VR World Scale

Should be slightly bigger than that, but not a lot more. This post shows a C172 yoke – it’s only 9inches (~23cm) wide. http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24912

Like I said, I’m not here to dismiss the possibility that some headsets have scale issues with how the world is rendered. I can only speak for the Oculus stuff, which has been quite accurate in my experience. I just want to make sure that those who think it’s ‘way too small’ but have never sat in one have their expectations properly calibrated. Many would be shocked by how tiny real life cockpits actually are. Once that’s established, then we can determine if the rendering scale really is off.

1 Like

OP here, as i said on my initial post, i have flown C152 (actually flown) and C172 too, i know it is small but my FS2020 plane is noticeable smaller, like the yoke feels it is 15cm wide while the real one is more than 20cm. But i recently chatted about this with a real world commercial pilot who has plenty of real life hours and he immediately agreed that the cockpits are too small.

But this may vary person to person. Even the seat position alters this somewhat.

5 Likes

It’s possible the app isn’t incorporating the user’s IPD correctly, then. Assuming you have the IPD set correctly on your physical lenses (on the Quest 2 they only have 3 settings, so you’re already a bit limited there), the app also receives the IPD spacing data from the headset and is supposed to render the eyepoint cameras with the same offset. Our perception of scale is rooted in how far apart our eyes are, so the app has to render with the same spacing between images. Maybe it’s stuck on a default value that isn’t changing, so for people with IPDs farther away from this value, things look wrong…? Just a guess.

2 Likes

+1 for a VR World Scale slider. This has been running fantastic for me on Rift S but the scale of some things is quite immersion breaking. The Kitfox DLC is about 50-75% correct scale. I thought that was just an issue with that model until I parked next to a building and physically stood between the two and saw they were the same scale but I was twice as big.

I’m RW pilot, C172 in reverb G2 with IPD 64.5 mm seems too small to me, I would say 15-20%, without attempting any measurements in VR.

YES, the scale is wrong. No need to compare photos of a C172 yoke. Juszt look down on Your seat.
If Your ■■■ fits on this kindergarden-chair, You’re lucky. Mine doesn’t :wink:

So - is there another place to tell the devs to make a scale slider IMMEDIATELY?

Scaling should be an IPD thing. On my Rift S everything looks fine so if it looks weird maybe try changing IPD however it’s done on your headset. If your IPD is correct (or close enough) and the scaling still looks wrong then it’s probably a bug.

I do believe that there is a scaling issue for some users, just based on the sheer number of complaints. But, that said – the seats in a C152 and even a 172 do look pretty much like a kindergarten chair. They are nothing like the size of a chair you would choose to sit in anywhere else. The entire cockpit of a 152 seems like a prank the first time you sit in one, and yes the yoke is comically small. It’s definitely not what most people would expect in their imagination.

For reference, see these pics of two adult men in a 152 and the dimensions of the cabin width: https://imgur.com/a/hSJKaeV The instrument panel is only 34" wide. The spot where your & your copilot’s feet rest on the floor is only 26" to 28" depending on the year. Try putting marks on your desk at those widths and now imagine being inside a box that wide with another fully grown adult. It’s smaaaaaall.

Yea, we all know the Cessna’s are small. But let’s consider the fact, that you should still be able to fit in one. I mean, if I adjust the camera so I would feel like I’m sitting on the seat, my head is almost poking through the roof. And if I lower the cam, so my head’s inside the plane, it feels like my torso is severed by the seat. I’m a tall guy (6’2), but I had a chance to sit in a C152 and it really wasn’t that bad…

Try increasing IPD to make world scale bigger and opposite to make it smaller. MSFS and anything VR related probably needs to be restarted after adjusting for change to take effect.
Have your IPD measured by optometrist for free to confirm that your IPD is correct, i bet loads of people use their headset with incorrect IPD.
Perceived world scale can differ between headsets, my Vive has smaller scale than my Pimax.
And yes, ability to adjust world scale would be nice.

All the GA look too small in VR, immersion killer.
Hope they fix it, should not be too hard.
(Real GA pilot, fly 3 to 4 times per week)

1 Like

I am first using the default Cessna 172 in VR and it sure does look to small. I have over 100 hours in a real 172 and everything in the cockpit looks to small using a HP Reverb G2.

I also have X-Plane and with the HP Reverb G2 the default Cessna 172 is certainly bigger. I have put my left touch controller on the left door and the right touch controller on the right door then measure the distance between the controllers and it is very close to a real Cessna 172.

On my MSFS I do not see the controllers so cannot do the same test but am sue it will not match a real Cessna 172.

This problem is not related to the IPD.
Changing this just moves the sweetspot of Your lenses out/in Your eyecenter.

There is another thread here which expklaines the real cause of the problem.

1 Like

Please vote!

[FEATURE REQUEST] Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR

This is not true, it also changes the projection matrices per eye. Try this: get very close to a switch on an overhead panel, I mean the switch nearly touching your “virtual noze”, then move the slider and observe how the perspective changes as well.

Why can’t they just look at XPlane and make it like that.

You might be able to fix the scale using the Steam app FPSVR , it has an IPD offset utility. I don’t have Gamepass anymore so I can’t try this potential solution.

And it changes distance between viewports, ie. virtual cameras that represent each eye, otherwise scale would be incorrect for anyone outside default IPD distance. If you don’t see difference in scale immediately try restarting game/steamVR. I doubt there are differences between headsets here but on headsets i used effect is plainly visible.

I tried to point out that with all the influx of new VR users i bet a lot don’t have a clue on how to measure and adjust IPD properly and tend to just set it to value that looks best to them. Ensuring that IPD is set correctly should be first thing to do before trying other things, otherwise they could work against each other.

If I have the info right left door to right door of a Cessna 172 is 34" so when we get controller support you can put your left and right controllers on the doors and measure that distance.

My guess is that it is less but time will tell. This has nothing to do with IPD but how the model was scaled when it was created.

I have done the same thing in X-Plane and I have found the default Cessna 172 is very close to the correct dimensions.

1 Like

You don’t need controllers for that, just use your headset. Place it at one point, mark in real world, place it on another and measure distance.
We need to differentiate here between perceived world scale (can vary due to headset design, IPD and other things) and actual RL to VR scale ratio which should always be 1:1 unless devs scaled things incorrectly.
My understanding is that the issue here is with perceived world scale.

Some planes feel a bit small but the A320 cockpit feels too large on the other hand. The throttle lever is so far away I wouldn’t be able to reach it without bending over. Is it only me noticing that?

2 Likes