 4K monitor)

These are my settings:

Using screen shots from the video - haven’t figured out how to get these with my setup yet

Note “Shaking reduction” is called “Over-Prediction Reduction” in my OpenXR toolkit, and shows warning “Breaks ASW” but I have ASW disabled so no problem

UserCfg.opt: EyeAdaptation and Sharpen both set to 0 in the VR section

1 Like